Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a busy 48 hours.

With permission from the wife, I decided another trip in the newly registered coupe was in order.
You may remember reading about my first "trip" over labor day with about 100 miles on the clock resulting in running out of gas twice in a span of less than 20 minutes. That was my 550 mile shake down, so I won't let that happen again.

This time a 1400 mile trip was in order and needed to be done in 48 hours. ( I sensed a little something from the wife that it wouldn't be a good idea to be gone for 4 days, my initial plan, so instead of canceling I just shortened the trip) Now some would have just called it off but I was on a mission. You see, I have been building (along with Mark Doughtery) my coupe since '09 and in 3 short weeks it goes for paint. After its painted I refuse to work on it at all. I'm considering it done and plan on driving it after that. No work and all play.

So off I went this time with 766 miles on the odometer, and a few miles later.

It was a pleasant ride. Temp in the 60's, no rain. No troubles. 18 mpg, 14 when I had some fun in the hills, and no unscheduled stops along the side of the road.

Got to my destination and low and behold look who I found. Some sort of contortionist, Wayne Presley at VCP.

He fixed my mistakes. Carb tuning 101 was too advanced for me and he got her running strong.

With my carb tuned off I went back home 700 miles away. This sounded way easier when I explained, rather justified, this trip to my wife. The first 700 miles took a toll on my body. But none the less, I had to hit the road. This time the car ran even stronger. no complaints, and improved mileage. I now have a green car, 21 mpg. Wayne said "as green as a Jetta".

Plugging away, This happened,

Hit my 2k mark in less than 5 weeks after being legal. Making up for some lost time and having some fun.

Get out and drive. Enjoy these machines.
Call Mark D, The Traveling Builder, and Wayne P. at VCP, to help you along. They will get you on the road.

Mike M.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mike,

That's awesome!

Now you're ready for the drive home from California.

Did you soundproof that beast?

Bob

·
Charter Member
2,564 Posts
Very cool, Mike. Glad the car is running well!

Garry

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
When's it going to paint?
You know the Gateway Cobra Club is going to be in your backyard in less than 3 weeks. Oct 22 - 26 we're staying in Harrison, Ark and cruising the Ozarks down that way. Even if the car is at the painters, stop by one evening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts