Looking for a local Cobra - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a local Cobra

Hi all,

I am not new to kit cars, but I am new to the idea of getting a Cobra. At first I was going to build one, but am not above the idea of buying a completed kit. I am looking for a sane road driver. Something well under 400hp and be able to drive on our public roads. I am not looking for a track car. If you see or hear of a local sale, please let me know.

Shane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:45 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Question

where is "local"?

RCR GT 40, 347 with Eight Stack Injection system with 0 miles
1966 Ford Fairlane GT 2 door hardtop with 390 5 speed.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 AM
Junior Charter Member

NOR CAL is an area the size of 4 states. What is Local for you ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWIGHT View Post
where is "local"?
He's posting in the NorCal Section so I would assume NorCal.

Would you consider any Cali Car or are you looking for something in NorCal?

Are you familiar with SB100 and it's impact on your search?

David Hodgkins, AKA CNGreen

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delivered 4/23/06.

. Plates! 1/2010 BatCave! 1/2012.
Featured Roadster, 2012 and 2013 Huntington Beach Cruise-In
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWIGHT View Post
where is "local"?
I am in San Jose, but anything in the state of California is local. I also have no issue looking out of state also. I have the cash and am in no rush to buy.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
\

Are you familiar with SB100 and it's impact on your search?

I am very aware of SB100 and dealing with the California DMV. I daily drove a Sterling through college. I still have the Sterling as you can never sell your first car love. You just cannot get it back. That car is also the only time I looked my wife straight in the eyes and lied. Not a little lie either. This was one of those "I cannot believe I am about to lie so big that even I cannot believe it" kind of lies. We were packing the car up with tools to drive from San Jose to Seattle and she asked, "will the car make it?". On a side note, Grants Pass is a beautiful place to spontaneously stop. Oh, they have have local VW junk yard too.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:00 PM

Shane;
Whats your budget?

John
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

I am looking to spend $20-30k. I am looking for a cruiser for the weekends. I have no plans on racing so I do not need super high HP.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:56 PM
BS
FFCars Captain

Something about that statement sounds vaguely familiar......

Built an original style CSX 427SC frame/body car with Carbon fiber body, 393W stroker, T5 (for now), T-bird IRS w/3.27 gears, dual roll bars, and lots of decisions yet to make.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

I found a Cobra. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive. When I told my 11 year old daughter the good news, she let me know, "No matter what Cobra you get Daddy, mine will be faster." Somehow, I am totally good with this.

See you at one of the breakfast meet ups sometime.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 01:18 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Cool

Mine has 530 HP and I drive it with no problem on street driving exclusively. I think you are missing the whole point of a cobra by asking for it to be well under 400 HP. Mine is a small block 351 stroked to 408. It is the best of both worlds. Handles like a small block, but has the sound and torque of a big block. I have upgraded almost everything, so it is comfortable with IRS suspension, and handles well with the addition of adjustable heavy duty sway bars front and back, plus way bigger 4 wheel disc brakes for superior stopping power. It runs on pump gas, and gets pretty good mileage. I think you will be disappointed with a 302, as it is just not the same as a car with a stroked 351. Mine is for sale, but it is probably out of your price range. It cist me $59,000 to build, so it is not a $30K car. But if you want the best, you have to pay for it. And mine is also SB100, with a carbureted engine and a Tremec 5 speed. It has a long, long list of upgrades, and only has 2500 miles.

FFR #4984 408 Stroker Roller, Victor Jr. Heads and Intake, Holly 750, IRS, Cobra R Brakes, 3550 Trans

\"All it takes for Evil to succeed; is for good men to do nothing"

Last edited by Mike in CA; 11-12-2016 at 01:26 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for thinking of me Mike. You car looks like a great one. I have had my Cobra for two weeks now and am loving it. It also helps that I live rural and have to drive a twisty road everyday. Good luck selling your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement