FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Shark92651's MK4 Coyote Build #9327
View Single Post
post #99 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
shark92651

Garage
Dash test-fit and issue with Russ Thompson turn signal

Today I test-fitted my completed dash for the first time. For my hidden fasteners I used some aluminum angle on the back and put rivnuts on the bottom of the dash hoop in 4 places. Once the dash was covered in pad and leather, and the Russ Thompson trim ring put in place, of course it caused the dash to move a little on me so the holes in my brackets didn't quite line up anymore. I just opened them up a bit with a rat-tail file in the correct direction and was able to get the bolts screwed in easily enough. The last thing I want to do is have one of those bolts bind up and spin a rivnut!

I then test-fitted the Russ Thompson turn signal unit and I think I have a problem. Russ had to modify his mounting system to get it to work with the latest changes to the MK4 frame and he mentioned that there could be an issue and that I may need a longer tube, which he can machine for me. Looks like I am going to have to bring this post to his attention and take him up on his offer. It was probably fine before I added the pad, leather, and trim ring but now it looks like I need about a 3/8" longer tube to get it to work properly. The set screw that secures the hub to the tube is barely making contact with the main tube.

The whole hub kind of comes out at an angle from the dash, but I think that is normal for these cars.

Here you can see that turn turned down end of the tube is about 1/4" from the dash aluminum.

And here you can see the biggest issue that the set screw is not making good contact with the tube in it's current mounting location and length.

MK4 Coyote Roadster #9327

Last edited by shark92651; 09-22-2018 at 04:36 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome

Welcome to FFCars! The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the FFCars.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by FFCars.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company for any purpose. "FFR", "Factory Five", "Factory Five Racing", and the Factory Five Racing logo are registered trademarks of Factory Five Racing, Inc. FFCars.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting the FFCars.com Forum dedicated to Factory Five.