Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 15 years I have been using 275/40R17 tires for all track & HPDE driving. Kuhmo V710's and Hankook Ventus Z214's. Both either no longer available or phasing out. So, I'm hitting a critical decision for track tires, stay with extremely limited choices for 17" rims, or go up to 18?

For those of you that use an 18" rim for HPDE/Track, what have you used, and your results/reactions/comments?

·
Charter Member
1,075 Posts
I had to add a set of 18" wheels a couple of years ago due to the lack of availability of 17" tires. I run 245 or 255 up front and 315 in the rear. I was able to purchase 2 sets of BFG R1S tires at that time. Sadly they are no longer available in that size. I like these tires for track. Even though they are DOT I wouldn't use them around town, they are just too sticky. I run Nitto NT01 around town on a 17" wheel. The NT01 tires took a few spirited rides to get them softened up. I believe you can still get the NT01 tires in these sizes for a 17" wheel. That might be your best choice at this time - unless someone else has discovered a better solution.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,731 Posts
get a set of 18x10's and run 275/35/18's if you run a square setup. Tires are cheap and plentiful and you can call GT Tires and get imsa take offs for a 1/3 the price.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gordon,

Can you provide contact info for GT Tires?

·
Charter Member
1,075 Posts
Gordon, that's good to know. I looked into using IMSA take offs a few years ago and the crews all told me the tires were all licensed to them and they were fined if they weren't turned back in.

·
14,731 Posts

·
14,731 Posts
There are several companies out there that do this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts