Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay... today was a big day for me. I finished stripping my donor down, brought the block and crank to the machine shop, and also had the driveshaft cut down
. Now I am ready to go through the tranny.
Does anyone know of a place where I can get an overhaul kit for the T5 other then from Ford and maybe a little less expensive???
Also, the machine shop said the drive shaft looked like one from a 4 cyl
. Is there a difference between the 5.0 and 4 cyl :confused: . drive shaft? Also, should the shaft be balanaced after it is cut down???

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Jonh,
If I remember correctly the 4 cyl drive shaft has a vibration dampener on the trans yoke (a round thing about 6" in diameter). If your's has this you might want to do some checking of other parts (trans, rearend, vin number) to make sure you didn't get a 4 cyl car converted to a 5.0. It is possible that the original driveshaft got damaged and had been switched.

Greg

·
Registered
95 Posts
When you buy a new set of tires you know that they need to be balanced and the concequences of not doing so means a shorter life for the tires and maby the suspension. The concequences are the same regarding the driveshaft, transmission, uv joint, and maby the rearend.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Originally posted by GregR:
Jonh,
If I remember correctly the 4 cyl drive shaft has a vibration dampener on the trans yoke (a round thing about 6" in diameter). If your's has this you might want to do some checking of other parts (trans, rearend, vin number) to make sure you didn't get a 4 cyl car converted to a 5.0. It is possible that the original driveshaft got damaged and had been switched.

Greg
Hey Greg - I don't know about the 4-cyl shaft, but the vibration dampener was found on V8 cars w/ an automatic trans too.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
The guy who is doing my driveshaft says the only difference is the vibration dampner. He says he knocks them off with a big hammer cause they mess up balancing and we dont need them.

·
Charter Member
534 Posts
If your donor was a V-8 conversion (I came across several of them while searching for a donor)you'll have LOTS of parts issues. The 4 cyl and the V-8 are almost totally different cars. Check the pilot bearing diameter on your trans input shaft for instance; 4 cyl is .59", V-8 is .69". (There is a special pilot bearing available to install a 4 cyl trans on a V-8, that's how a V-8 conversion is done.) But it's not just the pilot diameter, the 4 cyl trans has different gear ratios and a lower torque rating.

Totally different car.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts