Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My billboards need replacing. I am running 15x8 and 15x10 hallibrands, IRS on my MKIV. I am thinking of trying out a radial tire. Maybe the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R.

No real issues with the billboards, I love the look, just want to try a radial to see how they ride.

Any chance folks with 15" could post a pic of their ride, what they have and how they like it? Thanks a lot.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,802 Posts
cooper cobra street tires, 235/60/15 front, 295/50/15 rear fit great

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here are 2 pics of my Gen 3 Coupe. hope this helps. 15 inch wheels with Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R. Doug

View attachment 365722

View attachment 365721
Those look great Doug! I like how the sidewall has the same fatness as the the billboards. That is the look I want. Where did you get the stencils? I was reading about them but couldn't decide which ones worked the best. Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have Cooper Cobra's, same size as what Gordon stated. 2500 mikes on them and all good so far. Am actually surprised at how well they grip...I can get on the throttle pretty hard without them breaking loose (however once they are spinning they just spin).

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blackwall looks good too!

Bottom line, FFR look good no matter what shoes you use.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
I had billboards on my car. Hated them. Lousy ride and rotted out. I replaced them with shaved tires from Diamond Back Tires. They’re actually Milestar radials (295/50-15 and 245/60-15). The shaved sides make it appear more period correct.

Reactions: Kiwiracer and emac

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Raceline Digital, from Canada. It took 3-4 weeks to get, but they are nice quality. I sprayed those using regular white primer. I would try a paint that is a little more flexible for the next time. They are a 1 time use adhesive backed vinyl mask. Before I used them I took a set to Staples and made some photo copies onto paper. The Raceline ones give you a very crisp line around the letters. I tried the paper ones by spraying them with a temporary artist tack spray to hold them in place and used the same primer. They ended up with a little bit of bleed through and overspray, but look really vintage imo.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Raceline Digital, from Canada. It took 3-4 weeks to get, but they are nice quality. I sprayed those using regular white primer. I would try a paint that is a little more flexible for the next time. They are a 1 time use adhesive backed vinyl mask. Before I used them I took a set to Staples and made some photo copies onto paper. The Raceline ones give you a very crisp line around the letters. I tried the paper ones by spraying them with a temporary artist tack spray to hold them in place and used the same primer. They ended up with a little bit of bleed through and overspray, but look really vintage imo.
I tried the Raceline stencils and they tore, were flimsy and wouldn’t stick to the tires. Tossed them. But thanks for getting back to me . Guess it’s black walls for me

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Those are 1/2 oval aluminum pieces epoxied to the door panel to give the appearance of beaded panels.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had billboards on my car. Hated them. Lousy ride and rotted out. I replaced them with shaved tires from Diamond Back Tires. They’re actually Milestar radials (295/50-15 and 245/60-15). The shaved sides make it appear more period correct.

Thanks Bill. So, you ordered them as smooth sidewalls from Diamond Back? The black sidewall is growing on me.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Thanks Bill. So, you ordered them as smooth sidewalls from Diamond Back? The black sidewall is growing on me.
Yes. dbtires.com

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts