Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1954 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  GullwingNZ 
#1 ·
It has been a long time since I last posted on this site. Picture of my build. We have a very thorough certification process here in New Zealand. I am really stocked. I had an interim inspection and it went well. My self built, self designed steel tube frame passed. It is straight, the bump steer and Akerman are good, toe in, caster and camber all good.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Mercedes-benz 300sl

See less See more
#3 ·
I had fitted the doors but was required by the certifier to cut them apart and putting in a steel skeleton. Finished (mostly) the right door and am fitting the glass windows. I tried replicating the original side and vent windows which is very hard to do because if all of the little parts: hinges, frames, latches, gaskets, etc. Most people building a 300SL replica don't replicate the windows.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

#5 ·
In New Zealand we have a robust certification process. I filed a build application before I started. It took 6 months to gain approval. I then had the certifier inspect my project. He made me built a new frame (twice!). Last week I had another interim certification. Lots of things failed (pedal location, steering wheel too big, tires too wide, seat mounts, seat belt mounts, stainless brake lines). Ultimately directing me to have alignment and bump steer checked before I go further. I am so excited. Passed with flying colors! Frame is straight and paralell! No bump steer. All alignment, toe, caster, camber are in range. Doors off, floors and interior removed for the repairs. Once done its full steam ahead.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Wheel Rim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.