Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK-I'm still in the planning stages at this time (gotta sell the 911 first). But here are my initial thoughts:
Mk2 kit - $12,000
Donor car - $2,000
Wheels/Tires - $2,000
4-wheel Disc brake kit - $2,000
3-link rear end - $600
Paintjob - $1500
Engine mods - $1000

What is the most bang for about $1000 to increase HP on the 5.0 while retaining its reliability and drivability?

BTW, thanks for the ride yesterday CobraMD. Yours is the first car I've been in that can chirp the tires while upshifting at highway speeds! Great car!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,733 Posts
Paint Job $1500. hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
You could do alot better on those brakes!
Mike

[ September 07, 2002, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: ORANGE CRUSH ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
intake, TB, pullies, headers, and maf.

or if your donor has high miles consider a explorer motor, you get gt40 heads, cobra style intake, a bigger tb and a lot newer engine with lower miles.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Mike C

Are you planning on doing all the body work and paint of the car? I ask as your paint budget is a little low. You should be in the area of 3500.00 for both done by a pro.

Rear disks can be done for much less. I'm currently gathering the parts to convert my rear drum to disk. Costs so far..: Used calipers and mounts 28.00. I'll rebuild them. Richard Oben's brackets and hardware....162.00. Re-man rotors probably 50 to 100 each.
As you see way below 2K.

For the HP gains for 1000.00 depends on whether you use EFI or switch to Carb. The Holley system Max system seems a good choice.

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Mike,

Explorer intake and 65mm TB - $250 +/- (watch Ebay)

Cam - $165

Headers - $130

Underdrive pullies - $100

Nice easy "bolt-ons" that will give you a little extra kick. Use the remaining $355 for gaskets and dress-up items. If you feel up to it you can even do a mild port job on the heads and gain a little more.

Greg

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Also add about 1-sk for replacement donor parts if you want to get a donor that cheap. Then add 1500 for extra cobra items(bezels, gauges ifyou want, etc). TRUST me it adds up. I had this beautiful plan for pro paint and rebuiild all mechanicals of donor for 20K and somehow it has risin to almost 26k. Just realize this fact of building a car.

·
Senior Charter Member
540 Posts
I painted my car for under $350 in materials and paint but I had a paint gun, compressor and a big cajonias. The paint is not perfect but looks about right for a real cobra. I do not get to worried about a few paint chips either. If you can do most of the body work and can find a painter that does work on the side you can get the paint done for the $1500 very easily. If you get the body work perfect Macco can paint it for under $500 but it will not be a mirror finish. Remember it is your car and if you intend to drive it a $5000 paint job might not be a good idea.

My motor is a stock 5.0 from a Mountaineer that ford rejected or used as a test vehicle. I wanted the GT-40p heads and the motor was $1080 delivered including tax(I live in the Ford owned salvage yard's delivery area so I got free shipping) Here are my mods: Sold GT-40 intake system and cleared $200, Edelbrock performer rpm intake $150, 600 holley $220, trick flow stage one cam $140, FMS chrome engine dress up kit $100, Mallory unilight distributor & balest resistor $240, FMS performance V-belt pulleys $135. I am using 4 into 1 headers from Randy Hunter(I have a Hunter kit not a FFR).

This car will really fly and I am probably between 300 and 320 flywheel HP.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the helpful replies.
What continues to amaze me is how cheap the 5.0 mods are. Of course, I've become accustomed to Porsche prices ($$$)!!

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
To all those who think 4000 dollar paint is not worth it on the street.
Some local cobra guys have 4000 dollar paint and one has 6000 miles on his car in about 6 months. Still looks like new, if not better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.