Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1966 Shelby Cobra Replica. Power Windows, Pioneer Stereo, Custom Interior Door Panels, NEW Convertible Top (See Photos), Ford 289 Engine, 4 Speed Top Loader with 9" Ford Rear End. Current mileage is 12,621. 427 style body with functional chrome side pipes. The car needs a new electric radiator fan (about $150.00), emergency brake repair, and maybe a horn. These items are scheduled to be repaired on Monday, October, 22, 2012. If you agree to purchase the car as is, I will sell it to you for $15,000 and you can make the repairs for much less. Vehicle is located in Addison, TX (DFW area).

· Registered
2,119 Posts
What is it?

Never seen one like this. What kit is this? Power Windows?

Not sure what to think of it:icon18:

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never seen one like this. What kit is this? Power Windows?

Not sure what to think of it:icon18:
The person I bought it from did not know who made the kit. Yes, it has power windows and yes they do work. I recently drove this car from Corinth, MS to Addison, TX, 550+ miles, and the only problem I had was the electric fan motor going bad. Not a big problem on the interstate.

· Registered
2,119 Posts
Congratulations

Would have really been interesting to find out more about the kit. Never seen anything like it.

Looks like to bought a new toy as well. Hope all works out.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is an MG Midget cabin (doors, cowl, windshield, dash, tunnel). I'll call it unusual and leave it at that.

Jeff
I was somewhat insulted by your suggestion it was an MG cabin but now that I have looked at the MGs a little (and sold my car), I agree that much of it came from an MG heritage. Both the inside and outside door handles, top frame and latches, and windshield frame and probably windshield glass appear to have come from a midget. While some may find that distasteful, I thought it was very will integrated into the car design (and I am no longer insulted). :)

In any case, thanks for shedding more light onto what was a mystery to me, the person I bought the car from, and everyone else that saw the car in person.

Tom

· Not a waxer
12,098 Posts
GR8RYD,
No insult intended; that is simply what it is. Compare this MG midget photo with the one of the Ayers car that SunDude posted above and it is quite obvious.

Although it ended up somewhat removed from the original roadster's shape it was pretty clever on the manufacturer's part!

Jeff

· Registered
517 Posts
Ayers was not the only one to use an MGB as the basis of a Cobra replica.

C-F Enterprises Ltd. in Long Beach CA also produced one called the California Ace (see pics below). Not sure if this company is still in business.

· Registered
7,813 Posts
The Panther Lima Kallista cars used Midget doors also...they are a great solution to roll up windows if they get incorporated into design.

There was a UK Kit car that used the entire unibody from a 70's mini mounted on a chassis with a long hood and 6 cylinder ford engine to make a sort of limousine! It actually looked pretty good...it was called a Beaufort

The midget doors on the cobra look pretty good!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.