Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been quite a while since I have chimed in.I still owe this site so much for all the information I received during my build.Anyway, the thing I love so much about my car is I am continuesly playing with it.I just picked up a 1970 Lincoln Mark 3 for 200.00 dollars. It has 59k miles on it,9 inch rear end and a 460 motor.Should I even entertain the thought of trying to stuff the 9 inch rear and 460 into my car. My car was of course ordered to fit a small block.My tranny (93 wc t-5 )is finally dead so does anyone have a suggestion for me? Should I just keep my small block and get a tremec tko 600 (373 rear end) from Mike Forte and be greatful or try to weld new motor mounts to retro fit (with new al. heads of course ) the 460.It is winter time so the car is in the garage and I now have a full size lift.What would you guys do.Thanks,Jamie.
ps. My car is still black primer (59k miles) with 315's bfg tkd's out back and lovin it!

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
no welding required to install 460, just different mounts. Frame mounts are all the same.
The 9" from that car would be way to wide. buy the time it's shortened, axles shortened, suspension brackets welded I don't think it's worth it. Put that money into the 8.8 and it's almost as strong.
What shape is the Lincoln in???

·
Junior Charter Member
873 Posts
I can make a few comments as I used a '76 Lincoln ($400). Shall I state the negative first? In my case (low budget) I had to narrow the diff housing, first torch cutting all mounting bracketry off, sectioning the tubes and welding/aligning the housing back together. Then fab and weld the new brackets cut the axles to length and send them out to be resplined. Measure measure & measure! If you have the pockets to buy a custom housing, the Lincoln doesn't provide that much. Gears, trac lock will have to be added. The bolt circle is different than Mustang, 5" vs. 4.5" The rear discs are big, but heavy. Once done, it's pretty awsome, but mucho work. The engine: I changed everything, the rods (went late model truck & ARP bolts & machine shop rework) pistons, intake man., carb, alum. waterpump. Welded and ported the iron heads (you have to raise the ex. ports to fit headers) Alum. heads about $2500 when you're done. I'm running stock ignition ($$) Balancing, where do you stop? Those crate motors look good! You have to buy headers and side pipes are different (I think) Motor mounts from FF, frame brackets are the same. Heaver front coils. Convert tank pickup for carb. Sender for analog guage. External fuel pump. I ran the C-6 trans, but had to modify (stall converter, shift kit) You need all the radiator you can get, the engine heats the cockpit and stinks like gas and the sound is awsome, tons of torque. I think it's worth it, but don't try to reason it out, it's an emotional decision. I think you're talking more than a winter project here, by the way. Best wishes to whatever you end up with!

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
I had one I bought for $125 .The engine plate should say 375hp! it should have a big holley. Scrap the rear it may be one of those 9-3/8" ones and the 8.8 is strong enough and lighter , just ad 31 spline posi and axles. That engine will make 500hp with no sweat at all without major work. Scrap the intake a little work on the heads and a good cam and Adios Enzo. Call some of the builders. Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts