Factory Five Racing Forum banner

My LS powered Roadster

12K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Mountain-Metalworks 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been building this car since June 2017. I just got it titled and licensed. The engine is an aluminum block LS1 from a C5 corvette. I installed a GM hot cam, Holley Sniper intake and throttle body. I used corvette spaced accesories, including the corvette power steering pump. I had to change to a smaller power steering pulley to clear the steering shaft. I used fox body mustang conversion mounts to easily bolt the LS into the FFR frame mounts with no welding. I did have to add 1/2 inch spacer so that the holley oil pan would be above the frame rails. I had enough room to mount a full size Optima battery in front of the crank pulley. I connected a GM spec TKO600, using a FFR driveshaft to a 2015 IRS. I am using Silverado headers pointing forward to connect to custom undercar exhaust. The car is tuned with HP Tuners with no MAF.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice job. The LS engines are absolutely killer. IMO, it is the best street engine out there. Makes a great race motor, too.

#3 ·
Here is a side photo to show the undercar exhaust. This was done with spintech oval pipe and square mufflers. I have 3.75 inch clearance at the lowest point of exhaust, with the frame sitting at 4 inches. I have no heat issues with the mufflers under the seats. I do have insulation on the inside of the floor.

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks Bob. I agree. I love the LS engines and have had them in a few Corvettes. It is a nice compact, light weight engine and makes plenty of power for an FFR. I may still put a Vortech supercharger on this one, but the power already seems plenty sufficient for this car.

#5 ·
I may still put a Vortech supercharger on this one, but the power already seems plenty sufficient for this car.
Ha HA, that's a good one. There's no such thing as too much power, only not enough control.

#6 · (Edited)
LS powered Cobra replicas are quite common here in Australia. The LS was used to power V8 optioned Holden cars and they are plentiful and cheap on the second hand market. My good old mate and fellow FFR builder put one in his Mark 3 roadster. It sounds and goes great. It might sound silly, but I really like the noise of the starter motor - When it is winding over, it definitely sounds like big things are about to happen. Whereas my Coyote starter motor is more akin to a 4 cylinder car ?.
Also the LS fits nicely into the engine bay. If I had put an extra coat of paint on my foot box panels, I doubt whether my Coyote would have fitted.

I do get some good mileage from winding up my old mate reminding him that you put a Ford in a Ford.

Cheers Nigel in South Oz

#7 ·
Kudos on the LS!

Awesome choice on the LS motor! I'm clearly biased after putting an LS3 into my MKIV. It makes for a nice clean instill if you can hide the coil packs or move them like I did. Nice job on the under car exhaust as well. With limited to no options for off-the-shelf headers I decided to just make my own which turned out nice and keeps the sidepipe "look". Which is pretty irrelevant after putting a GM LS into a Roadster, but that's beside the point! :)

As for the power comments, my issue is more about getting power to the ground, not a shortage of power from the engine. I'm sure you'll feel the same. A super-charger? Not sure what you're already pushing, I'm about 575hp at the flywheel, and can't even come CLOSE to using the skinny pedal to the fullest. And I'm living at ~6500 ft above sea level(Albuquerque) where you're losing significant power.

Old pic here, I've been registered and driving for a couple years now...

#9 ·
Hey Matthew, I know you're asking the OP your question about the spacers, but I'm a fellow LS MKIV builder. In the end I custom built my own LS mounts, but I have a set of BRP Hotrods LS mounts for a Fox Mustang to LS that I never used if you're interested.
Font Gadget Cable Electronic device Audio equipment

They retail for $300, how about $150? They've never even been installed.
Anyhow, sorry to hijack your question, and good luck with the LS install. I absolutely LOVE mine. Crazy power, flat torque curve, great rumbling idle with ASA cam, etc.... You'll drool every time you sit for a drive.

-TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.