Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the differential out of a 2015-2019 IRS Mustang will fit in an earlier aluminum Lincoln IRS housing? Both are 8.8 just a matter of being the same width I guess. I dont think Ford would change that but you never know. Your thoughts?

Mike

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Does anyone know if the differential out of a 2015-2019 IRS Mustang will fit in an earlier aluminum Lincoln IRS housing? Both are 8.8 just a matter of being the same width I guess. I dont think Ford would change that but you never know. Your thoughts?

Mike
Nope. Completely different units. The 2015+ IRS pumpkin is indeed an 8.8. But Ford calls it their "Super 8.8." The internals are apparently larger, heavier duty, etc.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am actually using this in my 89 Mustang which has been IRS swapped. I have a 28 spline unit right now but just purchased some 2003 Cobra axles which are 31 spline. Just need the carrier for 31 spline axles and I saw these ones on e-bay that are IRS ready for pretty cheap. My other option is an Explorer rear from the boneyard for a few more bux but I can get one with 3.73s which is what I want to run. I may need to change out the side gears so that they have the groove for the circlips. Thanks for the replies, waiting on confirmation back from the seller on dimensions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts