Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Converting to automatic

10K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  Woozie30 
#1 ·
We are contemplating changing the transmission to an automatic in Miranda's Carriage. Would you guys mind sharing what we can expect in doing this swap?

Thank you,

Preston

#3 ·
I have a roadster with a manual and one with an automatic. I like them both and both have their place.

Check the width of the transmission you are considering to make sure it fits in the tunnel. Also get some good advice on which stall converter to install considering what engine you have, the weight of the car and the type of driving you want to do.

Regarding the value, I'm not sure the previous comment is accurate.

#24 ·
I have a roadster with a manual and one with an automatic. I like them both and both have their place.

Regarding the value, I'm not sure the previous comment is accurate.
I'm not trying to be smart...but I didn't think it was accurate either, I was thinking $10-$15,000. Not only that, but the amount of people in the Cobra market...very small! The amount of people in the automatic Cobra market...even smaller! it's not a car I'd want to own if I had any type of resale value in mind.

I simply couldn't get around that it would actually cost me to devalue my vehicle!

#4 ·
You'll need a different bell housing, different drive shaft, different gears in rear end, need to fabricate shifter linkage, different spedo cable, and possibly a different starter. Oh yeah, maybe trannie mounts. Doable. Might even be fun....

#21 ·
If you use an AOD you can use the same drive shaft, rear end gears and speedo cable. There are many example of mods necessary to the tranny mount on this forum, basically the mount frame needs to be widened to clear the trans pan. Shifter linkage can be purchased from Lokar. There are some tabs that need to be ground off of the AOD case. You'll need an oil cooler. It's a tight fit for the cooler lines in the trans tunnel, I bought some stock lines for an AOD fox mustang and made little bends to to make them fit. You will need a Lokar TV cable kit and adjsut it properly to make the trans shift properly and have a long and happy life. You will need a new flexplate. I don't know if starters are interchangeable.

And regarding one of the previous comments, if I cared what the car was worth I would have bought a classic something or other. Build you car so you can enjoy it.

Sorry if I repeated anything already stated.

#5 ·
I had an AOD behind a 306 in my MKII, you'll need a new flywheel with the bell housing and starter, the driveshaft for an AOD is the same length as for some of the manual trans. I had to shorten mine to 10.5". Rear gears are use dependent, I started with 3.27 and changed to 3.73. As for the value - the most expensive Cobra ever sold was an Automatic. A little more info would be helpful, version of your FFR, type trans your looking at, i.e. AOD, AODE and your intended uses. I'm sure more will chime in with more info.

#8 ·
Thanks. Still thinking it over. Not worried about value at all. Car will never be sold. Appreciate the comments. Please keep them coming.

#9 ·
To perform an AOD swap you'll be looking at these items at a minimum Preston...

Trans cooler
Cooler lines
Block plate for AOD (that's the plate between block and trans Cobra Dreaming)
164-tooth flexplate (NOT a flywheel) that is balanced for your engine (331 should be 28 oz)
Transmission with torque converter
Transmission insulator/mount
AOD wiring pigtail for NSS (to ensure it starts in P and N only if you care and for backup lights if it has it)
Shifter assembly for trans tunnel with either rod or cable actuated linkage. You can use a stock '66 Mustang C4 shifter (period look like what Carroll did) or use an aftermarket shifter. Since the AOD does not have a 2nd gear detent any three-speed shifter will work (AOD is 1-3-OD on the detents).
Lokar throttle valve cable retrofit for the throttle body/carb so it will shift right.

Of course this is all assuming you want the AOD for the overdrive. You can do the same thing with a C4 three-speed for a little cheaper and the list will be the same except you won't need the throttle valve cable connection and the flexplate and block plate would be for the smaller 157-tooth setup of the C4.

Oh, and don't forget to remove the manual trans pilot bushing in the crankshaft end too! :yes:

HTH...
Mark

#10 ·
The first transmission I had in my roadster was an AOD. I hated it. Swapped in a 4R70W. Loved it! Biggest addition required for a 4R70W is a transmission controller.

BBQLover - I sold my auto equipped roadster for $45K, and shifting with the paddle shifters was a lot of fun and the shifts were almost instant.

Pete

#12 ·
I'll admit that I have never considered an auto trans in a roadster...until I just read "paddle shifters," Pete! I'm intrigued by the idea. I'm not yet sure it's a match for me just, but it's definitely something to think about. (Like there wasn't enough already! :001_rolleyes: ) Any downsides that you experienced?

Thanks!
Shannon

#16 ·
I have an AOD in my cobra and I'm really not sure you'll need a trans cooler. I do have mine running in the standard opening that would normally house the oil cooler. I can run my roadster all day and rarely see temps over 130*. I've heard that the cooler the transmission the longer it'll run, but I'm not really sure it's going to make a measurable difference over the miles that we typically run.

Having a transmission cooler seems like safe insurance, but I doubt we really *need* it for such a light car and minimal miles. Just my 2 cents.

Mark

#17 ·
This is from one of my other threads, it may be of some help. As for owning a roadster with an automatic, I think its great. My AOD has been lighlty modified with some stronger elements and a manual/auto valve body. I have a ratchet shifter which lets me control the shift points if I want to or not. If I recall my torque converter stall is at 2400 (I think...). It shifts almost instantly.

As an update since I had a forum member request some additional photos of this modified A-frame installed, here are some photos of it. Hopefully this might help some others.

In this photo you can clearly see where the cross-member bar was cut in half on the vertical and a piece of 3/4" strap steel was welded in to make clearance for the pan bolts for when it needs to be removed:

This one is zoomed in on the strap steel part, sorry for the blurriness:

#18 ·
I only mentioned the trans cooler, as the FFR radiator does not come with a trans cooler loop in it. If the donor radiator is being used, then by all means plumb the cooler lines through it, but for the FFR aluminum you'll need an external cooler...

HTH...
Mark

#19 ·
I made the switch from T 5 to AOD this year after thinking about it for two years. I absolutely love it. One of the main things I like is all the room in the footbox with the pedal out of the way.

I had to do a lot of the stuff mentioned above. I did install a cooler. I have Tangent's light kit in the lower opening but mounted the cooler behind it. I still need to install a gauge.

I had to re-do the transmission cover since the shifter is way further forward.

I kept all the T5 stuff, including the tranny cover so a guy could switch back easy.

Very happy with the change. I've had a bunch of nay sayers when they see it but a couple of them have driven it before and after and they all LOVE it. I can just roll into the throttle and light 'em up!

Bob:yes:

#20 · (Edited)
Just completed C-4 to duplicate Shelby's favorite ride

C-4 No major cutting frame, fits perfect, drops in like 1965.
See tag line below. Everything delivered to garage door by SUMMIT.
Whole package. Naysayers have never driven PS, PB, AUTOMATIC Cobra!
PM me for real facts no BS. In FL ? Come to Tampa/Clearwater for a ride!
Lets you really enjoy the car! IMHO :wave:

#22 ·
Finally

Finally ready to do this. I have a mark 2 roadster. Appreciate all your thoughts and comments.

Preston

#25 ·
How about a Semi-auto..:smile2:

#33 ·
Ok, but that's not an intellectually honest statement. While you may be right that the Super Snake was an automatic...there's a reason it sold for such a price, in spite, of the automatic. How many Super Snake's were built? Maybe 2!

This vehicle has absolutely no bearing whatsoever in the conversation we're having.

#31 ·
At the time of the original post several years ago, csx3015 had fetched the highest price and it was an automatic. Since then, csx2000 has been sold for a higher price and it was a manual.

That being said, my MKII was an automatic and the insurance company valued it at $42,000 at the time it was wrecked.(way more than it cost me) It was nothing special, daily driver painted by me in my garage. But it was MY car, built the way I wanted it and future resale value was not something I was concerned about. I had no intention of ever selling it.

In the end, it’s your car, build it the way that will work for you.

#35 ·
Go for it......

I am going to tell you build a great AOD ,I broke 4 of them ,harden gears and AODE drum and a silver fox reworked valve body to lock out OD maualy ,It was fast ,engine 347,with 3.27 rearend and had a trans cooler ,blew it up in Cali and towed her home. but for just cruzin ,put in D and go ....I say go for it ,but keep everything ,it's pretty straight forward ,it you can build a cobra this a cake walk ,by the way mine is a MK2 ,I cut the center tube out to remove transmission without taking engine out ,so much easier working on it...I DO LIKE WHITE CARS....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.