Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of returning/exchanging some parts with a forum vendor. When discussing with the head honcho there was no mention of a restocking fee. After calling and verifying that the returned parts has arrived and the new ones would be shipped soon, I gave my credit card number for the difference in cost. The new parts were more expenssive than the returned ones, that part I was aware of. I then asked what the credit amount for the old parts was and was told an amount that was quite a bit less that what I calculated that it should be. I was then informed that there was a 25% restocking fee. This turns out to be about $100.00 or so. I have returned things to other venders even when the mistake was my fault and have recieved full credit. In one case that was totally my fault, I was credited the shipping fees as well. I am just a little ..... about a 25% restocking fee. This is a company that I have spend over $4000.00 with, more than any other company with the exception of Factory Five.
I am just wondering what other peoples thoughts are. I know alot of the people on this forum have bought and returned alot of things with alot of different vendors and suppliers. I am in the automotive service industry myself and understand that returnd items are not money makers but a neccessary part of doing bussiness in this day and age. And I can see a restocking fee but 25%???

[ September 20, 2007, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Clyde's Keeper ]

·
Junior Charter Member
1,080 Posts
I would love to guess! I'm pretty sure I would be right. Does it have to do with the drivetrain and brakes??

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I have had some high restocking fees applied as well. I am now very careful about return / exchange policy. I know that it does cost a lot to take something back depending on what your distribution system is like.

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,134 Posts
Assuming the error is from the buyer, I think a small restocking fee is appropriate - like 5-10%. If the error is the sellers, then a restocking fee is absurd.

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
25% sounds high.

·
Charter Member
574 Posts
I'm not a vendor, but think about it from the vendors point-of-view. Most of the time if something has shipped, it has been removed from the package. If you were to be buying something new, and received it in a package that had been opened you wouldn't be happy. So now the returned item has to be inspected, just to see if it could be resold, and then repackaged. Even a small vendor has to pay someone to do this. I'd bet half the time when something is returned, it can't be resold, so the vendor has to eat it. Even if it's not the sort of item that has packaging involved, then is it something that turns over fast, or is the vendor going to have hang on to it for a couple of months? A $400 item that the vendor grossed 10%, now he's got to hang onto a $400 part with the hope that he might get his $40 bucks back...meanwhile he can't use that $400 returned item for nothing more then a decorative paperweight.

Just my .02

·
Registered
299 Posts
I remember someone saying "Finishline" charged them a $5 restocking fee on a $20 engine start button, even though the vendor never even shipped the item out.

The customer cancelled the order before it was ever shipped after being quoted a ridiculous shipping fee.

My vote has to be for finishline.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,022 Posts
IMO, 25% seems excessive especially if this was not disclosed by the vendor up front. It took you asking about why the smaller-than-expected credit to uncover it.

I understand if it was my fault, etc., but I'm also appreciative of vendors that give the benefit of the doubt to the customer.

Like said above, I'd discuss with the head honcho. Heck, you returned stuff and bought MORE EXPENSIVE stuff...

Edit:

Ah, the other side of the story makes the picture clearer. Good lesson for us all--make sure we communicate well with who we're dealing with.

[ September 20, 2007, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Gale Kicha ]

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
Lots of places charge a restocking fee, but not as high as 25%. If you were exchanging for equal or more expensive stuff, most places forget about it.

Sorry to hear about it, but I think most of us have had to deal with some amount of absolute no-way-ever-o-getting it back loss on our builds for one reason or another. Don't get me started.

Good luck, and just keep going. Soon enough you'll be behind the wheel and forget all your troubles, ever.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
25% is way too much, especially when you consider that you applied it toward a more expensive item.
10% would be a lot more resonable. Just my $.02...

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
I would agree with everyone, including Mac1. 25% is way overboard, however standard retail restocking fees are 15%. If you factor in an online vendor having to eat the cost of shipping, they may mark their fees up a little. Even still, 25% is too much.

I would let the vendor know that you have drawn a line in the sand. If the wrong part was your fault, offer to split the restocking fee with him. If it was his fault, he needs to eat the fee. Either way, if they didn't meet my request, I would let them know that they will no longer be doing business with me. I'm sure that most vendors realize that whatever you are buying is carried by more than one vendor.

BTW, I, for one, would like to know who the vendor is. I would likely not purchase anything from a vendor who will not budge on this. After you get it resolved, you should post the vendor's name on here and what resolution you got.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
If the parts had been installed or used in any way - a restocking fee is appropriate. Now 25% may be too much - it depends on the parts. If I were a vendor and took back a set of brake pads that had already been used - I would have to think that I was going to have to sell them to someone at a substantial savings - or - I'd eat them...

Some of our vendors work on pretty small margins. Some are cottage industry vendors that don't sell huge volumes. I'd be very careful about naming this vendor and I would also spend some time looking at it from his perspective..

Arm your head with facts from both sides and let your heart be your judge..

·
8,356 Posts
If you've spent a lot of $ with them, and you are returning a part in exchange for another part (even if it was your fault) I would think that you might be charged postage + a small restocking fee....but 25% on an item which costs over $25 seems excessive. Speak to the vendor again and explain your rational...and about our vendor feedback (lots of us are on other forums also, and the word gets around). If you do another build later on, I'm sure they would like your repeat business.

All my mistakes are on the shelf in the garage waiting to be itemized for craig's list or ebay.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
With regards to naming the vendor....I don't look at it as bad mouthing the vendor. Even the original post was not speaking badly of the vendor. All the original poster would be doing is letting the rest of us know who has a policy of 25% restocking fees. This is a policy that should be readily available on the vendor's website or told to potential buyer's on the phone.

As a vendor, if you have a policy that you believe is fair, you should not have a problem with people knowing that you have that policy.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
A high re-stocking fee is just a way of sellers keeping people from buying/returning things frivolously. The vendor still pays his employees and heats his building whether you return something or not. With that said, if the parts can't be resold as new without refurb, or repackaging, a fee is appropriate.

strictly my humble opinion

c

·
Have Kit Will Build
291 Posts
Were the parts still new and returned in the original pkg so the vendor could still sell them as new? Is so then I think 25% is a little steep but not unheard of. Is there any other reason you feel the vendor is justified in charging this amouont on your parts? An imortant thing for me to know is having this info stated clearly up front - it would not necessarily stop me from shopping there - but I definitely would be more careful.

·
Master Builder
1,243 Posts
I purchased a load of parts from Jegs, including a fuel pump and water pump , and when they wouldnt work with the pulley set ups and remote oil filter adapter. They took them back ,they even paid shipping. Then they sent out the correct parts. It was no bodys fault they didnt work. These parts had been installed already but I did have the boxes. I explained that the parts had been installed , and they still took them back. NO CHARGES ! I understand most forum vendors are not the size company of Jegs , but 25% for return is high if parts were new ,unsed condition in orig package.

·
5,559 Posts
Please post the name of the vendor, not to bash them, but so that we will all be aware of the policy. Personally, if I were not just returning something, but also placing another order with them - especially a higher priced item like you did, I would definitely dispute the charge! Is this policy clearly spelled out on their website? If it is not, then you could easily dispute the charge through the credit card company you paid for the item with. With the type of cars we build, there is always a possibility that you will make a mistake when ordering parts, because there is no "set" application like there is with production cars. Any vendor that deals with us, should know, and expect this to be the case. Now, if you were just returning the part without buying anything else, then a restocking fee is appropriate, and expected, but not 25%!

my opinion...
Brian

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.