Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new OEM 2018 coyote intake manifold arrived at my door today. It seems to be the new hot intake on the market. It has long runners like my 13 intake, but they are larger in diameter. No doubt, Ford has spent countless hours fine tuning the intake and it clearly paid off. I have seen several tests where it beats the boss intake and comes close to matching the cobra jet. But unlike the boss and cobra jet, it doesn't give up torque below 5500 rpm like those short runner intakes do. Truly, the best of both worlds.
I started the swap, but may not finish up until I take the car out of service for the winter. Just depends on how smoothly the work goes, as I still have several events to attend this year.
The intake was shipped in the flimsy ford box, and by some miracle, wasn't broken when I pulled it out. First thing I did was remove the IMRC actuators and fabricate a link to hold them open. Alternatively, several manufacturers can sell you something for $60+.
The rest of the install looks straight forward. There are a few vacuum ports to plug. The throttle body and intake ports are all suppose to match up nicely. Similar to what others found, the mount for the throttle body is angled more upward and sticks out about an inch further than my 13 intake, so the hardest part may be tweaking my CAI to fit.
I'll post some updates along the way, but everything seems very straight forward.

Attachments

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
492 Posts
Hello Brian,

Here are is a recent comparison of all commonly available intakes for the Coyote engine done by Justin Starkey of VMP Performace, a well respected and known Ford tuner/builder. Looks like the 2018 Intake scored high marks.

Saul

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2018 intake is on. I finished it up late last night, so no initial start or drive impressions yet. A dyno tune is arranged for thur next week. I have thus far been driving on the stock control pack calibration.
As for the install, it was mostly straight forward. There is a clearance issue at a bolt for the thermostat housing. I just ground down the manifold in that location.
My CAI piping connected up reasonably well with just some minor tweaks. I think the 2018 intake cover is a hideous monstrosity, so I spent some time trying to figure out if I can make the 11-14 cover work. I cut the mounting bracket for the IRCM actuators off the 2018 intake and ground it smooth. The mounting tabs for the 11-14 cover don't quite line up with the same locations of the 18, but I think with some standoffs, I can make it work. The last picture shows the 11-14 cover laying loose on the 2018 intake.
I'll be very curious to get it back to the 1/4 mile after these changes. I'd love to sneak a high 10s pass in.

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first start with the new manifold was easy. I could tell the computer had to make some adjustment, I assume because of the reconfigured CAI piping messing with the MAF readings, but it learned quickly and settled to a nice idle. Driving around normally, it feels like nothing changed at all.
I can't tell if there is any change in the mid range. It squirmed more than usual in the mid range, but the weather is cooler which makes better power and the tires are cooler for less grip.
There is certainly a new sense of urgency in the upper RPM range. The stock 7200 rpm rev limit comes up far to quickly and leaves you wishing for more. The tune will fix that problem. I'll post dyno results when they are available.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just finished the final touches on the 2018 intake manifold install. I made custom stand offs to mount the gen 1 engine cover on 2018 intake. I also had to grind off and smooth the mount for the ircm parts. Just my opinion, but the gen 1 cover looks much better than the gen 3 monstrosity.

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is tuned and happy now. It made 452 hp at 7,100 and 393 ft*lbs at 4,900 rpm. This far exceeded my expectation. What amazes me is how broad the torque band is. Peak torque occurs 2,200 rpm before peak horsepower. One pull I requested to start at 2,000 rpm, it was still making 320 ft*lbs, or more than 80% of peak down there.

Here's a quick youtube video of the pull: https://youtu.be/RTkj3Rtutps

The tuner said since the car is so light, he could really get aggressive with the timing. He ended up at 29* and didn't see any knock. He tried a run with even more timing. It still didn't knock, but didn't make any more power, so he pulled it back out.

He said the engine was moving 54 lbs/min of air. Safe to say it is making at least 500hp at the crank. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
That's awesome. Cool how Ford keeps squeezing more out of this engine.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Great numbers, thanks for paving the road for the rest of us! The CMCV parts have been a pain while trying to fit the 2nd Gen Coyote to my 1970 Mustang restomod. We have the large parts removed and cut out a relief in the firewall. Once we get the engine in and level, we can determine if the CMCV parts will fit. I imagine adapting the 2018 manifold to my engine would be a similar exercise as yours and would allow me to delete the CMCV part and just lock the intake runners. The upgrade is certainly a consideration for the future. I have been wondering how I would be able to install the engine with the CMCV in place. Just dawned on me that I can remove the intake during installation and then install it as a unit once the engine is in the car. Sorry, got off track here.

Good job, sounds like your car is going to be a real screamer.

Alan

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No doubt the cobra jet manifold takes the honor for top end power, but I feel like the 18 is a nice compromise for mid range punch and cost. I can't wait to read the results of your testing! I always trust your testing to be fair and consistent which can't always be said of those looking to sell parts and services.
Ford Performance gave me a 2018 engine for engine dyno testing and I tested all the Ford Performance manifolds...The 2018 manifold is hard to beat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am curious to know what modifications were done to the engine aside from the intake or is this a Boss engine? I saw that you had the early GT manifold on it so I wouldn't expect it to be but those just seem like amazing numbers for a first gen coyote with nothing but a newer manifold and tune.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am curious to know what modifications were done to the engine aside from the intake or is this a Boss engine? I saw that you had the early GT manifold on it so I wouldn't expect it to be but those just seem like amazing numbers for a first gen coyote with nothing but a newer manifold and tune.
Agreed, the numbers are higher than I was expecting. The dyno was performed on an inertia dyno (dynomite) instead of a load bearing dyno which would typically read lower by nature.

I am, running the double merge headers from stainless headers and a much larger air filter than factory five specs. The air filter is also located in the fender so it gets cool air instead of hot engine bay air per the FFR setup. Nothing else was touched internally, but like you said a 2018 intake manifold.

Keep in mind the engine breathes easier in a cobra than a stock mustang. The mustang has restrictions like a stock airbox, paper filter, shorty exh manifolds, cats and a full length exhaust system that is 50 state legal on sound. In that respect, compare the power numbers to a mustang with long tube headers, full exhaust, CAI, intake manifold and a tune and my numbers are certainly in the ball park.

Having done a couple of track events, it definitely runs hard. Not many cars can keep pace on the straights.

·
Registered
507 Posts
He said the engine was moving 54 lbs/min of air. Safe to say it is making at least 500hp at the crank. :D

More like 532hp if you figure a 15% loss to the wheels.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Agreed, the numbers are higher than I was expecting. The dyno was performed on an inertia dyno (dynomite) instead of a load bearing dyno which would typically read lower by nature.

I am, running the double merge headers from stainless headers and a much larger air filter than factory five specs. The air filter is also located in the fender so it gets cool air instead of hot engine bay air per the FFR setup. Nothing else was touched internally, but like you said a 2018 intake manifold.

Keep in mind the engine breathes easier in a cobra than a stock mustang. The mustang has restrictions like a stock airbox, paper filter, shorty exh manifolds, cats and a full length exhaust system that is 50 state legal on sound. In that respect, compare the power numbers to a mustang with long tube headers, full exhaust, CAI, intake manifold and a tune and my numbers are certainly in the ball park.

Having done a couple of track events, it definitely runs hard. Not many cars can keep pace on the straights.
Curious, do you have before the mod numbers? Seeing the differential would help justify that the difference was due to the 2018 intake. I watch this thread with interest as I have a 2017 2nd Gen Coyote going into my 1970 Mustang restomod. Performance mods are not on the list as yet, but give it a few years and once the budget recovers a bit, who knows.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, no before dyno numbers.
I've seen a 20-30hp gain thrown around as typical for an 11-17 on the forums and groups. Forum member Mark Gearhart did a dyno test on a gen 3 comparing the boss, GT350, gen 3 and CJ manifolds: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-every-ford-coyote-intake-manifold-on-gen-3-crate/
The gen 3 manifold beat the boss and GT350 manifolds, so it clearly works. $/hp, hard to beat a gen 3 manifold and a tune. I'd like to take the car back to the 1/4 mile this spring to see how much difference these two changes made.

Curious, do you have before the mod numbers? Seeing the differential would help justify that the difference was due to the 2018 intake. I watch this thread with interest as I have a 2017 2nd Gen Coyote going into my 1970 Mustang restomod. Performance mods are not on the list as yet, but give it a few years and once the budget recovers a bit, who knows.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, the Gen 3 Coyote manifold outperforms all previous manifolds. By the way I have a brand new 2018 Coyote factory intake manifold and throttle body. I pulled it off my new crate engine. No fuel has been run through it. I unbolted it and sat it on the shelf. If anybody is interested let me know with a reasonable offer. (I don’t check the forums daily.). PM me

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes, the Gen 3 Coyote manifold outperforms all previous manifolds. By the way I have a brand new 2018 Coyote factory intake manifold and throttle body. I pulled it off my new crate engine. No fuel has been run through it. I unbolted it and sat it on the shelf. If anybody is interested let me know with a reasonable offer. (I don’t check the forums daily.). PM me
PM sent.

Thanks, Alan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts