Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure the topic of lifts has been asked many times before, but I haven't seen anything withthe answer to my question so...I have finally finished my garage and am planning on buying a 2 post lift. My big question is about symmetrical vs. asymmetrical. I can't seem to find too much on the subject anywhere. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one? Also anyone that has a lift, what brand did you choose and why.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,040 Posts
I have asymmetrical 2 post this allows you to open the door when the car is on the lift. The ad for my lift has a full size car all the way up without the lift bolted to the floor. I have a Forward name brand and it looks like several others out there with different names on them.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I have a 10,000 lb Asymmetrical 2 post. Have had it for 8 years. Works great (Bend Pak)

Make sure you get one where the floor is clear(no cross plate.) Cross plated gets in the way of rolling transmission jacks etc.

I spent about $1800 8 years ago. Slips under the Slobra 3.5" front 4.0 inch rear. I also can easily pick up my 2500 HD Silverado with long bed and extend cab. (6000 lbs)

I'm sure "Epicenter's site has the perfect one for you! Good Luck! NO MORE CRAWLING UNDER THE CAR
Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello Wesley,

The asymmetric design lifts the vehicle up and way from between the two columns, thus allowing the vehicle doors to open more freely; whereas, the symmetric design lifts the vehicle up in the middle between the two columns. Generally the symmetric design will provide more drive-thru clearance between the columns, but not always. This all depends on the manufacturer. Some offer more clearance, and some don’t.

If you’d like, I can provide you with detailed specifications regarding the wide variety of two post automotive lifts that we offer. I would also be interested in learning more about your specific needs.

I can be reached any time using our toll free number 888.711.5438.

Best regards,

Brad Davies
American Custom Lifts
www.aclifts.com

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a Bend-Pak MX-10ACX. It is the wide version and is Asymmetric. I purchased it online and was very happy with the price and service. I have a friend that runs a transmission shop and he has Bend-Pak lifts at his shop. He hasn't had any problems with them and I figured they would work well for me too. Purchase price was one of the reasons I got the Bend-Pak.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,732 Posts
What I work w/ every day are asymetric lifts.There is no other way if you want to open the doors on normal cars.If you have the room a wide version would help the door opening issue. Just be sure the arms will come close enough together to get to the frame rails on the cobra.Probably the best deals are goin to be on the standard width asymetricals cause they are the most common ones.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
I just bought a new asymetrical lift for my shop. My other twin post( symmetrical) is 20 years old and a real pain in the neck if you are working in the door areas. The good thing is with the new lift,you can center the car on the lift if needed. Best of both worlds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts