Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Charter Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of BFG T/A’s on the car now. 235 front and 295 rear. They are 12 years old and I’m thinking I should change them out.

Car is a MK3 with Team III wheels. 15x10 on rear and 15x8 fronts.

What are you guys running? I own a shop and sell tires so I can pretty much get whatever.

I can go back with the current size but only tire offered is a BFG, Cooper cobra, and a Mickey Thompson.

Is there another size you guys are running? Maybe a wider rear?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
The Cooper Cobra's are acceptable for normal street driving. If you want true high performance in a 15" tire, your only choice is Avon, but they cost $$$$$

·
Charter Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d consider me a normal street driver. When I drive it. Lol

Car is 12 years old and has @13k on it. So about 1k a year.

·
Not a waxer
11,816 Posts
Would you change a 12 year old set of tires?
Only if I planned to drive it!!!!!

I don't let anything go more than 5 years, even trailers, regardless of mileage. OK, I take that back---the lawn mower and wheelbarrow tires are older than 5 years.

Jeff

·
Charter Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you change a 12 year old set of tires?
Only if I planned to drive it!!!!!

I don't let anything go more than 5 years, even trailers, regardless of mileage.

Lol Jeff. I sell tires and I already knew the answer but at about 100 miles a month it’s hard to justify.

I am planning on going on a pretty lengthy ride with a Cobra group out of Charlotte.

First time in 12 years. My father always wanted to go and he passed away 4 years ago and I’ve been saying I would go and take his car. Business has always interfered with the dates but this year it didn’t.

I’ll get a set put on this week.

Ps Jeff let’s talk about this repaint.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I replaced my Radial T/A's w/a set of Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T. 235/60-15 fronts & 295/50-15 Rears.

Much better traction, IMHO, than the BFG's...

HTH,
Will

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I replaced my Radial T/A's w/a set of Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T. 235/60-15 fronts & 295/50-15 Rears.

Much better traction, IMHO, than the BFG's...

HTH,
Will
How about the rain?

George

·
Charter Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have access to the MT from my tire distributor. They are a little more money but if they are worth it over the Coopers I can go that route.

·
Junior Charter Member
642 Posts
I thought Mickey Thompson was owned by Cooper?

Pretty sure the sportsman st and the RS3-S are the same tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Reactions: GWL

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,048 Posts
Cooper Cobras for me. I'm on my 4th(?) set of them. I drive my cobra way more than most folks drive theirs? Coopers work just fine for my long types of driving in all kinds of weather. But than again, I drive 'Ol#1437 a lot! 180,000mi +/-. Just saying--lol
Butch

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
I changed out my BFGs after @ 9 years on the road and MAN were they hard. It happens so slowly you just don't realize that you're driving around on hockey pucks.
Went with Cooper Cobras and been very happy.

·
Charter Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now to decide on Blackwell or white letter out.

Currently running white out.

Anyone have any pics of their car both ways.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Here’s mine black wall out.

John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,732 Posts
Finished my car in 07 Originally I had the same tires, swapped them 5 years ago they would be the same age do you drive aggressively once in awhile?
The BFG’s are ok and and predictable on sweeping turns and one of the few choices in 15”. I am looking for better choices and am forced to go 17.

·
Charter Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finished my car in 07 Originally I had the same tires, swapped them 5 years ago they would be the same age do you drive aggressively once in awhile?
The BFG’s are ok and and predictable on sweeping turns and one of the few choices in 15”. I am looking for better choices and am forced to go 17.
I’ve been looking around and i really like the look of the 17” wheels and tires.

I could then go 315 for the rears. I’m gonna call North Race cats today and explore my options.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts