Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1994 mustang GT 5.0 swapped into a 66’ F100. I plumbed an Aeromotive fuel system on it with new Aeromotive fuel rails. I bought an accel dual sync distributor from a friend who ran this same engine set up except he ran stock mustang fuel rails. Little did i know, this doesn’t jive.. the fuel rails hit the distributor on the driver side even with the spacer that the fuel rails came with.

I’ve heard of people grinding away the distributor for the rails to clear, but I think I’d need to grind so much material that it would cut into the inside of the distributor and jump an arc… I do not want to buy/do anything to my fuel system due to the time/money spent running it.

I bought this distributor with other ignition parts so I’m not sure what other compatible distributors would work with these. Any thoughts?
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Hood Blue Motor vehicle Automotive design Gadget

Photograph Circuit component Red Electronic instrument Electronic engineering

Motor vehicle Blue Automotive tire Electrical wiring Font

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Gas

Font Audio equipment Gas Computer hardware Electronic device

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fluid Tin Gas

Gas Cylinder Engineering Auto part Machine

Gesture Finger Thumb Nail Gas

·
Registered
136 Posts
I feel your pain! I just went Holley EFI (from A9L+tweecer) with a dual sync distributor and it hits the stock fuel lines. I have TFS AN-10 fuel lines waiting to go on but I am concerned about fitment like you are showing. Any advice out here??
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Red

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel your pain! I just went Holley EFI (from A9L+tweecer) with a dual sync distributor and it hits the stock fuel lines. I have TFS AN-10 fuel lines waiting to go on but I am concerned about fitment like you are showing. Any advice out here?? View attachment 367863
I went ahead cut into my distributor for with an air saw ever so carefully. There was a lip on the cap that was protecting the terminal on so I had some wiggle room to do so. Good luck!

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Paint

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle brake Helmet

Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Red

·
Registered
68 Posts
Doesn't that run a high risk of sparking? Seems like that would create a new ground inside the cap. Also, how are you going to turn it to adjust the timing?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Can you swap sides, with your fuel rails. One looks shorter on the front.
A second option, might be to cut or shorten the fuel rail. Just figure out a method of capping the end without adding length.
Maybe tap it for pipe plug in the end.
You can still use the cap and base, just seal it up with your favorite epoxy.
good luck,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't that run a high risk of sparking? Seems like that would create a new ground inside the cap. Also, how are you going to turn it to adjust the timing?
One way to find out!

The cap has two lips that cover the terminals and they are still completely covered with the plastic material cap.

As for timing, the guy who i bought all this ignition stuff from said we can time it via a computer when i get it running. Again, one way to find out!

I was under the impression i was going to have to buy a new distributor anyway, so it this fails, and nothing blows up, i'll get a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you swap sides, with your fuel rails. One looks shorter on the front.
A second option, might be to cut or shorten the fuel rail. Just figure out a method of capping the end without adding length.
Maybe tap it for pipe plug in the end.
You can still use the cap and base, just seal it up with your favorite epoxy.
good luck,
The fuel rails are the same size. The passenger side doesn't have cap/opening at the bottom of the fuel rail, so if i was to swap them, i would have to run my return out the front and get more in the way of the distributor. I thought about grinding/cutting back the fuel rail/tapping and putting a new plug in it. still an option im thinking about if this fails.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,144 Posts
If the computer works with it, the original Ford TFI distributors are good options. The aftermarket TFI need the hall sensor and shutter wheel replaced because they’re all crap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the computer works with it, the original Ford TFI distributors are good options. The aftermarket TFI need the hall sensor and shutter wheel replaced because they’re all crap.
This is an Accel dual sync distributor, not stock. I got matching ignition parts (don’t make them anymore/old generation) that allow you to time it with a computer. I got the engine at TDC and mounted it.
Next mountain to climb is getting a wiring harness for it and praying.
Anyone have any recommendations for a wiring harness?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts