Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*My dad (who bought the kit) called it MK 1.5 since it was kind of in between I and II transition

I am new to this world, so learning as I go. However, I need new tires and want to upgrade to 17" wheels to give me more options for tires. The car was built from a 89/90 donor Mustang and it has a 4 lug (4 1/4) bolt pattern for the 15" wheels. I know it seems like more options exist for 5 bolt pattern wheels but if I can avoid the extra expense I'd like to see if anyone has found any 17" 4 lug wheels that will work for this Cobra. Initial thoughts are 17x10 rear and 17x9 front (I know FF recommends 10.5 only for Mk 3/4 but it looks like I have room as the current tires are 275/50 so I think I have room.

Any advice on how to be certain on wheel sizing (offset/backspace) and also 17" wheels that work for this 4 lug setup?

Thanks...

·
Charter Member
1,103 Posts
Look for 87 - 93 Mustang 4-lug wheels. There are lots of options. Finding a 10" wheel may take some searching though. I noticed lmr has Cobra R wheels in 8", 9", and 10" widths. Good luck finding just the right set for what you like, there are many choices. One of the modifications you should be aware of is the wide wheel mod to the MK I and II chassis. Without the mod you will be limited in how side you can go in the rear. If you're OK with the 275 tires you have currently then there is no need to be concerned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look for 87 - 93 Mustang 4-lug wheels. There are lots of options. Finding a 10" wheel may take some searching though. I noticed lmr has Cobra R wheels in 8", 9", and 10" widths. Good luck finding just the right set for what you like, there are many choices. One of the modifications you should be aware of is the wide wheel mod to the MK I and II chassis. Without the mod you will be limited in how side you can go in the rear. If you're OK with the 275 tires you have currently then there is no need to be concerned.
Gotcha - Thanks for the info. I definitely don't want to deal with wide wheel mod so maybe I'll just stick with 9". Right now I am looking at balancing a 5 lug conversion kit and possibly going rear disk vs. finding a 4 lug wheel. The ones I like (so far at least) seem to be more available for 5 lug. I will keep looking but the only thing I'm certain of right now is I am going to go from 15" to 17" for sure...

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,458 Posts
I have a MKII and went up to the 17's. (But a 5-lug axle). I used rims that fit the SN 95 8.8 by adding spacers inbetween the drum/rotor and the wheel, 1.5" wide, so I did not have to do the shock mount mod.. BUT, and a BIG one, my body is modified with rear flares, so the wider rim fits. If you stay narrower rims, this idea could help.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: Heisenberg

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,458 Posts
Even though you are not wanting to, upgrading to 5-lug does open up much more possibilities in both rims and modifications. If you do lots of research and purchase carefully, you can do the axle swap easy. Front is just a rotor change, nothing else.

Just some food for thought.

Reactions: Heisenberg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even though you are not wanting to, upgrading to 5-lug does open up much more possibilities in both rims and modifications. If you do lots of research and purchase carefully, you can do the axle swap easy. Front is just a rotor change, nothing else.

Just some food for thought.
I spoke with Richard at https://northracecars.com/ and he gave me some pointers.

I think I will either go with his gear to convert to 5 lug and do disc brakes or the lmr 5 lug kits (https://lmr.com/products/fox-body-5-lug-conversion-kits). I need to price it all out - the Halibrand 17" wheels are pricey but look great...

·
Senior Charter Member
2,399 Posts
Hi,

Having 4 kids, and a wife that is always saving money for College funds and our retirement, i had to build my car for the least amount i could. i'm honestly lucky to have a roadster, and i'm happy with my set up. i used the SN95 spindles up front with the 11" rotor for the PBR dual piston calipers, and went with the 5 lug Ranger axles for my 8.8 rear that i also bolted in the caliper brackets and some 1999 rear discs from a Mustang GT.

I did this all by going to a Pick-Your-Part wrecking yard to source the parts and found that all of these parts are readily available. the Ranger truck axles are out there, but for example are also found on the Bronco II and there are still other fords that you can cross reference to source the parts. they're out there.

This of course makes the assumption that you're going to clean and recondition the parts as needed. i used the front calipers i bought at the wrecking yard as the core exchange for the new calipers that eventually went on my car. I also kept an eye on deals as they became available. the wrecking yard i frequent has 50% off days that made getting the parts i needed really cheap. as i recall the 5 lug axles were under $10, the front spindles were like $30 for the pair, and i got the brake pads on a black Friday deal at Pep Boys. you get the idea.

i run 17 X 9 wheel with a 245 tire on the front, and a 17 X 10.5 wheel with a 315 tire on the rear with an 8.8 from my donor car 88 Mustang GT that i drove in College. it's do'able on a budget. besides, i like picking through the bone yards...there was a Cop Crown Vic with lots of interesting parts on it that had a lot of potential.

Here's my car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Having 4 kids, and a wife that is always saving money for College funds and our retirement, i had to build my car for the least amount i could. i'm honestly lucky to have a roadster, and i'm happy with my set up. i used the SN95 spindles up front with the 11" rotor for the PBR dual piston calipers, and went with the 5 lug Ranger axles for my 8.8 rear that i also bolted in the caliper brackets and some 1999 rear discs from a Mustang GT.

I did this all by going to a Pick-Your-Part wrecking yard to source the parts and found that all of these parts are readily available. the Ranger truck axles are out there, but for example are also found on the Bronco II and there are still other fords that you can cross reference to source the parts. they're out there.

This of course makes the assumption that you're going to clean and recondition the parts as needed. i used the front calipers i bought at the wrecking yard as the core exchange for the new calipers that eventually went on my car. I also kept an eye on deals as they became available. the wrecking yard i frequent has 50% off days that made getting the parts i needed really cheap. as i recall the 5 lug axles were under $10, the front spindles were like $30 for the pair, and i got the brake pads on a black Friday deal at Pep Boys. you get the idea.

i run 17 X 9 wheel with a 245 tire on the front, and a 17 X 10.5 wheel with a 315 tire on the rear with an 8.8 from my donor car 88 Mustang GT that i drove in College. it's do'able on a budget. besides, i like picking through the bone yards...there was a Cop Crown Vic with lots of interesting parts on it that had a lot of potential.

Here's my car.

Looks great! Definitely food for thought in terms of how to get things done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts