Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client that is trying to sell me his Ford 400 block out of an old Bronco for $100. It's complete from the intake manifold to the oil pan. I did some research on the Internet and apparently it is based on the 351 block, but has tons of low-end torque. Is this block worth using in my FFR after the 302 dies? Will it fit in an FFR that was made for a 302? I couldn't find anything in the archives. Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solves that problem. Thanks, guys.

·
Really Senior Member
540 Posts
Also, they take a 460 bellhousing. they only came with the C-6 auto. Don't use the 351-M either. Same thing.
Doug

·
FFCobra Craftsman
711 Posts
Fedderson,

Are you thinking you can use the 351M later after the 302 dies?

The 302 will run forever if taken care of, and the parts options for the 302 are endless.

The 351M is not based on the 302 Windsor, or 351 Windsor.

Different motor family, different parts.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Search for Al Gibson here....he has a 400 in his FFR. Not a motor that comes to mind when you talk about all-out performance, but doesn't necessarily deserve the bad rap it has either. It's not too hard to make 350-400HP and TONS of torque with one.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 302 with 25k miles on a total rebuild. $100 for a motor just sounded like a good deal, especially one that is 100 over my engine. It sounds like junk, though, so I'll steer clear and be happy with my 302.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Feddersen,
We have a "budget" dragracer at the local strip that usually blows by most small blocks with a very simple modified 400 on pump gas.
Has been runninh the little red critter for several years, and will give you second thoughts about a 400.
grumpy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts