Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the manual states on the 94 and Up LCAs I am to use the inner holes as the front track is wider. When I test fit the shocks/springs the shock appears too long. I would have to compress the shock about 1/2 to 1". The LCA is bottoming out on the 4" main frame tube.
Should I just compress it and call it a day? Should the LCA bottom on the frame? Just does not seem right. An old post shows a 94 LCA on the outer hole. Oh boy. :eek: :confused:

Henry

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,170 Posts
Do you have coilovers for the rear too?

The shock length is different for the front and rear.
Perhaps you've mixed them up.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Mmmm, I thought on the 94 LCAs were suppossd to use the outer holes. That is where mine are. I am going to have to double check that now.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
The more I think about it I think I am right. I think the SN95 spindels are supposed to have the same track width as the 93 and earlier. That would expalin the use of the inner holes for the 96 and later. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Mike

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have the manual with the Red White and Blue car on the cover check page 45. I appears to be a phot from the front looking down the Pass side. The 94-04 control arm text appears to be on the inner most holes? Yes No Maybe?

My Box 1A only had 2 bilstiens and 2 coils. I dont believe any Bilstiens or coild were on my back order list. I do see a section in the Donar area in the front of the book talking about cutting off 1 whole coil off the spring so I assume you dont get 4 shocks and springs.

Henry

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I inquired about using a 93 PS rack and BOB at FFR mentioned that the 94 is wider and the 93 rack would not reach as the width is wider on SN-95 cars is wider. I confused I appreciate your help.

Michael If You are using the tube LCA's you are indeed right in the picture it shows 87-93 or tube LCAs in the outers. You are good.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Henry,

I am sure someone will chime in first thing in the morning and clear this up for us. I am using 94 spindels on the outer holes with the manual steering rack from FFR.

As far what Bob was saying at FFR, yes I think the 95 cars were wider but the spindels are the same or close to the same width as the 93 and older.

You should of received 4 shocks and springs. I would double check your inventory as I bet they are in one of your other boxes. I've never heard of anyone having to mix doner springs and shocks with the FFR coil over option.

Thanks

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
If you have the 4 link, you will only get two shocks, for the front. Unless you got the IRS opton or 3 link. On the 4 link you use the donor springs and shocks for the rear. I believe Mike is right and you use the outer holes.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
I have installed the 95 donor arms (since upgraded to FFR's tubular lowers).

The manual is not very straightforward here, but it does state (provided you have a newer Mk III edition), that the 94-up front LCA's need to go in the INNER holes. I have several copies of the Mk III manual (different revisions) and the info is not in exactly the same place in each edition. In Revision 1U (May 2005) edition for instance, it is not in the section on front suspension assembly, but near the back on page 255:

There are two sets of holes on the Facctory Five chassis to mount the lower control arms. The inner holes are for the 1994-2004 Control arms, and the outer holes are for the 1979-1993 arms.
While they may bolt into the outer holes, they do not truly fit there. They are longer than Fox LCA's by approximately 3/4" and also thicker at the mounting end so they will not freely rotate without rubbing the main frame tube if mounted in the outer holes. you may notice that the inner holes are also slightly higher which gives the necessary clearance for the thicker SN95 LCA's.

Mounting them in the inner holes and using 94-95 spindles means you will retain the same track width as a Fox Mustang.

The rack itself is the same as earlier Fox racks, but the inner and outer tie-rods are different lengths. FFR supplies the correct Fox length replacements if you tell them you are using a 94-up donor.

P.S. I have Pro-Shocks, not Bilsteins up front, but my springs and shocks were bolted up loose, with the adjuster spun off. Once shocks were bolted on, I simply installed the hat, shifted the spring in to position, and then spun the adjuster back on the shock body.

Sean

·
Registered
394 Posts
Henry - I have '95 LCAs mounted to the inner holes and I have to compress the shocks as well to get the upper screws in. Makes it a pain with the spacers and all but I never really thought about it being an issue.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
FWIW I have a MKII and only 1 choice of mounting holes. I am using FX A Arms's & SN spindles. I had to compress the shock an inch or so to install them as well and the Arms do bottom out on full droop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts