Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feeling I've done something wrong. Did some searching, and didn't find anything on this subject. I put on my 17x9 front wheels this weekend, and the upper contrtol arm is rubbing on the rim. Lug nuts are tight, and the rub is just more than enough to notice. I can still spin the tire with finger pressure. Did I make a boo-boo, or is this common? How much clearance do I need there? I also only have about 3/8-1/2" clearance on the 10.5 back rim with the 3 link brackets. Will that be enough?
Thanks in advance, from someone who is asking waaay more questions than he thought he would.
Rob

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
No I dont think it's you I think you have Cobra III's and need a spacer . Is that a good guess ? I had that problem with mine . Bob

·
Senior Charter Member
1,230 Posts
Its either your back spacing or your IFS bracket. Probably backspacing.

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
Are you trial fitting them without the rotors?

My 17x9 with a 5.825" backspacing Halibrand Cobra IIIs were real close and the wheel weights got plucked off when I was in a hurry and left the rotors in the box just to see how they looked. It scared me too, but the rotors gave them just enough room to call it good.

Different year spindles can bring them closer or take them farther out as well.

The book says '87 thru '04 stuff works. But there is definately a "recipe" when it comes to these cars.

Let us know more about your combo of rim width, backspacing, and the year of your spindles.
Good luck, never say die.

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the eBay listing:
Front 17 x 9" - 24mm and Rear 17 x 10.5" - 27mm Cobra deep dish with chrome rivet replica.
I am 99% sure that's what 24mm is. Brake rotors are on.

·
Not a waxer
12,067 Posts
'70,
I answered your post regarding these wheels recently (same as mine). You are using '87-'93 spindles, right?
Unless the pictures are decieving it appears that you have used the holes in the IFS adaptor for the '94 and later spindles. Earlier Fox body ones use the top and 3rd. holes, later ones go in the second and bottom. I think that's causing your problem.
Jeff

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff,
You're right. I screwed that up. In a similar note, how do I delete this whole post so that noone will know that I'm a dope?
Rob

·
4,342 Posts
Too late, we know. :D

It's not a screw up unless you don't catch it.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
We all make mistakes , don't be ashamed . this post will be saved for life so others dont do the same thing. Consider yourself a mentor. I put my fuel pump in and mixed up the in/out , someone else put headers on backwards , it happens. Bob

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I blew out a head gasket after driving my gokart 11 miles, right after a fresh engine rebuild. I reused the stock head bolts. DOH!!!

It's how we learn; take it in stride. You are now an IFS pro!

-Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts