emissions inspection fail - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

emissions inspection fail

Ok, this is my first post on this forum. So everyone, be kind.
I live in Upstate NY. I built an Mk4 using a 1996 mustang GT donor. I registered the car two years ago, and it passed inspection the first two years. This year I brought the car to a different garage for an inspection, and it failed. The first two years, the garage did not hook the car up to the OBD port; this year the mechanic did so, and it threw some codes.
I built the car and the engine myself. It is pretty much a stock engine block, which I had round bored before rebuilding with new pistons, rings, bearings, etc. I have a mild "RV" cam in it, which gives a little more low end torque. I'm using stock 1996 EFI. However I am not running cats,EGR, lower O2 sensors or canister. The engine runs great.
I have a BAMA SCT tuner. Does anyone know if there are any "tricks" that can be tuned into the computer so it'll pass? Or is there a way to get a waiver of some sort so I can avoid the emissions inspection altogether? Or can anyone recommend a shop in the Upstate NY area that knows a work around?
When I built the car I was under the impression that homemade cars/hotrods were exempt from the emissions testing. That's my excuse. Retrofitting all those devices is going to be prohibitively expensive, so I don't know what I'll do if I can't get a pass.
Thanks
Joel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:20 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
FFCars Master Craftsman

Joel i remember you posting that you had some drive ability issues a while back and that your close to Albany correct?

Don't walk but RUN away from that shop. They have no idea how to deal with a custom build. YES, you are exempt from the OBD II check, they just don't know how to enter it in the system properly. I just had mine done last month and they said NY has fixed a lot of the bugs in the computer systems so it's recognizes "custom" now and it's not a big deal anymore. I'll post a message to our local email chain to see if there are any cobra friendly shops in the Albany area (the one I go to is a bit out of the way for you)

FFR '33 #78
Picked up 5/30/09

Arrowhead's '33 Hot Rod Build Site:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 07-15-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:26 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
FFCars Master Craftsman

Ok so I reached out to the locals here and so far we have:

Foley’s, Depot Road, Guilderland

Everett Road Auto off of exit five of I90

So you might want to try one of these shops and give another go.

Hope this helps,
George

FFR '33 #78
Picked up 5/30/09

Arrowhead's '33 Hot Rod Build Site:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:46 PM
Cobra Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Joel,

I’m close by, Fieldman’s in East Greenbush/ Rensselaer have inspected mine for close to 10 years. They understand the process and are hot rodders in their own right. LMK if you need anything. Send me a pm if you want to run with other local FFR owner/builders. Good luck!

4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, SAI Mod, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges, Gas-N S/S pipes. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York and get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 40+ members!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

thank you guys so-o-o much. I'll follow up with both shops. My sticker is good through the end of July.
Joel
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

It passed! I just had to bring it to an inspection station that knows the rules regarding kit and homebuilt cars. Thanks to Arrowhead and P Wyman for your referrals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement