My Drivers Foot Box Mod - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Did my driver side foot box mod last night. Kind of a modified Feddersen approach.

First the existing fold is reversed and then the other to folds are made. The new folds extend from the same point at the top as the original bend down to the two lower corners. If done like this the front, top and rear attachment points will stay exactly as they were intended. All of the rivet holes and screws still lined up the same after the mod. Only a small amount had to be trimmed off the lower edge to clear the 4" frame tube.

The ruler shows approximately where the original position was.

If you have a larger engine you can check if this mod will work by running a string from the top bend point to the front lower corner (forward red line in the fifth picture). If the headers, etc. are forward of this line then the mod would work since the position of this portion of the wall is unchanged.

Cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 12:38 AM
USAF Lifer (Retired)
FFCars Craftsman

How do you plan on sealing the bottom edge?

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered charged the fields of Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets, they fought like Scotsman and won their freedom"
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 12:52 AM

Excellent! Thanks for posting the photos! This makes it very clear.

Forrest

Former Owner/Builder FFR 2433
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Moderator Ad Nauseum

Great mod Rod!
Looks very easy. Looks like one of those builder-inspired mods FFR should adopt for future kits.

Anything that gets more foot-room is good.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Donald Rogus
3733k Stock 5.0, 3:55 gears, 15" Halibrands, '91 donor, Tremec 3550. "Arrest Me" Yellow / Black Stripes.

My car: a lightweight, precision-guided, sledgehammer.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Tim, I'll make up a 90° filler piece that will go from the 4" tube over to the wall. The upright leg will follow the angle of the wall. That, and a bit of silicone, will seal it right up. I'll post a pic once I've made it up.

Forrest, thanks!

Cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Naga, I don't know if this will work with a big block or Mod engine. Perhaps Sergio could do the check I describe and let us know if it would work on the Mods. FFR might be able to supply it with different bends depending on what engine you plan to use since that part (nor any others) does not change shape or attachments. All that would be left is a little trimming if you got this version and a template would be easy enough to make.

Thanks and cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:20 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thumbs down

As the emoticon is titled "EEK!"

Why don't you just make a new side piece that follows the brace all the way to the firewall?

(my first negative post)

Still spending...

License plate \"HAR2(hand)DL\"
Mods out the butt
Kit arrived on 6/10/05
Paint done 3/27/06

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

A few reasons:

1. It would require a lot more work and fitting.

2. It would require $'s not only for the aluminium but also my time to run out and get it.

3. My feet are not that big.

4. This way there is a chance (won't know unless someone checks) that the BB and Mod guys could also do it.

5. Because I could.

Cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 02:18 AM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Craftsman

"Because I could"

the other four don't count!

Good answer , Rod

The Leader of the Opposition and Minister of Finance says it won\'t happen till house reno\'s are done .. 2008 maybe! Damn!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Tim, here are the pics of the piece to fill the gap. I cut off the small extension on the floor panel. I won't final fit/drill it until all the other panels are riveted in place. Will also make a small piece to fill in the small remaining gap at the rear.

Cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 11:28 AM

Very good Rod! and by the way, that is the longest ratchet extension I have ever seen....any longer and you could build from the living room!

Chuck

Build Gallery:

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 12:14 PM

Very interesting.

Shep
Qualified old guy. Dad of Willspeed. 89 Donor.Mk. III IRS, 302,equal length headers, 65 mm throttle body 77 mm MAF,Kenne Bell Supercharger,Levy bump steer kit & Koni Shocks.Finish line nudge bars, Cobra Earl Trunk, FFMetal batbox and footbox,APE hardtop, Vintage A/C, Lucas windscreen washer. Detailed, painted, graduated. Driving, adding stuff.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:15 PM
FFCobra Master Craftsman
FFCars Craftsman

Excellent.

Nice work. and as everyone can see, it doesn't always have to be expensive.

I have a MKII, are those foot boxes actually wider than MKIII?

Olivier

FFR 5146, Ford 302, 3-link, 3.55s, E303 cam, AFR165 heads, 1.6 roller rockers, MASS-FLO system
Viper grey with silver stripes, on the road since 4/05
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Chuck, that's nothing, changed the tranny on a buddy's MPV last year and we had about 5 feet of extensions to get the bolts at the top of the tranny. Took one of us to feed it up and the other to guide it onto the bolts. He couldn't believe I actually had all those extensions. Thanks!

Olivier, I know that for the Mark III they had to narrow down the foot box to make room for the Mod engines. I am not sure exactly where the Mark II panel went though but it was wider.

Cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 11:36 PM
USAF Lifer (Retired)
FFCars Craftsman

Awesome Mod Rod! definately needs to go to handy posts

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered charged the fields of Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets, they fought like Scotsman and won their freedom"
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 01:38 AM
SuperCobra 1

Nice Modification...

But...this won't work with the Modular Engines, especially the DOHC.
the engine is 1/4" from the aluminum as it is...

driver's side:

Pass side:

Might work with the BBs....

SuperCobra 1

|
|
|