Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our annual Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run date is coming up Saturday, September 15th. Who’s in?

2018 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run

Tail of the Dragon = 318 curves in 11 miles
Cherohala Skyway = 43 miles of God's Country that leaves no doubt as to why it was registered a National Scenic Byway

Same schedule as years past (GPS “addresses” for anyone meeting along the way):

05:45 Charlotte-area group departs Sheetz gas station at I-77, Exit 42 (1023 Charlotte Hwy, Troutman, NC 28166)

08:00 Arrive Cracker Barrel I-40, Exit 44 (depart there ~09:00) (5 Crowell Rd Asheville, NC 28806)

10:00 Stop for refueling at Smokey Man Bait & Tackle (4470 US-19, Bryson City, NC 28713)

11:00 Arrive Fontana Dam Visitor’s Center (“Fontana Dam and Visitors Center, Stecoah NC”)

Catch up with the TN, SC & GA folks we haven’t seen since last year. Run the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and maybe catch a few waterfalls.

Some of us will stay overnight in Robbinsville and run the Hwy 28 “Moonshiner” and/or a waterfalls route Sunday before heading back home.

Hope you can make it. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to mention the Pigeon Forge Rod Run is that week as well if you're looking for something else to do. Cruising traffic gets crazy and impassable in the evenings but the streets are lined with various hot rods and cars. Might be something to do if you're passing through that way Friday or Saturday on your way to the dragon.

www . rodrun-pigeonforge . com

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Due to the effects of a very inconsiderate hurricane, we'll postpone the annual ride until Saturday, September 29th.

Hope you all stay safe, and I'll still hope to see many of you then.

Attachments

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
You should also check out the Devil's Triangle north of Pigeon Forge, twice as long as the Dragon, just as twisty (maybe even more so, with a few 180 degree cutbacks), and NO traffic and no police. Awesome ride. Hint: drive it counter-clockwise.

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Due to the effects of a very inconsiderate hurricane, we'll postpone the annual ride until Saturday, September 29th.

Hope you all stay safe, and I'll still hope to see many of you then.
I'll be out of town that weekend too.:frown2:

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
My daughter and I drove up to Fontana dam on Saturday to see them spilling water. The spill, more like a dribble for them, wasn’t too impressive but the road was nearly abandoned...we didn’t see a single vehicle going out way in the run back north!

Having said that, the weather to the east was terrible and it rained here in Sunday so canceling the event was obviously the right call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should also check out the Devil's Triangle north of Pigeon Forge, twice as long as the Dragon, just as twisty (maybe even more so, with a few 180 degree cutbacks), and NO traffic and no police. Awesome ride. Hint: drive it counter-clockwise.
I'd definitely like to run that again sometime.

Maybe next year we should consider formally breaking the annual run into a 2 (or more) day event... so far we've stuck to the Dragon and Skyway each year just because it's a good timeline for those heading back home eastward Saturday after the day's ride. I could see another group run Sunday on the Triangle being a good addition.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My daughter and I drove up to Fontana dam on Saturday to see them spilling water. The spill, more like a dribble for them, wasn’t too impressive but the road was nearly abandoned...we didn’t see a single vehicle going out way in the run back north!

Having said that, the weather to the east was terrible and it rained here in Sunday so canceling the event was obviously the right call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great shots. I'm dying to get up there sometime when they're releasing the spillway to see that in person.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts