Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question is asked a lot, but i've been very curious. I have a Type 65 coupe and have been asked the question alot myself. Unfortunately the car is not on the road yet. But what is a rough estimate considering the following specs?

400hp 351w
should weigh in at around 2600-2650
IRS with 3.27 gearing
Tremec TKO600 plus
Nitto NT555 275's on the rear (first set, i figured they would go away quickly)

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,054 Posts
On a good pass/track/driver, maybe mid to upper 12s?
hth
Butch

PS
When done with build, take It to a track & let us know--have fun & be safe

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,054 Posts
I hope Chris can better my guesses! But, till he actually goes to the track, I stick to my guesses. Desk top racing way differant than real racing. Just saying--
Butch

·
8,184 Posts
Assuming that the 400HP is flywheel I think Butch is pretty close. In a coupe with the restrictive exhaust that's probably around 320 HP to possibly as much as 340 HP at the wheels. I would guess mid 12's if you can get the TKO to shift quickly which you may find challenging.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,223 Posts
The acceleration calculator has my car going 9:44 @ 144mph. Seems a bit optimistic.

·
Snake Farmer
10,319 Posts
If you use that calculator, don't forget to add your body weight as well, not just the cars weight.
I lost a second, when I added my 220lbs..better start dieting..lol :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Heck, with just a low compression 331 in my MKII (2550 with me and 1/2 tank of gas) I ran 7.50 in the 1/8. He should be close to that (11.8-11.9??). I live near Thomas and Butch and they tend to frown on us running full track. I got kicked for running 13.2 @ 70 mph (and 7.5 in the 1/8th).
Ed

·
Junior Charter Member
1,223 Posts
Correction... 9.69 @ 140.6 mph... that's more like it.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,054 Posts
OT,(sorry)

Glenn, Have you ran your car @ a drag strip to see how you compare to the 'puter times?

A C Bill,
Too funny!!

Ed,
I hope to run my new motor down in Medford this June. Hope to move up a 'lil in the charts? lol. They let us run a full 1/4mi !!:001_smile: Folks down there really look forward to when Thomas makes a pass or two!:w00t:
hth
Butch

·
Junior Charter Member
1,223 Posts
I haven't been beyond second gear go-carting. My biggest problem is that I don't know how to put smiley faces on my posts! BTW, I think I will be lucky to break into the 11's due to lack of traction. Then be sent home due to lack of good sense.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,054 Posts
Glenn,
If/when you make It to a dragstrip, just take your time & ask folks there for advice. Most times the folks are very helpfull!! First, try "soft" launches & shifts. Then "work" your way up with power & shifting. Very hard to get alot of hp to the ground in our type of cars! Oh, just click on one of the "smiles" next to the "reply"box.:001_smile: I have raced many a high hp cobra over the yrs. & beaten' almost all of 'em with my 282rwhp 5.0 donor motor!:001_smile: Most high hp cars just smoke the tires & don't run fast times with all that hp? Unless they are set-up for drag racing. Just saying---have fun & be safe--
Butch

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nittos

Are those tires 555's or 555r's?

Probably 2-3 tenths just between those : )

My experience with calculators is that they seem to be accurate when the HP is at the wheels and through an auto. When I had my TKO it was way off, put the C4 in, the calculators were right on.

Regardless, you're gonna have fun : )

Tom

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
Just got back allbeit only my second time but here is what I did. Fresh 302, B cam, Thumper Performance heads (worked GT 40's) Ported Explorer Upper and Lower, NO Supercharger N/A, R-1's heated up

Calculator says if I had 325 Hp 11.5 @ 118.5 Way faster than actual

I ran 6 passes best 12.898 @ 108, most 13.2s @ 106

·
Registered
54 Posts
Low 12's at around 114 based on what you stated.

Just got back allbeit only my second time but here is what I did. Fresh 302, B cam, Thumper Performance heads (worked GT 40's) Ported Explorer Upper and Lower, NO Supercharger N/A, R-1's heated up

Calculator says if I had 325 Hp 11.5 @ 118.5 Way faster than actual

I ran 6 passes best 12.898 @ 108, most 13.2s @ 106
I played with the calculator and it appears to go off rwhp, and with your engine, I'd guess 260rwhp at around 2600lb race weight, it lists a 108 trap. This is also assuming the calculator is using good da.

·
Registered
120 Posts
How were your 60 ft? Leaving is 1/2 the race. I have some ET Streets that were great (2000 miles ago) that made leaving better. Your R1's do they hold you at launch? One of our local guys runs very low 10's on MT ET streets.
Enjoy the ride!

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
First drag racing isn't a priority as I have a stock T5 so hard launch not so much. I spin a little on aggressive launch my 60' times went from 1.973 to 2.2 once I hit 2nd, pretty much right away, they stick really well through 4th. Unlike my Sumi's on the street still loose into 3rd:001_smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts