Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , have a question that would seem very easy to find out , but nobody is giving me a definite answer and i have also done some major searching on this .

I am buy a 89 mustang 5.0 lx .

I need to know exactly where the enineering numbers are , the casting numbers , the casting date number and partial vin numbers are located .

I have a number on the block by the starter that say 34 , and below it it says E7TE , and below that is two small numbers or letters i cant make out .

I have also found the partial vin number , which is locate at the back of the engine on top , that is KF250039 .

I CAN NOT find the engine block casting number , which should be a row of numbers like E9ZE - 6015 - _ _ . (or something like that )

I CAN NOT find the casing date number which should be a four digit number , like 5D24 (or something like that )

I CAN NOT find the second partial vin number . I was told there are two partial vin numbers on every 302 block . I have found the one on the back top of block . Where is the other one located ?

I really need to know this because the seller is selling this as a match number mustang and i am only going to buy it if the engine numbers match directly to the car .

Please , will someone with experience and with a definite answer please reply and tell me . Or maybe post pictures of exactly where they are on the block . This is very important that i find all these numbers .

Thanks for any help that can that be given to me ,
David T. (P40E) :)

·
HighTech *******
624 Posts
I need to know exactly where the enineering numbers are , the casting numbers , the casting date number and partial vin numbers are located .

You're looking in the right places.​

I have a number on the block by the starter that say 34 , and below it it says E7TE , and below that is two small numbers or letters i cant make out .

The E7TE is part of the engineering number. 1987, though T may be out of a truck or bronco. Z would indicate mustang?​
Ford Part Numbering

I have also found the partial vin number , which is locate at the back of the engine on top , that is KF250039 .

This is correct for an '89 from Dearborn, MI with production number 250039​
Fox Mustang VINs

I CAN NOT find the engine block casting number , which should be a row of numbers like E9ZE - 6015 - _ _ . (or something like that )

It's been a bit since I looked at mine, but I don't think they are a ROW so to speak, but a cluster of numbers near the starter.​

I CAN NOT find the casing date number which should be a four digit number , like 5D24 (or something like that )

Casting date? Should be part of the numbers near the starter.​

I CAN NOT find the second partial vin number . I was told there are two partial vin numbers on every 302 block . I have found the one on the back top of block . Where is the other one located ?

I don't believe there is one.​

HTH, Good Luck!

-Kyle

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
The E7TE block was used in many models - Mustang, Cougar, T-Bird, full size, & trucks - from 87 on, eventually replaced by the F1SE.

And it sounds like you're looking in the right places. Never heard of 2 partial vins on the 5.0, and many don't even have 1. On the #s you can't make out, have you tried a light source at various angles? This helps sometimes.

·
Banned
2,213 Posts
The number is located above the starter. Sometimes they are filed down or removed for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
your vin should be on the drivers side block just below the cyl. head
very hard to see, its all little bitty dots that make up the #'s
it should be in the same place as the 351w
the casting E7 actually could be a 1989 depending on how many blocks were cast those years (casting # located around starter)
the heads are all about the same for many years when it comes to ports and valves
its a 80's block and not too many special things were done those years
there were some bad castings in the mid 80's

if you don't have a title for it you may have issues getting thru inspections in most states. unless you put it in a car that is already
legal. (vin needs to match block on title)
good luck, if my brother would give my book back with all the casting info in it i could help you more

·
HighTech *******
624 Posts
This is the casting info above the starter on my '91 5.0HO. The F1SE is the engineering number. Under the lip you can see the casting date "0J27." Which means that this particular block was cast on October(J) 27(27), 1990(0). which jives with my door sticker with a date of 10/90.

As for the "tiny dot" partial VIN numbers, from pictures I've seen, the Dearborn blocks were hand stamped with a typeset block of some sort and are often incomplete. Some other blocks from the 80s and 90s are the tiny dots. (A "Y" code ?Wixom? from 91 is one I have seen, but that wasn't a Fox Mustang block.) Can anyone help confirm my suspicion that all Dearborn blocks were hand stamped at least up to 91?

I've also heard this "under the driver side head" location several times, but I have yet to see a picture of one in this location. All pictures I've seen of Fox Mustang block partial VINs have been on top, behind the intake.

-Kyle

·
HighTech *******
624 Posts
Here's my "quality" Dearborn stamping job. It reads: "MF1". It should read: "MF111095". If you look hard, you can see a shadow of the following two "1s" outside of the red circle. Definitely no dots on this '91...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.