Factory Five Racing Forum banner

321 - 323 of 323 Posts

·
First Time Builder
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #321 (Edited)
Finishing up the wiring routing for the fuel pressure sender. The three-conductor cable is about 6 feet long. Too long for the distance travelled to the dash, but for now I’m just getting it out of the engine compartment.

Simple wrap in convolute and tape, and pop through the firewall, and it’s cleaned up. The engine cover will hide most of it anyway.

The rest I’ll take care of with other work behind the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Melbourne has changed so much in the last 10 years. Little old Adelaide, where I live, not so much. It is definitely worth the trip. Of course if you're going to Melbourne, you might as well slide on over to Adelaide and I can take you for a tour in one of the few FFRs in South Australia.

Cheers Nigel

·
First Time Builder
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #323 (Edited)
I’ve skipped over Power Steering in order to address it all at once. And when it comes to my power steering system design, my tendency to innovate has again bowed to convention.
I planned to implement a design where I would use the third reservoir on my Triple CNC Reservoir to feed to a Tee near the pump inlet which would then continue on to the Inlet of the Pump. The output from the pump would connect to the rack as typical, then return through a 10” cooler and finally connect to the Tee to form a hydraulic loop. This would allow the fluid tank to act as a reservoir to compensate for any draw or pressure from the loop.
I realized the big issue with this design was going to be air. This design would create an elevated part of the system at the pump and this would result in the pump either airlocked or subject to air collection (formation of an air pocket) during operation. Big flaw in my brilliant plans. That’s the issue with ‘Bright Idea Brain’, often ideas have flaws.
Back to the drawing board. So I already have the KRC Coyote Power Steering kit, I just have to figure out what to do in the Reservoir department. Parts that I already have; KRC Coyote Bracket, Elite Series pump with pulley, Replacement Water Pump Pulley, belt, Fluid Cooler, and Power Steering fitting group from Breeze with Black Stainless tube substituted for the Silver.

I don’t like the idea of adding a reservoir when I already have one I’m not using. I also know the fewer fittings, the better, at least when it comes to leaks. This points me toward a Tank-mounted reservoir. KRC’s website is great for displaying the plethora of products they offer for the different engines, etc, but matching their own parts to each other is a little challenging, at least for me. I decided to order the KRC 9145000 bolt-on tank and go with a standard design for the piping; pump to rack, rack to cooler, cooler to tank. I like the bolt-on tank for its keep-it simple design, small footprint and elimination of at least 2 fittings. I received the tank in short order, and it’s time to get to work.

First is mounting the bracket for the pump. The assembly instructions from KRC are well documented and easy to understand and the process goes fairly quickly. Three bolts through three pins in 3 bolt holes. I did run into an issue with the bolt closest to the intake bottoming out against the block. Possible solutions would be a shorter bolt or somehow spacing the bolt out slightly. I opt to install two leftover small flat washers in between the bracket and the bolt head. Blue loctite on these bolts and the bracket is in place.

Before bracket.

After bracket.

Now to temp-mount the pump. Two bolts and the pump sits in place.

With the components in place, I’ll temp the fittings in and then cut and install the tubing.

First, the fittings on the PS rack. Fit is tight, and routing seems like it can only happen one way.

Thinking about the hose routing and wanting to avoid the hoses contacting the metal parts around them. I route them with the gentlest bends and try to keep the hoses in tension with each other as they run by each other.

The hoses will eventually form a T-shape as they run through the frame members and connect the components.

The in-line cooler under the radiator will send the fluid back to the reservoir.

I’m not going to finalize the lines and fittings until I get the reservoir.

We go ahead and install the water pump replacement pulley. It goes right in and the belt installs back in the same way the old one did.

Checking to see if the coolant hoses will interfere with the pulleys, I slide the belt on and temporarily tighten the PS pump into place. Clicking the upper coolant hose into place I see there is less than a 1/4” clearance where the hose crosses in front of the PS Pump Pulley and where the fitting crosses in from of the Water Pump pulley.

Too tight for my liking.

I do remember from replacing the Thermostat housing bolts that where the Thermostat housing attaches to the engine there is some flexibility to that mount. (The radiator hose connects to that housing. You can see the thermostat housing in the earlier picture of the front of the engine.) I loosen the thermostat mounting bolt slightly and shift the thermostat housing toward the driver side of the vehicle and tighten the bolts back up. This looks better for clearance.

Note that I made this adjustment BEFORE I filled the system with coolant.

To Be continued.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

321 - 323 of 323 Posts