Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Salvage Gen-I GTM at Copart SA Today

8K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  RR46 
#1 ·
Noticed a GTM mis-listed as a 2006 Ford GT on Copart this weekend so I made the trek over to San Antonio to check it out. It was a Gen-1 with a 2001 LS1 and G50. Front Passenger side collision broke the upper A-Arm and pushed the wheel into the passenger footwell. Needed the frame around the footwell replaced, new A-Arm, and serious fiberglass work on the front clip, or a replacement clip. Also needed a little fiberglass work on the passenger scoop and rear quarter. All the electronics worked including the door popper, but it wouldn't turn over (maybe a hidden kill switch or a bad neutral lock-out).

I put a bid in on it, but it went all the way to $22K, which was more than I had in the budget for an unplanned project.

Anyone here the winner? I hope someone didn't buy it site unseen thinking they got a quarter million dollar Ford GT for a bargain price.

https://www.copart.com/lot/31697458

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, they really misled people on that ad. They even said it had an auto box..

If someone bought it sight-unseen thinking they were getting a ford? Expect that car to come back online at copart real soon i reckon. I would assume Copart would have a nasty return shipping bill too.

I get trying to return something just because you dont like it, yea, you probably cant get away with that. But this ad is COMPLETELY wrong in every which way except for mileage. So i reckon the buyer could probably get their money back on this should they not be happy with it.

#3 ·
Now they are calling it a Ford Shelby GT350.

#19 · (Edited)
When I saw this for sale I jumped on it after appr 0.02s hesitation.

It appears that cob427sc built it (GTM #82). Not clear to me yet if it was still owned by him or someone else prior to it ending up with the insurance company/auction.

Does anyone here know more about this car? Would love to find some more anecdotes or photos from the car’s living past (beyond the curious auction transactions). Hoping some photos and good stories are out there from years of cruises and car meets.

The car is on the way to CA for repairs as we speak, very much looking forward to that and to upgrading it as mentioned by Richard!

#6 ·
Love to see the persons face when this is delivered to them if they think they are getting a Ford GT. OTOH the damage looks light and $22k is probably still a good deal if they have some fab abilities. Even if they don't want it, they could likely fix it and turn a small profit on it.

#7 ·
I was considering it at 12-15K, could have had a nice car for myself or made some decent money on a flip, but $22k seemed too steep for me.

I was definitely the only person to look at it. There was 3” of undisturbed dust on it when I arrived.

#14 ·
I tried to use the Buy It Now option yesterday, but I wasn't eligible. Whoever bought it last looks to have repaired the broken suspension and re-titled it, so it was being sold as rebranded and required a dealer license to purchase. By time I got signed up with a broker and got the necessary deposits made, someone else had already bought it. Guess it really wasn't meant to be for me.

#26 · (Edited)
To start off, Richard has done A LOT more than lend a hand on this one! So even though racing, travel and kids have limited my number of days and nights available to go enjoy this GTM rebuild, magically this car is basically only a brake bleed (and zipties to hold harnesses) from a gocart test drive. Result: Chassis is straight as an arrow, majority of the permanent sheet metal is on, learned-through-racing coolant system re-engineering complete and tested.

Continuing the story in this rebuild thread:
https://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fa...-gtm-82-rebuild-w-experience-10-year-old.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.