Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to follow advice offered earlier from some of the sages here...

Let's say I like the original Halibrand look for the carburated street 345 HP 302 Mk-III with 3-link delux rear. I'll either go with upgraded FMS LCAs from 5-Star, or FF tubular LCAs or Frote's LCAs...

My read so far is the following..

1. Really don't need the rear discs for street use.
2. Can't see much of the disc or drum on the rear anyway with the Halibrand wheel so drum/disc cosmetics don't matter.

This get's me to a 4-lug fox setup with rear discs based on cost.

I understand that I have to go with at least a 5" front wheel backspace if I go with tubular LCAs..

Now my question is, which rims - 15s or 17s?

What about ride and performance? What gives the most original look?

Thanks,
Sherrell

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
15" rims will require a tire with more sidewall. The advantages are: Period correct look, softer ride. Disadvantages: Not many high performance tires available.

17 wheels will allow you to use "Z" rated tires, wider tires. Disadvantages: Lower profile doesn't fill the wheel well fully, harsher ride.

2FAST

·
8,350 Posts
Call me a traditionalist, but I think the 15" wheels reaaaaly look the best.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, you guys are REALLY quick on the draw..

Any advice WRT FMS LCAs from 5-Star vs. Fortes tubular LCAs vs. FF LCAs?

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
2Fast put it together quite well Sherrell.

I'm running 15" Halibrands and love the look. The four lugs have 6 spokes and the 5 lugs have 5. I'm running 4 lugs with drum rears. I'm only on the street. No track time, no AutoX.
I also love the ride on Doo Dahs' frost-heaved streets.
Are you gonna run stock durometer rubber bushings or gonna go with poly? I've ridden in an FFR with 17" American Racing and poly bushings and the ride was awful. Ten minutes and I was ready to get out.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have to confess I don't understand the ins and outs of the rubber vs. poly issue to have an informed opinion. Your input is my first datapoint. Which front LCAs are you running?

Thanks, Don...
Sherrell

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
Sherrell,
I'm running stock Mustang Front LCA's with a semi-stock 4-link rear (Carrera Coilovers in place of the stock Mustang springs and vertical shocks). I DID install new front LCA ball joints. btw, the Mustang LCA's are available brand new from FMS including new ball joints. Not too expensive as I recall.
What are you going to do with the car? If you're 100% street like me, or even mostly street, I don't think you'll get much out of the tubular LCA's. The stock Mustang's aren't all that much heavier, if at all. I don't think there's any gain in geometry either. The tubulars sure look prettier tho.
On the poly bushings: They deflect much less than stocks. The obvious ad is the greater control of the suspension. Your wobbly bits won't wobble as much. The downside is the harshness they impart to your ride. Not a disad at all in a race car, not so nice on the street. You'll feel every pebble and tar strip you go over.
HTH,
d.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I have 15 and 17 inches wheels. Painting either with a broad stroke that one or the other is too harsh is a mistatement. I can make either too harsh simply by changing the air pressure which equally affects handling.

15s have a more tradional appearance. If your car has non traditional seats, roll bar configs and Nascar guages then the choice of 17s provide an edge in available tires?

Halibrand 15 inch replicas are available in 4 lug as well as 17 inch Cobra Rs in chrome, polished or silver powdercoat. Both are limited in backspace choices and both look great.

You won't notice a difference between stock LCAs and tubulars unless the bushings are bad. My car originally had 4 link. When I upgraded the bushings they only exagerated already bad handling features and road vibration. This was on 15s.

Rear disks are a plus if you learn to drive your Cobra fast.

Roger

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
i driven my car extensively with 15" and 17". what rides better depends on how the car is setup. 5 years ago it rode better with the 15". last year it rode (much) better with the 17" because the of 5 years of suspension work.

the 15" will look better and is more retro. the tires you have to choose from suck though.

james

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
James and Roger make a good point. The industry went thru something similar when radial tires were coming in. Retrofitting them to cars on which they didn't come originally brought ride and handling complaints.

Tires and suspension are a system and it all has to work together.

The tire industry even had to warn people about mixing radials and bias plies on the same car.

Doesn't get you any closer to a decision tho does it? :D

d

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts
I'm going with 15s. The look of the 60s and 70s. 17s with the low profile tires are on everything now, and they don't look right to me. Its a style I haven't been able to like yet.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,218 Posts
I'm using my 15" for the street, and just picked up a set of used 17" rims cheap for "fun"!

The car will ride better with a good sidewall, but the 17's are the way to go on the track.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Original look & street use = 15" wheels

If you are contemplating periodic track use (autocross or open track) then you should be considering 17" wheels

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
If you are after originality then definately the 15's, However if you want better handling, and more tire choices, go 17. I personally prefer the look of the 17's over the 15's. It's up to you.

One more thing, you may want to keep in mind. If you want the Halibrand style rims with the Deep Dish look, which is what I'm after, you'll either have to go to Pin Drive Width IRS, or Shorten your Live Axle setup. I recently just changed over to the IRS route, and so far am glad I did. The car will both ride and handle better with IRS, plus you can have that Lovely DEEP Dish look.

Rob.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow... you guys are great...
Larry special thanks for the photos...
I definitely like the 15" look better...
Since I only plan on street use, I think that's the way I will go (4-lug). Can always upgrade, but I love the look of the 15"...

Thanks again for the input... now I only need to find a set of 4-lug turbine wheels as rollers until I finish the build... I understand they're pretty common and I should be able to find a set locally for a reasonal price...???

·
Registered
361 Posts
How about splitting the difference and going with 16's? Compomotive makes then in this size for the 5 lug.

Check this link. http://www.usacomp.com/hb.htm

After seeing so many low profile tires over the last 10 years my eyes adjusted to the that look, but I think 17's are still a bit too extreme for a Cobra.

Garnet

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
Hello, I am torn about team 3 PSE and now these. Does anyone ahve them and do they like them? If so what is the back spacing (Mark II, no mods).

Thanks,

jim

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I went with 15" 5-lug Team III wheels with FFR tubular control arms front and back with coilovers in back, BFG tires 235/60-15 in front and 295/50-15 in back. I think the ride is pretty good.
17" wheels just don't look right on a 60's vintage car, that's just my opinion though.

Charlie

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Good "debate". I do like the "looks" of a 15" rim, but for the street, I'd prefer to have the felxibility to get some nice 17" rubber of my choice.

I would say that if it's going to be driven a lot but not really racing it, 15" would be the way I'd want to go. I'd probably spring for some high performance rims and tires for racing purposes and if I know myself, I'm likely to go for 15" as the first purchase to get it rolling.

Now if you're of the inclination to take a few street light races now and then, perhaps you'd want the 17" from the get-go so you're not caught off-guard.

Food for thought.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts