Resale - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Resale

I know everyone says these are passion projects, but what do they resell for? I want to do this project to see if I can do it, and of course, the labor would be free, but what could these sell for on the market? I have seen some as high as $65K...but I don't know if that's just asking price or legit price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:24 PM

The most I have ever sold for is $45,000.00 for an all new car. I buy some abandoned projects and finish them. Hard to make money at these if you buy all new.
Mike

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

ha. hey Mike! I'm Paul...we spoke on the phone last week about you buying my kit from me. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Yes Paul. Good talking to you.
Mike
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:04 AM
FFCars Captain

The build content (engine, trans, suspension, brakes, paint, etc.), condition, and build quality for these varies widely. So there's no single answer to your question. That $65K number means nothing without more context. A high option, high quality, all new build will sell for the highest price. But not easy to get your money out for just the parts. In fact pretty unlikely that you will if you're buying all new as Mike said. A simple, low cost, donor build probably has the best chance to get the investment back out. Plus there are more buyers in that price range.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I figured a donor car may do best. I am starting to realize that this is not the build for me to do personally, but someone else may be able to build it for me and make it a fun car for me to own and keep in the garage for a few years. I just want to make sure it's something I will enjoy driving.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:15 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Somewhere out there is an owner for every previous SEMA car and I can't imagine what they are worth, but the most expensive used one I know about was FFR5815. I think the used price was about $60K with a couple of thousand miles on the odometer. This car had this absurd custom-mixed purple paint with a zillion coats of clear, perfectly bent stainless steel brake lines, a real, dash-mounted grab bar, polished everything in the engine bay, ABS, and heavily modified footboxes which included re-located pedals for a very tall driver. I don't remember the engine, but it had an A/T.

Most people seem to spend $35-50K building their car and are lucky to get in the low $30K's with some miles on the odometer.

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post

Most people seem to spend $35-50K building their car and are lucky to get in the low $30K's with some miles on the odometer.
Before I start, YES, you should build the car. The experience of starting with boxes and parts to a driving car is worth it. It will have some challenges (like life), but getting though them was a growing event for me. With that said, I am on my forth kit where I had $10-30k more invested in the car than it was worth at the end. (For my last kit I finally learned and picked up a Cobra for $30k with $50k in recites.) But, if I did not build a kit, I would not have known to look for when buying my last Cobra.

I can tell you a secret. If you do not want to lose money, then do not track your spending. I keep detailed records and spreadsheets on all of my cars. I have had those WTF moments when I ask myself is it worth it. I mean you can get some great used cars for $40k now days. I know it was worth it when I drive up to a bunch of super fast cars and the Cobra stands out. Plus, my hands are the ones that wrench this car and I have the divots on the knuckles to prove it. VS, taking the car to the dealership or over priced mechanic.

My last thought is that it is better to have only a "300hp" running / driving Cobra than a 500hp+ monster in parts in the garage.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgabrail View Post
Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I figured a donor car may do best. I am starting to realize that this is not the build for me to do personally, but someone else may be able to build it for me and make it a fun car for me to own and keep in the garage for a few years. I just want to make sure it's something I will enjoy driving.

Or there's the option to get some help ... either with a few build parties of other FFR people, or professionally with someone like Mark, that will build with your help at your home

Specializing in building replica kit cars - Traveling Builder

Then you have both, the build experience (with help) and a cool car to drive
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:02 PM
FFCars Craftsman

As mentioned, for most of us it was never about resale. I put way more into mine that I would ever get if I sold, but I have no regrets.

To answer your question, Cobra Country has a steady stream of replicas for sale:

https://www.cobracountry.com/cobras-for-sale/

Build School 10/08
MK3 Kit Ordered 08/05/08 ; Delivered 09/26/08
First Start 10/05/10 ; First Drive 08/31/11, License Plates 10/05/11
Picked up from the Batcave 10/19/13

Levy Stage 4 (347) & Levy T5 /Mass-flo EFI / Wilwood Brakes / Paint by J. Miller (Lexus Indigo Ink) / Custom hood louvers with aluminum plating by Metal-Morphous / Engine turned dash bezels.

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do." -- Henry Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement