Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning out the garage / basement trying to ready for a build and want to sell a bunch of the stuff on eBay - any hints for a first time seller? Basically worried about being safe and not getting ripped off.

I also want to generate positive feedback for when I go to purchase items in the future... so being 100% honest, insuring quick responses, being courteous, etc. is a must... anything else?

Use PayPal or not?
Set up for Credit Card payments or not?
(Do I need?) Should I get a separate bank / checking account?
Separate email account?
Use separate eBay alias?
What seller's options are best?

Probably not going to use a BuyItNow option... will most likely set a reserve and let them go for 7-10 days? Is there a better way?

What about picture hosting / options?

·
Premium Member
11,514 Posts
1. Accept Paypal transactions or you'll limit buyers
2. Accept payments from cashiers checks if Paypal is not an option.
3. NEVER accept personal checks
4. Only ship after you have the CASH in hand or in the bank

There is no need to worry about credit card payments if they use Paypal for the transaction.

Advice on purchasing:
Always pay with a major credit card like Visa/MC. Paypal and EBay have some safeguards in place if you don't get the merchandise or it is not what the seller said it was but they are fairly flimsy. Your credit card company has your best interest (read: their money) at heart. You also have an established relationship with your credit card company so they will work to help you. They will take all the appropriate actions to get your money refunded.

My Visa saved me $350 when the seller never sent the item and this was 6 months after the fact. I'm very happy I used them. They credited my account and charged back the seller. I was duped but my visa had my back

[ August 09, 2004, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Dagster ]

·
18,090 Posts
What Dagster said - Plus;

Pay the additional $2 and make your auctions Private. That way you won't have someone scoping out your bidders and emailing them on the side - "Psst - hey buddy, I got a widget just like the one you just bid on and I'll letcha have it for $5 less!"

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Like Dasgster said: '4. Only ship after you have the CASH in hand or in the bank' and just be careful of eBay sellers/buyers that are trying to sell/buy more expensive items and do not have a very extensive selling/buying history. Just my $0.02.

Allan

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,274 Posts
Watch out for the options that eBay offers like Bold print, backgrounds, etc. They can nickle and dime you to death. Keep your item descriptions simple but thorough. Be very explicit when it comes to forms of payment accepted, payment deadlines (if any) and shipping methods and charges.

You may not be allowed to add a BIN option. I think you need to have X amount of positive feedbacks before they let you add BIN. There's also a fee for that.

Instead of using eBay's forms for making the auction, try downloading their TurboLister software. It's free and allows you to develop your auction description at your own pace. I used it recently on some golf ticket auctions. Being able to write the stuff at home let's you rewrite and revise before uploading to eBay for listing. I recommend using it.

TurboLister also allows you to link to pictures that you are hosting elsewhere. You can insert links to your other web page or just insert the pictures. You're not limited to eBay's picture hosting.

Here's some examples of my most recent auctions...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2259107633
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2255103940

Ya, Ya, I know. I said keep them simple. So I went a little overboard. At least they were thorough.

I would set up a separate email address. It lets you keep stuff separate. Set up a separate bank account and link that to your PayPal account.

I would recommend setting a starting price instead of a reserve amount. I find it more open and fair. I hate bidding only to see that I haven't met the reserve. In some cases popular items should be allowed to run their course from a low starting bid. You'll be more successful.

Before listing, search for similar auctions. Add then to your "My Ebay" watch list. Be patient and watch how other auctions transpire. It'll give you a sense of what prices the market will bear. You may also see how high starting prices get no bids, but others shoot past those simply because the starting price was low enough to get bidders involved. My Ryder Cup ticket pairs started at $1 with no reserve and finally sold for $300+. I watched many other auctions with starting bids around $2-$300 go without bids.

Time your auctions to end late Sunday evening. Give bidders the weekend to watch. That's another benefit of TurboLister. It lets you develop the description at your leisure then upload to eBay when you want them to start. You can upload multiple auctions and also set them to end at different times (fee for that). You can also upload them but delay their start times (fee for that)

Use Ebays tutorials. They provide a lot of info. Also make sure you know the fees.

[ August 09, 2004, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: wildswing ]

·
Registered
428 Posts
When taking a Certified Check if you have ANY doubts call the bank that issued the check to verify it is legit. Your bank will give you the cash instantly but if the check turns out to be bogus you will be in deep do do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts