Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is a stock 302 EFI.

I've swapped out the headers and have the standard rotation water pump setup.

I have EGR, but no other smog stuff. I took out the heater plumbing.

Can I use the 160 degree thermostat. I'm down here in FL, so I'm sure the car will run between 160-190 with it.

With the stock thermostat, the car runs from 190-210...I want to cool it down.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
Use a 180 thermostat. If the temp doesn't get above 180 the computer runs in warm-up mode all the time, which means too rich.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Dan,
I have a 160 thermostat in my car. It was put in when I had my 302 (have a 351 now). It by itself made a minimal difference, but we swapped radiators, and it made a HUGE difference. So, I think it depends on the efficiency of your radiator. If you've got a real good one, the 160 will help it run cooler, as it'll open sooner and longer to keep the motor cool. If the radiator isn't up to snuff, you can remove the thermostat all together and run wide open and you'll probably still run hot. Now with my aluminum radiator from Tri-States and the thermostat, I can pound on the car and it never overheats. My Mustang has a supercharged 302 and I put a huge aluminum radiator in it. A day of driving at the limits on the open track at Pocono, and the motor never got hot.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts