Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but there's only one way to fit it in there.
I tried and tried different ways (all alone) to put the whole thing and it wouldn't go in, the only way I was able to install it was to remove the back cover and tried it from the bottom again it wouldn't fit, it is wider (I suppose) that the TBird unit, it goes in thru the side then lift the front of it (and still hits the frame, this without the cover remember?)... then finally fell into place, after that I was able to slide it forward and fit the cover and then slide in back into the rear tabs.
after re-attaching the ABS sensors took the following pics:

another step forward...
Next will be to find a couple of TBird spindles and see if the Cobra halfshafts fit them or if it will be necessary to machine the spindles.

;)

·
4.6 Terminator Trailblazer
1,743 Posts
May the force be with you!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Serg, congratulations getting that diff to fit the frame. I have a couple of spindles and axles you can use.

Karen and I returned yesterday from the Caribbean.

I stopped by the shop and looked at your white body, it is very good and the new hood is the best I have seen from any company. Very light weight including the liner.

I'll call you today and tomorrrow we can pick up your 03 harness for the WIRE DIET.

Roger
949 275 5702 9-3pm PT

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aaron
I have the 31 spline halfshafts, In fact I have a complete 03 Cobra donor, I won't try using the FFR halfshafts after I completely give up on the idea of using everything possible from the 03 SVT donor.
All I need to do is press the bearings, hub from the Cobra into the BARE Tbird spindles and then machine the 31 spline Cobra Halfshafts to proper lenght.
Now, If I was Factory Five, I'd start looking for a manufacturer or supplier of 31 splines halfshafts to use in their kits as many are using the TBird stuff and are getting depleted... there are many guys selling their 03 Cobra IRS units cheaply.
it should be possible for me to machine the 03 halfshafts to proper length.

Buggs and Geek
thanks, rock on !

Larry
I used to bench press a lot, now I'm a weak one. (and I was sweating big time yesterday after several tries).
at first I tried without the floor jack as I tried different ways without success, after 2 hours I was about to give up and cut the tabs off the pumpkin or cut the frame... I finally realized that If I take the cover off it might be easier.

Roger
Thanks and thanks for calling!
hey, please call Armond, even if he's not there talk to his wife !

AJ
I realized that yesterday after putting it in...there's no way to get it out complete once the car is done, either cutting 2 corners of the pumpkin off, cutting the frame or removing one side to remove it will be required to achieve that .

Buggs
I actually was thinking this when I was trying to fit it:

" Ford must hate Factory Five... that's why they made this pumpkin bigger"

:eek:

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
The diff case looks identical to the Lincoln Mark VIII case. Assuming the case is the same and assuming the opening in the Mark III frame is the same, it IS possible to get it in without removing the cover. It took me forever to figure it out. Finally found a post on the forum that described how to do it. Give it a try before you cut off any ears. I would have sworn it was impossible until I tried the following procedure

Slide the diff underneath the car and set it on the cover (pinion pointing straight up). Rotate the diff 90 degrees so that the axle holes are facing to the front and rear of the car. Lift it through the big opening on the bottom of the cage (still takes a bit of cussing, but it does fit). Once its inside the cage, rotate it to the correct orientation.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Sergio, the Tbird, MK VIII, and Cobra thru 2002 share the same part number for the diff case, with some minor differences on the back cover. FFR says that the vendor who makes the custom halfshafts for them can also make one to fit the configuration we need IF the Cobra hubs fit the Tbird knuckles. The alternative, which is finding a 31 spline inner CV joint that also fits the Tbird shaft, is a dead end, one which I've spent lots of time on. The 2004 Explorer, that uses a 31 spline 3.73 tracion lock unit, has a very different case, but the innards fit into the MK VIII case. Since I have a brand new Explorer unit and an empty MK VIII case, I'm keenly interested in your findings. Let me know if I can help with part numbers or Ford parts printouts.

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forrest
thanks, yes I got a few cuts and bruises and my muscles hurt.... what a workout!
Actually, after I removed the cover and was trying to push the pumpkin into place it slipped from the jack and my little finger got a pretty good cut for the ring gears, they are sharp.

Joe
My intentions again is to use only the BARE TBird spindle and install the Cobra bearings along with the 31 spline Cobra Hub (maybe the 03 Cobra rear end is different in dimensions from the previous Cobras?) into the Tbird BARE spindle, I'm hoping it (Tbird spindle) does not need to be machined to accomodate the Cobra stuff.

anyways, we'll see what happens when the time comes....

Arachnyd
Now we are talking! that would make installing/removing the pumpkin a breeze!

·
Really Senior Member
540 Posts
Sergio,
I just put my pumpkin in today and the only question I have of you is if the FFR supplied bolts for the front mounts were long enough? The ones I have were only long enough for about 3 or 4 threads of the nyloc nut to go over. How long were your bolts?
Doug

·
Really Senior Member
540 Posts
Serg,
They were in my box 11 with the rest of the IRS hardware, but the MK III boxes are probably different. They were packaged with the front quad shock mounting bolts. Kinda strange packaging if you ask me. The instructions for the IRS says to use a washer on the top of the bushings, but they didn't supply those. Go figure. My stock bolts were way too long to use.
Doug

1 - 20 of 25 Posts