New 67 Dynacorn Project - Page 4 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 2Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Just about finished with the brackets for the Contour fans, I used 1Ĺ" aluminum angle and flat strips for the mounting brackets and right now they are all held together with stainless bolts. I may try out my spool gun and weld some of the aluminum together but need to practice a little on something else before I screw it all up.

I got this drain plug/zinc anode from RotoMetals.com They supply the anodes that Amazon sells, but at about Ĺ the price. If you get one, be sure and check the length, I had to cut about a half inch off the length so that it wouldn't bottom out in the radiator.

This is a Maier Racing close fit bumper. If I had known how it mounts, I never would have bought it. It mounts by those long screws in the upper edge, and has this funky half moon shaped cutout on the top edge, I have to assume is for gas cap clearance. If I had all known this, I wouldn't have bought it. I'm going to fab some mounts that will bolt up to the stock locations. The white card stock is the beginning of a pattern for the brackets.

John

Dynacorn '67 Fastback, Dart 363, Magnum 6 speed, 3.7 ratio 9", Eaton Truetrac. E STOPP electronic parking brake. It's in pieces but will be together, sometime.
'14 Taurus SHO. Most all the bells and whistles. F-150 SCab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Rear Bumper brackets

Got them made this week after a bunch of trial and error. They are made from .125 6061-0 aluminum, bent to conform to the inside of the Maier bumper. I used the 6061-0 because it's much easier to bend and the T4 and T6 temper is almost impossible bend and end up with a crisp line. They will be bonded to the inside of the bumper with some 3M panel bonding adhesive. The area with all the holes is so the adhesive will have more surface to grip. right now, I'm using some 1/2" all-thread to bolt the bracket to the body, and when I get the spacing worked out I'll switch to bolts

John

Dynacorn '67 Fastback, Dart 363, Magnum 6 speed, 3.7 ratio 9", Eaton Truetrac. E STOPP electronic parking brake. It's in pieces but will be together, sometime.

Last edited by J Persons; 09-09-2017 at 10:19 PM.
post #93 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

E Stopp Electronic Parking Brake

The actuator is pretty long and can be tricky finding a place to mount it. I've seen them mounted in the trunk but that puts a bind on the e brake cables. I've also seen them mounted under the floor in the driveshaft tunnel, but I was concerned about driveshaft clearance since I'm using a 3.5" dia driveshaft. After seeing some photos of the actuator mounted adjacent to the subframe connectors, I decided to do that. The mount is made from 1/8" mild steel and welded to the left subframe connector. There is also a cable connector that I made a bolt-in mount for. The actuator is sandwiched between the bottom of the floor and the bracket. If I get any vibration or flex, I can always add a bolt in bracket from the mount to the floor.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

A little Dusting and Cleaning

Dustless Blasting came by the house yesterday, did the engine compartment, underside and the floor. There is no cloud of dust with this stuff and the price was also reasonable. The Blast media is inert and requires no special respirator like sand does. After clean up I sprayed the bare metal with Ospho. I'm going to use some SPI epoxy primer on the affected areas after the Ospho dries. I'll have to neutralize the Ospho, I'll pressure wash the Ospho and use some Dawn dish wash as the first step in preparing it for paint. It may take awhile to clean it all up, I'm still getting blast media out of all the little nooks and crannies.

John

post #95 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 06:33 PM
FFCobra Captain

You already had rust forming on the car?

Just wondering why you needed a pretty much new sheet metal shell blasted at all.

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
post #96 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
You already had rust forming on the car?

Just wondering why you needed a pretty much new sheet metal shell blasted at all.
The whole body was covered in silver weld through primer, and I wanted to remove it so that I could shoot some SPI epoxy. I had him blast the underside, engine compartment and floor. I originally told him to just blast the underside and the engine compartment, and he decided to do the floor at no extra cost. I think because it was on the rotisserie and he didn't have to lay down to get the bottom blasted. He used 5 bags of media and it took him about 3 hours. The outside of the body will be hand and DA sanded.

John

post #97 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 02:23 AM

Be careful using SS bolts on aluminum. Most people think this is a good idea but 300 Series SS next to aluminum is highly galvanic and can quickly corrode. You are actually better off to use zinc plated steel fasteners. Just keep a close eye on your rad mounts. Cadmium plated fasteners are actually the best but they are hard to find nowadays because of the environmental issues with Cadmium.

Nice build. After I retired I spent a winter (they last forever here) putting together a build book for a 67 Mustang Fastback restomod. It was an eyeopener and ended up priced at $100k just for parts. The plan used all new parts: Dyncorn body; Ford Motorsport BB with Accel FI; T56; Heidt IFS and IRS; Wilwood brakes; Dakota Digital retro dash; etc. I figured it would cost about $150k with me doing all the work except for the paint. Knew that unless I won the lottery it was way beyond my budget. Now I'm looking at building a FFR 33HR.
post #98 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

All my stainless fasteners get a liberal coating of anti seize when they are assembled. When I built my FFR, I used all stainless rivets instead of the aluminum ones, those were all covered with silicone to prevent any moisture from contacting them and contributing to corrosion between the dissimilar metals. I was not impressed with the strength of the aluminum rivets that came with the kit.

John

post #99 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Back to work after the winter hibernation. Started sanding the floor and the bottom side after neutralizing the Ospho. The process is to apply more Ospho and wait about 5 minutes, them wash it off with water. I used my pressure washer and could see the Ospho actuially being washed away. After the wash, I used a leaf blower to dry the bare metal. Then I started on it with a DA using 80 grit paper. I did about 2 or 3 square feet at a time, because I wanted to stay ahead of any surface rust. After I finish this, I'll wipe it all down with some SPI wax and grease remover then spray on the the SPI epoxy. I still have to prep the engine compartment before I'm ready to spray. I learned after the first day to always wear a face shield and a dust mask when working with Ospho.

John

post #100 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:01 AM

This thing looks good. Nice work

There is a difference...an American made difference!
post #101 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

A little update. Test fitted the Modern Drive Line Hydraulic clutch master cylinder, and saw that the firewall was deflecting, so I formed up this reinforcement. It's made from 18 gauge steel and it will be glued in with some 3M panel bonding adhesive. It also allowed me to do away with the speedometer cable hole, I'm using an electronic speedo so the hole wasn't needed. I "tipped" the edges of the reinforcement to give it some resistance to bending, tried to flex the panel and it wouldn't budge.

Here is the firewall prior to the panel. The clutch M/C goes into the bottom hole.

This is a test fit of the panel. I will temporally install the clutch M/C prior to bonding.

Also finalized the parking brake cable attachment. It's welded to the sub frame connector.

i hope to have this thing in primer soon, I need to start installing stuff, I have parts everywhere!

John

Last edited by J Persons; 10-25-2018 at 12:31 AM.
post #102 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Fabricating brackets for the KRC power steering pump. The main bracket at the rear of the pump is Ĺ" 6061 T6 aluminum. It connects to a 7/16" stud and a 7/16" bolt in the original factory location. I have some .250 wall aluminum tube to be used as spacers so the pump can be spaced correctly front to rear. I was originally going to use a Ford pump but discovered it is not compatible with the Unisteer rack or the Hydroboost brake booster that I'm using. No one that I know of makes a bracket to bolt in a KRC pump to a Fox type serpentine belt system. The photo is of the rear bracket, which KRC says is sufficient, but I'm going to add a front bracket to provide stability. The front bracket will be in two pieces because of the offset required to mate with the pump mounting holes and the Ford serpentine system. I'm also using a 4" crank pulley, mainly to slow down the KRC pump. The pump develops full boost at 1500 pump RPM and any pump speed beyond that is just wasted power.

John

post #103 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Persons View Post
Fabricating brackets for the KRC power steering pump.
https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...t-driver-side/

Breeze makes one for the drivers side and one for the passenger side. I used it on my 351W Dart block. Well made, and easy fit. I used the same pump you are using.

.boB "Iron Man"
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
HPDE Instructor
FFR 3691K: Dart 427W, Momar 8 Stack EFI, 600'ish hp, TKO, 3.55 TruTrac, Red with Ghost Flames. Gone, but not forgotten.
BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 speed auto, Edelbrock Blower

post #104 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...t-driver-side/

Breeze makes one for the drivers side and one for the passenger side. I used it on my 351W Dart block. Well made, and easy fit. I used the same pump you are using.
I saw that, but think that it may interfere with the A/C mounting bracket. I'm on the home stretch on this mount issue, just have to cut the aluminum tube spacers and I'm done.

John

post #105 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

The spacers are all fitted, I used .250 wall 6061 T6 aluminum tube. Now to blow it all apart for powder coating.

John

post #106 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Got the inside, engine compartment and bottom side primed and painted. I used Kirker Enduro Prime 2K primer, and PPG Omni urethane enamel single stage. The dash will be base coat with a satin clear top coat to cut down on glare and reflections. The outer shell will probably be a base coat clear coat, and contracted out. As soon as this stuff dries, I have some Raptor liner going on the bottom side and Lizard shin heat and sound control going on the inside. Here's some photos.
In primer

Single stage is on.

John

post #107 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

The Raptor Liner is on. I selected the gray tint because it will be top coated with the body color enamel. Raptor liner is normally black but the tint-able version is sort of clear and since my primer is gray, I needed about the same color so that the top coat will come out the same. I sprayed two good coats to insure an even application. If you use this stuff in an enclosed area, be sure you have a good respirator with new filters. It can be some nasty stuff. I set up a cross flow ventilation system using a 5' drum fan blowing the fumes outside. I bought five bottles of Raptor and used only two. So if anyone knows someone that wants to do this, we can make a deal. It goes on easily, just make sure the bottle is screwed on to the gun tight or it will leak. You also need to remove any masking tape within 30 minutes, or the Raptor gets too hard and makes removing the tape difficult. Raptor has the regular gun and a premium. It would be a good idea to get the premium, the regular gun is non adjustable and has a plastic trigger, which doesn't always work well.

John

post #108 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

The Raptor got its top coat this morning.

John

post #109 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Rear brake line and e-brake actuator installed. I ran the brake line a little different than the factory did, I'm using a 3.5" driveshaft and didn't want anything else in the drive shaft tunnel but the driveshaft.

John

post #110 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:39 PM
FFCars Craftsman

John - You've done a great job on the underside of your car, it looks factory fresh.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Cheers, Paul.
post #111 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Left side in place for a test fit. I had to order some longer bolts for the upper coil over mount, I'm using a billet aluminum plate on the top and it's a little thicker than the usual export brace. All in all, Shaun's (StreetorTrack.com) suspension fits like a dream, even in an aftermarket body. The primer is where the rotisserie mounted when the car was painted. It's now sitting on jack stands.

John

post #112 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Engine front dress assembled. I used modified Fox Mustang brackets and a Sanden A/C compressor along with the KRC power steering pump. The PS pump bracket had to be hand fabricated, I couldn't find any commercially that suited my application. I also found a Gates serp belt that fit

John

post #113 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Got the pedal hanger, hydroboost unit, clutch master and linkage installed. The M/C is from a Vette of an unknown year but it's aluminum and the reservoir isn't angled and the outlets are on the fenderwell side, and will mate up with the Wilwood proportioning valve. This was just a test fit, some of it will have to come out when I make up the lines. Had a friend come over to help with all this, since my back is still not well from fitting the 9" rear axle.

John

post #114 of 115 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

The hydroboost system looks great. The system you have is so much more compact than the one I have from Hydratech for the 70 Mustang with Coyote. Although my system fits, the cantilevered approach Hydratech took makes it take up a lot of room with the Wilwood master installed. I am looking forward to seeing the engine in and the hydroboost installed.

Alan

MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, 255/40-17 F 295/35-17 R Kumho XS, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.

New project, 1970 Mustang fastback restomod. Started 10/14/16.

post #115 of 115 (permalink) Old Today, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

This one is a Hydrotech unit, I've had it for awhile before finally installing. I'm using a AC Delco master that I got from Hydrotech, the only problem so far is finding the correct size brake line adapters. The front and rear ports on the M/C are different sizes. I probably should have gone with a Wilwood master, I wouldn't be having problems with the brake line fittings if I had.

John

Last edited by J Persons; Today at 01:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement