Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, been a long time coming. I got the car out of the garage on all wheels, the idle fixed, fuel pressure set etc.
Well on the way to a good tune, i'm good at tuning, apparently i'm not good w installing or adjusting the trans though.
1st Start
It will only go into 3rd gear and grinds reverse. What's the proper way to set the clutch cable? I don't know if its riding the bearing or not tight enough?I have a triple adjustable clutch quadrant, and threaded adjustable cable, and adjustable FW fitting as well.

TKO600 modded by MMR to 900hp specs, mid shift kit, spec stage 2+ clutch, new flywheel, TO bearing etc (all parts new).
Any advice welcome.
Guess i lost my sig w the new forum change, here's the rest of the info.
2003 stock Terminator supercharged mustang motor (4.6 mod), 3.55 FFR rear kit, 3 link, MS3X ECU

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The clutch cable should have no slack, just enough to keep it tight. Does your shifter have adjustable limit screws? sounds like the shifter is not moving enough.
David W

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tightened it up some and used the FW adjuster too. I think im just not used to the spec stage2+ heavy clutch, and terrible shifting TKO600. I have to put it into whatever gear it happens to want to go in then try the gear I want sometimes several times before it works. If anyone has any advice on this let me know, meanwhile i have a new long list of thing to do including getting the engine running right on the new ecu to worry about as well. Once the engine runs better ill drive it and have a better feel for what the trans is doing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mike,

99% chance that your clutch is not releasing from the flywheel. That is usually an adjustment issue, but far from always. TKO600s don't shift that bad unless it was messed up when modded. Mine isn't always happy to go into reverse.

Glen

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update, I found that the clutch fork wasn't "seated" all the way in and probably not pivoting on the ball. The spring retainers were a little weak and i push in towards the trans and it click in about another 1/2"-3/4". Shifts like it should now at least in the driveway and in gear 3mph in/out of the garage. Like mentioned, need to go into 1st gear then reverse (non synched reverse)
Thanks guys I was already assuming the worst and mentally preparing for that. I didn't assemble it by checking runout and ordering .00003 offset dowels or anything so.....

·
Senior Charter Member
815 Posts
Yes, Clutch The fork not being properly in place can mess up the release of the clutch and then all shifting goes wonky, as well as the cable not being just right. (don't ask me how i know)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx Karl,
One thing I (re) learned is to look at all the small things first and not to jump to any conclusions or assume the worst :)
Also I have been working on the tune and driving around my neighborhood quite a bit and have dialed in the clutch, the trans shifts good etc.
Need to fast track the body work now. Looking for a good fiberglass body shop in S Fla, maybe a corvette or SCCA or someone used to working on fiberglass bodies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts