Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some of your thoughts on the cons of putting 1400hp in a cobra. Everybody says you can't get all that horsepower on the road but is it really as cut and dry as that? In addition to this, what amount horsepower do you guys think is a good combination of something that will standout, yet can can be agile and quick around corners as well as controllable. Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
Of course it's no that cut and dried; nothing ever is.

The big issue with power, of course, is control. The Cobra doesn't weigh much, but it does have better balance than most cars. And putting that much power in a '65 Caddy would make traction and control difficult.

Pay special attention to your suspension. Put he biggest and stickiest tires you can get. And then practice driving the car so you can control it.

If I had the money and know-how, I'd do it. But then, I'm not always a good decision maker. ;)

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
It's about 1,000 too many.....

·
Super Moderator
29,401 Posts
The only way to get that much power to the ground would be with 16" wide drag slicks. And with a short wheelbase, you'll be standing it on it's tail or worse. If you want that much HP for bragging rights, go for it. But why spend all that money to get that much power when you can't even use 1/2 of it?

·
Premium Member
12,196 Posts
Bad idea. I'd put 1,400 hp in a cobra if I was looking for a creative way to kill myself.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Whether or not it is a good thing, do you really think that you have the skills and experience to drive it?

Are you one in a million?

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
Find a few different owners willing to take you for a spin. You might be amazed at what 400 hp feels like.
I've done that myself and have to say that around 550 hp to the rear wheels achieved by turbo can be manageable even around town, as well as put to the ground at highway speed.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Bad idea. I'd put 1,400 hp in a cobra if I was looking for a creative way to kill myself.
I was talking to a Superformance guy at the dealership and they were offering a 550hp package at the time (maybe more now) and he said the car with that package was dangerous for anyone without any kind of professional driver training and experience.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,218 Posts
I agree and if you want to kill yourself there are cheaper and easier ways with less mess for someone else to clean up

·
Registered
306 Posts
Total waste of money.......................and suicidal.........................

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
That would make a car that is supposed to be fun and drivable a waste of time and money.

·
Premium Member
9,693 Posts
To achieve 1400 HP, you would need top use a Top Fuel engine and a nitromethane fuel mix. Those engines only last about 1/4 mile before requiring a rebuild, and aren't even close to being practical on the street, or anywhere else for that matter, other than a drag strip.
I once considered using a 255 CI DOHC Indy engine in another car, but found I could make more streetable power using a just a small block stroker.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
The bragging rights do NOT out weight the danger factor. Traction would be nearly impossible and if you had traction, you would be on the wheelie bars...
NOTE: I had a stock Hayabusa and it ran perfectly. A friend of mine had a turbo Busa and we raced once. It was like I forgot to go because he left me behind in seconds he was 400 feet in front of me. Well I just had to get that turbo. I took my solid 10.6 @ 138 street bike and it became a 9.63 @ 154 (2.06 60 ft time) and totally over powered. I was constantly spinning the tire and getting out of the throttle to get on it again just to spin it more. I was spinning a slick all the way through 3rd gear.... It broke a top ring, rebuilt the engine with new pistons, stock rods and took it to Loring AFB for the 1.5 mile East Coast timing association only to pull the rods out of the of the pistons decellerating from 180 on a licensing run. Sold it and now I can remember how it didn't kill me. I did LOVE the power though!!

·
Driver not a Waxer
175 Posts
Somebody once asked Bill Elliot (in his prime) what was the scariest car he had ever driven. Unique had built 4 cobras with Ernie Elliot NASCAR motors, and Bill ended up with one. He immediately said that cobra was the scariest car he ever drove, so much so he sold it right away. Are you better than Awesome Bill?

·
Super Moderator
29,401 Posts
His profile says "student". Likely some HS kid

·
Premium Member
12,196 Posts
1 - 20 of 89 Posts