Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 mk4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi F5 family, at the beginning of October I finally realised a life long dream and received my FFR MK4 289. I’ve been lucky enough to work on it a couple of hours every day ever since it arrive. I love how easy its all been going together and after a lifetime of playing with old muscle cars it’s so nice to be working on something thats not rusted with hard to get parts. It’s a right hand drive car so I’ve had some small problems like the mounting bracket for the power steering rack not on the wrong side. No biggie I just had to weld on a bit mor metal onto the frame and re drill the holes. Also the pedal mounting is different to the LHD cars.
I have test fitted my engine and gearbox and was shocked to see it is 70mm ( 2.75 inches ) to far forward. I have the correct 8.375 tail shaft and with the engine bolted in the gearbox doesn’t reach the A-frame mount ( an inch in front) and the tail shaft spline just touches the rear of the gearbox. I went on line to compare photos and it looks to me the welded engine mounts are too far forward.
Can someone please do me a favour and measure the distance from the centre of the front cross member and the front of your engine mounts. I’ll attach a couple off photos. Thanks in advance everyone
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle Gas

Automotive design Electronic instrument Automotive exterior Trunk Audio equipment

Wheel Tire Sports equipment Automotive tire Bumper

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Engineering

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi F5 family, at the beginning of October I finally realised a life long dream and received my FFR MK4 289. I’ve been lucky enough to work on it a couple of hours every day ever since it arrive. I love how easy its all been going together and after a lifetime of playing with old muscle cars it’s so nice to be working on something thats not rusted with hard to get parts. It’s a right hand drive car so I’ve had some small problems like the mounting bracket for the power steering rack not on the wrong side. No biggie I just had to weld on a bit mor metal onto the frame and re drill the holes. Also the pedal mounting is different to the LHD cars.
I have test fitted my engine and gearbox and was shocked to see it is 70mm ( 2.75 inches ) to far forward. I have the correct 8.375 tail shaft and with the engine bolted in the gearbox doesn’t reach the A-frame mount ( an inch in front) and the tail shaft spline just touches the rear of the gearbox. I went on line to compare photos and it looks to me the welded engine mounts are too far forward.
Can someone please do me a favour and measure the distance from the centre of the front cross member and the front of your engine mounts. I’ll attach a couple off photos. Thanks in advance everyone View attachment 365739
View attachment 365737
View attachment 365736
View attachment 365738
Can someone please do me a favour and measure the distance from the centre of the front cross member and the front of your engine mounts. I’ll attach a couple off photos. Thanks in advance everyone View attachment 365739
View attachment 365737
View attachment 365736
View attachment 365738
Mine measures right at ten inches, I have 302-351 Windsor mounts. My car was built in 2018.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I received a very early RHD Mk4 in 2011. My engine mounts were the correct distance front to rear, however the left to right positioning was incorrect. The Coyote was never going to fit, as the RH bank was well and truly hitting on the pedal assembly. (I suspect that FFR had welded in the mounts for LHD application). The sideways alignment with the IRS diff was also too far out, meaning there was excess angle in the tail shaft. I ended up cutting off the original mounts, which took ages when you are trying not to grind away any of the metal tubing. I then hung the motor and gearbox in position and aligned the tail shaft. From there I moved forward and armed with a heap of cereal packets made templates for new mounts. These were then transferred onto plate and hand cut with a plasma. Tacked them into place, then removed engine/gearbox and welded the whole shebang permanently into place. To get good tailshaft alignment, the engine sits slightly skewed, but you would never notice it unless you go looking for it.

My tail shaft is ~100mm longer. TKO600 with mid shift.

The bolt holes in the bottom of the rear gearbox mount were right above the fold in the A frame (ie about 20-25mm further back than your photo.

Hope this helps. BTW, where in Oz are you located?

Cheers, Nigel

·
Registered
289 mk4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Nigel. I didn’t realise they had done the RHD kits that long. I wonder if the engine mount position is different between the Coyotes and the SBF? My biggest frustration is I’ve asked the F5 tech department 4 or 5 times for the measurements and they have me running around like a blue ass fly checking everything else but won‘t give me the measurement.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the info Nigel. I didn’t realise they had done the RHD kits that long. I wonder if the engine mount position is different between the Coyotes and the SBF? My biggest frustration is I’ve asked the F5 tech department 4 or 5 times for the measurements and they have me running around like a blue ass fly checking everything else but won‘t give me the measurement.
I know that on my M4 the engine is off set to right it looks like over a inch.

·
Registered
289 mk4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The answer to my problem was finally found. The RHD jig used at F5 for welding the chassis was set up wrong. The mounts were welded too far forward (not too sure how far as I still didn’t get the measurements I requested 11 days ago). F5 are sending me out a fresh set of mounts to weld in myself. I’m not too sure if I should post a warning to other RHD MK4 owners as my kit was built at the beginning of 2021 and they only just discovered the error after my intervention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.