Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got everything together yesterday after having to replace my distributor that took a crap. Got the Holley hyper spark set up with the box and the coil. Had to do a bunch of rewiring to make that all work. After first start up I realized the tach had to be wired into the hyper spark system too. After that the system seemed to work good. Did a few cycles to burn off the header and engine paint. Today the rubber bumpers for the coil adapter plate I made came.
Since I don’t have a lot of room behind the dash I needed to repurpose the space I had from the old coil.

So I re used the mounting holes in the fire wall into the adapter plate. Then mounted the coil.
Got the car off the jacks and started her up to get her outside

Completely dusty and dirty but I had to go for a drive. First went up and down our street to make sure nothing would come off, loose and the brakes worked. Then went for a drive and got my first wave and thumbs up from a dad with a little kid.
After dinner I took my daughter for a quick spin.

She did a little video while I drove. That’s the sunset over lake Sebago. Right after she quit videoing there was a state trooper on the side of the road. Even though I wasn’t speeding you get that feeling of oh crap, but he stayed put.

A good day today!

John

·
Registered
934 Posts
John - Car looks amazing. :cool:

Plus the drive with your daughter as the sun was setting sounds like a good day indeed.

Enjoy, Paul. :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Congratulations John!!! Looks fantastic! It’s been a long time coming... feels so good when you finally drive it. You did an amazing job. The engine didn’t sound too loud in the video; I’m trying to remember if you did something special to the exhaust, or is that just the phone’s mic didn’t pick it up?

I had a similar cop story on one of my first drives, coming back from my safety inspection. I was in the far right lane and the cop car was way ahead of me in the far left lane, but slowed right down so I’d have to pass him on the right. I tried to pretend not to notice him, until he gave me a little siren burst. “Ah, crap“ I thought, but when I looked over at him, it was two young cops, both giving me the thumbs up. Phew!

Reactions: John Dol

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John, the exhaust are the stock FFR pipes. I was cruising in fifth gear so it wasn’t as bad but it is not easy to have conversation. That said I still need to put weather stripping in the doors, and it seems like a good idea to close the quarter window openings so will have to do a search on that.

John

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John - Car looks amazing. :cool:

Plus the drive with your daughter as the sun was setting sounds like a good day indeed.

Enjoy, Paul. :)
Thanks Paul!

·
Registered
115 Posts
John
Congratulations on getting back on the road. Never fun taking steps back. Car looks great and sounded good on your video.
Jim

·
Registered
587 Posts
... and it seems like a good idea to close the quarter window openings so will have to do a search on that.

John
Yeah, I found that too. The constant buffeting was hard on the left ear, and it also got pretty cold in the fall. So I built some plexiglass windows for them and built a passage to redirect the air down to the rear brakes Instead. However, after that I feel that there is a lack of fresh air in the car, so am thinking of redirecting those passages again, to bring some fresh air into the interior somewhere.
E7D44641-341A-4FD9-88A3-F4A3748A1DD4.jpeg

·
Registered
361 Posts
That hadda feel good!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I found that too. The constant buffeting was hard on the left ear, and it also got pretty cold in the fall. So I built some plexiglass windows for them and built a passage to redirect the air down to the rear brakes Instead. However, after that I feel that there is a lack of fresh air in the car, so am thinking of redirecting those passages again, to bring some fresh air into the interior somewhere.
View attachment 358819 View attachment 358819
Another thing to add to the list:rolleyes:.
I think I want to either hinge them or make them removable.

John

·
Senior Charter Member
879 Posts
Russ Thompson makes hinged rear windows that work well.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Russ Thompson makes hinged rear windows that work well.
My driver vs passenger side door windows are not the same so I need to make something for this car. Had to cut and reweld the passenger side frame to make it all work. I'm in the process now, but I'm away for the next few days so will update when finished.

John

·
Registered
587 Posts
Glad to see it back on the road John (y) That had to feel amazing after the set backs. Happy cruises coming up for you :)

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts