Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On road for less than a week and have a couple of minor problems. 1.Drive train doesn’t like 3rd or 4th gear under 2000 RPM (bucking). 2.Same problem many others have, stalling at stop signs.

This is my combination
T-5 with 3.55 rear end
GT-40 upper and lower
65 mm throttle body
70 mm mass air
24 lb. Injectors
X3Z computer
Comp cam 35-308-8
1.60 roller rockers
Stock heads ground to GT-40 specs
Compression 9.5:1

What RPM range should I cruise in?
Do I need VSS that I removed?
Thanks Jim

·
5,559 Posts
Hey Jim,

I can't help you with the efi issue... but, where's the pictures? I took about the same amount of time to finish our car! Hope to see you around this summer, we're in Feeding Hills.

Brian

·
Charter Member
1,558 Posts
I do believe you should have the VSS hooked up. I can't say for sure it will fix the problem but it does keep the RPMS up a bit while slowing to a stop.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Do I need VSS that I removed?
I've heard some say no...you dont need it. I had a problem with stalling on decel. I tryed anything I could think to fix it with no success. Finally I put the VSS back in and no more problems with stalling on decel. Based on that I'll say yes you need it.

·
Orbiting FFCobra.com
778 Posts
VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor.

We had the VSS go out on our Dodge Durango, and it ran horribly until we got it replaced. No power at all because it couldn't tell the tranny what gear to be in, so it always stayed in overdrive I'm assuming.

I've got it hooked up on my 302, I can tell you that.

Mark

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor

A carb will fix your surging problem, but you probably don't want to do that at this point.

Yes...hook up the VSS from the side of the trans to the proper input line on the X3Z EEC.

The surging problem could be all sorts of things.
Short of practicing voodoo on the car, try the following.

Adjust your TPS voltage to .990v with the key on and the engine off.

Try lowering your fuel pressure a bit. The 24lb units are a bit much for that combo and you might pickup some power and possibly resolve the surge. If you don't have an adjustable regulator or gauge, skip this step.

Check your base timing and set it to around 14 degrees. Adjust it back a few degrees at a time and see if the bucking goes away. Stock is around 10 to 12 degrees base.

Your cam is the Comp 266HR Magnum series. It's fairly mild, but should work quite well with your setup. It has 114 degrees lobe seperation and should idle and cruise like butter.

Re-torque all your intake manifold bolts.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
3850 has the X3Z computer
1995 Cobra cam, lifters, 24 lb injectors, etc.
No VSS
No EGR
No Idle Air Control (unplugged)
89-93 MAF Sensor (58 mm?)
Initial advance 10-12 as Wurf suggested
Idles at 650 rpm
pulls the car at 1000-2000 rpm
No Surging
No Bucking
No problems

Not saying this will solve your issues, but if you did a test, a stock 89-93 MAF sensor might surprise you on driveability.

For reference tech data, read: Induction Blues

Hope you get it sorted out, fun cars when they run right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will re-torque intake this weekend, set TPS voltage, check timing and vacuum test with carb cleaner. Engine seems to be running rich, eyes burning in garage and carbon forming inside exhaust pipes. Had a problem with fuel pressure regulator, can’t drop pressure below 41-42 PSI I e-mailed BBK and they said this was OK, but when I shut off engine fuel pressure drops to 0 (stuck injector?). If I go back to VSS will I need a new Speedo cable (purchased non- cruise control cable from Ford)? Don’t get me wrong engine runs strong, just some minor quirks I would like to solve. Thanks for the advice. Jim

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I'll PM you about the Fuel Regulator. Dont rely on the pipes...chech the plugs for color. You may have a lean condition. A lean condition produces High HC's. The symtoms are burning eyes. Yes you will need a new Speedo cable to reconnect the VSS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.