Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a choice, which would you buy and why? I know many of you are Ford guys, but I figured I would ask anyway.

Here's my thoughts:

STYLING
I give the edge to the Camaro SS. It looks mean, just sitting in the parking lot. The Mustang GT looks good, but it's not as nice as the Camaro. However, I do LOVE the GT500 front end and if that car didn't say Shelby on the back, we wouldn't be having this discussion because that's the one I'd buy. Too bad Ford has to be in bed with such a litigious man.

PERFORMANCE
The new 5.0 Mustang GT is faster than the Camaro SS in a straight line. But the Camaro handles better because of the independent rear suspension. I'll give the edge to the Mustang GT because you can order the Brembo's.

FEATURES
The Mustang wins.
I love navigation screens and that's not an option on the Camaro.
The Camaro can't be ordered with a passenger side power seat. It sits too low and is hard to get a kid in and out.
Both have Bluetooth.

Logic tells me the Mustang GT is a better car, but I can't get around the styling being kind of tame.

Thoughts?

Bill

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
Tough choice Bill. The Mustang is much more usable in my opinion. Easier to see out of, get in and out of etc... The only thing holding it back is the solid axle. The roads around here are garbage because of the low budget and cold winters. So driving hard around corners can cause surprises. The Camaro has a little more wow factor and IRS. I love the LSx engines but have not driven the new 5.0 to see if it stacks up. The numbers seem to suggest that it does, but I would have to drive them both to give my final answer. (And not just a quick run around the block, I mean really drive them)

·
Super Moderator
29,421 Posts
I vote for the Mustang

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
I'd choose the Camaro myself...

A year ago - We took a brand new 2010 SS-1 and cut it up to build a racecar out of it.. There's no part of that car I have not seen totally stripped..

The performance potential of the Camaro is greater than that of the Mustang on a dollar-for-dollar basis..

You can see a bunch of pictures I published on the blog here;

http://www.CarriageHouseCustoms.com

I have not included the latest pics on the Blog but will post a few here for you.

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Bill,
every magazine shoot out puts the Mustang above the Camaro. Albeit, no by much.
When I read the magazines, I am thinking the Mustang is a better car, which it is.
Then, I see a Camaro on the road...and WOW!!! Forget the magazines...the Camaro hands down!!! And then I see a Mustang, and another and another.....and they all look the same (not to the trained eye) for the past oh..... 5 many years..or so....
Yes the Mustang might have a slight edge in performance, but it is slight and did I mention the Camaro's looks????

·
3,798 Posts
Take a look at the latest Motor Trend, they do a test of the Mustang, Camero and Challenger. Mustang #1 and Camero #3. I really like the 2011 Mustang.
Doug

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
PERFORMANCE
The new 5.0 Mustang GT is faster than the Camaro SS in a straight line. But the Camaro handles better because of the independent rear suspension. I'll give the edge to the Mustang GT because you can order the Brembo's.

Bill
Mustang GT with the track pack will pretty much stomp an SS on the race track.

·
Junior
1,520 Posts
I really would like to have one of each. But, the Mustang hands down. Now between a 2011 Mustang GT and a 1969 RS/SS or Z28 Camaro. Hands down, the classic would win. I know apples and oranges...I'd buy the 2011 Mustang.

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Mustang.

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
2,018 Posts
I know i'm in the minority, but I think they missed the mark with the styling of the Camaro. It looks more like a 2020 Camaro than a 2010. The Chalenger hit it perfect, the Mustang I like and the 2010 restyling helped, but it is a little stagnent after 5 years. As far as performance, does it really matter? With the huge aftermarket following for all three, you can make the car do what ever you want.

·
Charter Member
1,548 Posts
Mustang all day long. Camaro looks like a clown car and is heavy. Do like the motor tho.

stack

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Five point 0!!!

Can't stand the Challenger. Looks like it's AWD or something; the car is so tall, it reminds me of an AMC Eagle .

Greg

·
Charter Member
4,717 Posts
Camaro wins hands down. Looks mean driving down the road and, unless you are a drag racer, the power is sufficient.

Mustang gets the nod for performance, but unless you buy a Shelby KR body kit, they all look alike.

Your choice.

·
NOT a self proclaimed Craftsman
1,189 Posts
Five point 0!!!

Can't stand the Challenger. Looks like it's AWD or something; the car is so tall, it reminds me of an AMC Eagle .

Greg

I'd rather have the Eagle in awd wagon form. Not kidding.

Clarification: Eagle over all of the others. Still not kidding. All the pony car imposters made today do nothing for me for numerous reasons. Hands down awd Eagle wagon with a middle of the road built SBC, modern auto box, 4 wheel disc brakes. Could probably have two for the cost of one of the others.

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
5 OH! I think it looks much better and Ford didn't take any of my money without my authorization.........

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
Camaro.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think the Camaro looked great in Transformers...but in the real world, The Mustang does it for me. The compromised sightlines of the Camaro would also make me nervous up in the hills around San Diego if I was driving "sportingly".

A 1993 5.0 was the first car I ever seriously broke the speed limit in. It was just begging to be thrashed. I've always said I'd buy one if they: 1. put a decent interior in it and: 2. brought back a V-8 that made it a legitimate contender. Done and Done. The order goes in next week at my Overseas New Car Sales office.

·
Jack of all trades
1,230 Posts
Bill,
every magazine shoot out puts the Mustang above the Camaro. Albeit, no by much.
Boy, I must be reading all the wrong mags, cuz I haven't seen one that puts the Mustang ahead of the Camaro. I have a Camaro, and my step-son has a GT350 Mustang. Visibility is the same out of both in my opinion. More power in the Camaro. Mustang sounds meaner (Camaro is muffled way too quiet) Mustang feels a little nimbler, cuz it is lighter. You can find all sorts of aftermarket products to increase power and pimp them both up any way you like.

At the end of the day, it is a personal choice as to which one turns you on more when you drive down the road. :yes:

·
Charter Member
1,548 Posts
Boy, I must be reading all the wrong mags, cuz I haven't seen one that puts the Mustang ahead of the Camaro. I have a Camaro, and my step-son has a GT350 Mustang. Visibility is the same out of both in my opinion. More power in the Camaro. Mustang sounds meaner (Camaro is muffled way too quiet) Mustang feels a little nimbler, cuz it is lighter. You can find all sorts of aftermarket products to increase power and pimp them both up any way you like.

At the end of the day, it is a personal choice as to which one turns you on more when you drive down the road. :yes:
Go read the latest motor trend, car and driver both say the 2011 mustang is better. Much better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts