Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I have always wondered about – what is the difference between a 1965 and 1966 Cobra?

Roy from Springboro

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been told that the 2 tail light cars were one year and the single tail light cars were another year. Just wondering if this was correct.

Roy from Springboro

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
I have been told that the 2 tail light cars were one year and the single tail light cars were another year. Just wondering if this was correct.

Roy from Springboro
The cars originally were fitted with the single rectangular tail lights. However, supply was not keeping up with the production build so they switched to the two tail light design

·
Registered
695 Posts
The cars originally were fitted with the single rectangular tail lights. However, supply was not keeping up with the production build so they switched to the two tail light design
Serious??:confused1: It's not that I doubt what you have learned. It's just hard to imagine a supplier not being able to produce sufficient quantities for an ultra low volume production car.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
The car was built in England and then shipped to the US for the running gear. I believe the light source was a UK manufacturer

·
Registered
517 Posts
Something I have always wondered about – what is the difference between a 1965 and 1966 Cobra?
Not an easy question to answer.

AC Cars and Shelby American were winding down 289 Cobra production in 1965 so some of them were produced then.

Assuming you were only wondering about the 427 Cobras, all 51 competition chassis -- including full-comp, semi-comp and one-off specials -- were produced in 1965. These cars varied quite a bit from the street roadsters.

Production of the 427 street roadster also began in 1965 and, for a while, included some of the narrow-hip bodies. The first Cobras built in 1966 started around chassis number CSX3201 or so. Many of the 3200 series Cobras were powered by 428 police interceptor motors, until the 427s returned to the line up. Round tail lamps also made their appearance then IIRC.

Off the top of my head I can't remember when the Sunburst wheels were used instead of the Halibrand GT40s.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The car was built in England and then shipped to the US for the running gear. I believe the light source was a UK manufacturer
Lucas was the UK manufacturer. Those lights were used on other cars besides the Cobra.

George

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.