Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year everyone.

Time to resurrect that old discussion about 15 inch tires. My Firehawks are approaching 8 years old, and while they have served me well for almost 20,000 miles, I’m guessing its time to start looking for replacements. I was on the Summit site and there seems to be few choices. Mickey Thompson, Cooper Cobras, and an apparent new option is Coker Tire selling BF Goodrich Radial T/A’s. There is also a Mastercraft option, never heard of that brand.

Tire Rack only lists the Radial T/A’s in our sizes Any input from the group? My car is a street cruiser, trips, etc, no track use.

Thanks in advance

John

·
Not a waxer
11,769 Posts
I built a Mk4 for a customer a few years ago and he chose the Coopers (strictly because they said "Cobra" on the side ;)). FFR 15X8 & 15X9 wheels, Fox width rear, 235/60 in the front and 295/50 in the rear. Fit perfectly and have served him flawlessly for ~20K miles on his street cruiser.

Jeff

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff, I should have mentioned that I’m running the FFR Halibrands with the ‘old’ IRS. FFR calls for 275’s on the rear, but those are non existent.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,042 Posts
I'm on my 4th(?) set of 15" Cooper Cobras and really like them on my old MKI. Many many miles and no problems. Agree 100% with what JKleiner posted . Just saying

hth
Butch

·
Cross Menber
92 Posts
I wonder if Discount tire direct would have the NT 555 in a 15". I have 275 40-17 in the NT 555 G2 and love them, no problems on normal roads. Not the best on snow, to be expected, but some times the kids want a "ride", and I can't say no.

One of the guys I see at Cars and coffee has the NT 555 drag radial on the rear, and NT 555 G2 on the front, he has had no problems with them on the road for a couple years now.

I had 8 year old G-force Sport Comp on there with fair results, they were 5 years old before I drove it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
On my second set of Cooper Cobras - 29K miles - no problems.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
John,
You and I measured my tire height compared to yours, so I realize this may not work for you; But here is the 275/60 that I purchased. I should mention that I'm running the sn95 rear end which is 3" wider than the Fox. Not sure of the dimensions of the IRS you have. As you know, my tire is too tall to allow the drop butt mod on my build, but maybe it'll fit in your wheel well.

With reference to the question about how they are in rain, I've driven mine in a pouring rain and felt very comfortable in their performance. I wasn't racing, but was on highway.

As far as the occasional track use, I haven't tried it yet. I would guess they're not ideal, but maybe okay for "occasional" fun autocross. (I'll find out soon enough) :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Mastercraft is the store brand for a large Canadian automotive/hardware store with many stores all over the country "Canadian Tire" They sell many tire brands and have their own brand as well. Mastercraft tires are mostly a lower priced tire that a friend refers to as "rim protectors"
David W

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John,
You and I measured my tire height compared to yours, so I realize this may not work for you; But here is the 275/60 that I purchased. I should mention that I'm running the sn95 rear end which is 3" wider than the Fox. Not sure of the dimensions of the IRS you have. As you know, my tire is too tall to allow the drop butt mod on my build, but maybe it'll fit in your wheel well.

With reference to the question about how they are in rain, I've driven mine in a pouring rain and felt very comfortable in their performance. I wasn't racing, but was on highway.

As far as the occasional track use, I haven't tried it yet. I would guess they're not ideal, but maybe okay for "occasional" fun autocross. (I'll find out soon enough) :)
Thanks Dave, I did see those, but the diameter is a bit larger that the 295’s and I believe that would cause some issues for me.

·
6,305 Posts
The Mickey Thompson ST radials (made by Cooper Tire) are also a good 15 inch option. For the type of service you describe either the Coopers or MTs would work well. I can't speak for the Radial T/As but they are standard equipment on 15 inch Superformance Cobras if that does anything for you.
Frank

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
I've been running the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T radials in 295/50R15 rear and 235/60R15 front for a couple seasons now. I turned the white letters in and think they look pretty good, fit well and perform adequately for a street cruiser. I don't try and fool myself that they are a 'high performance' tire. I think they are nearly identical to similar size Cooper Cobra tires.

Sean

·
6,305 Posts
My buddy has MT SR tires on his Cobra with a 600 HP FE and they are terrific. They would be a good choice if you can accommodate the goofy sizes.

Frank

·
Registered
264 Posts
I run the 15" Cooper Cobras as well. I would consider them a street tire only and not really meant for track days. Not that you CAN'T run them on occasional track days, but if you're really trying for some hot laps the lack of traction will let you down. Engine HP and how you use the throttle will also make a difference.
All that being said, I like my Coopers. I bought them for the 15" look that I wanted(with FFR Halibrands) and they look great and perform decent on the road. Never had them in the wet(I live in Albuquerque...) and they get better when warmer(cold performance is mediocre).
When mine need replacing I'll most likely go with the same thing for the road and stick with a different set of 18's for track days.

-TJ

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,042 Posts
I've had "several set" of 15" T/A radials and "several sets" of 15" Cooper Cobra's. My vote for general street and mild performance driving in all kinds of weather would be the Coopers hands down!!! But than again I drive a lot of miles:grin2:lol
hth

Butch

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone, I love the forum, so much knowledge....those S/R’s are a new option.....more reading to do...

·
Junior Charter Member
293 Posts
Nitto offers the 555R drag radial in 275/50R15 and 325/50R15. I've been running the 275's for 8 years and have really liked them. Probably not the best tire for rain or cold weather, but I tend to avoid driving on those days. Probably the stickiest option out there.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably not the best tire for rain or cold weather, but I tend to avoid driving on those days. Probably the stickiest option out there.
Thanks Danny, but my nickname in our club is the rainmaker. My wife and I are known to drive ~700 miles to the NC mountains and it’s common to see this.

https://youtu.be/srcA8T0qpvg

So I’ll be looking for some wet performance

John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts