2015 Donor Mk4 Roadster w/IRS, First Build - Input Welcome, Many Questions. - Page 7 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 26Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

2015 Donor Mk4 Roadster w/IRS, First Build - Input Welcome, Many Questions.

Pedal box installation time, and this part is spread out over multiple days while other parts of the build interface with it.

The Mounting of the Pedal box is fairly straightforward, 4 bolts with locknuts hold the Front (vehicle Front) Mount in place, and two bolts mount through frame members to secure the rear mount (vehicle rear). The mounts are supposed to mount onto the Pedal Box prior to installation in the DS Footbox, but I installed the Front Mount first, then worked on the Pedal Box assembly. You can still get the pedal box in and out reasonably easily if you havenít put all the sheet metal together at the top of the Footbox.

The F5 instructions are not complete, at least the Wilwood Pedal Box addendum on the F5 website, so some small parts of this are interpolations.

Following the instructions I drilled the holes in the pedal box for the brake and clutch switch mounts, and installed those. Fine tuning on those later, after installation. Installed the pedals on the arms just fine, easy peasy. The Clutch quadrant pieces, however, proved to be a challenge and Iíll have to do more work on that because I know I donít have it right. I believe there are two pieces missing from the way the diagram depicts it being assembled, and the way I currently have it assembled, it canít mechanically capture the clutch cable. Iíll detail that in a later post.

Side note; for me, the Clutch arm switch mount plate position that worked the best is toward the rear of the vehicle, and the brake pedal switch mount plate needed to be on the side of the mount bracket toward the front of the vehicle. I discovered this after installing the Master Cylinders and observing the pedal travel at the desired pedal depth.

Pedal box assembled, it goes in place, ready for mounting MCís and rear mount. It actually mounts below the bracket, I just have it resting on top for the picture.

Rear mounting bracket goes in place, it get two bolts through the frame and we are almost secure.

Master cylinder installation goes pretty smoothly, front and rear cylinders per instructions, I only had to uninstall them one time to adjust the balance bar to the recommended width with respect to the pedal arm. Iím sure Iíll have to adjust it side-to-Side when I get the brakes completed and bled. Locknuts go on, mounting the MCís and holding the rear bracket to the Pedal Box simultaneously.

Fittings go on the MCís and temporarily install the supply lines; Iím going to have to figure out a gasket or gland fitting for bringing those supply hoses into the Footbox. Reservoir mounting will come later.

Clearance is getting pretty slim on that accelerator pedal wiring connection, I hope it still makes it in there by the time the car is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack Donor
5.0L Coyote Engine (Gen2)
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
18" Halibrand w/BFG Rival S
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-01-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

After the Big Brake fitment fiasco I sent the Performance Pack brakes back to Tasca (by the way they are excellent to work with, I highly recommend them. Great customer service) and ordered a Wilwood Kit from Gordon Levy. To match I bought the Wilwood Pedal Box from Michael Emerson out of a F5 kit that heís putting hydro boost in. Both great guys to work with.

After mocking up the brakes to ensure fit per Wilwood assembly instructions I disassembled and started permanent assembly of the rears.

First step is assembly of the Rotors. They come in to separate pieces, the steel rotor and an aluminum hat and must be bolted together precisely. The bolt require red loctite and torquing to 155 in-lbs, NOT ft-lbs. I read that many have snapped these bolts using the wrong torque setting.

The rotors are also directional, and there is an arrow on the rotor itself that point in the direction of normal rotation, which is toward the front end of the car.

Caliper mounting bracket goes on with Red Loctite and torque to 78 ft-lbs. The manual says 77, but my torque wrench only has even value detents.

Two mounting nuts for the calipers tighten down onto the studs at 30 ft-lbs. Removal of the brake pad clips and installation of the brake pads, then visual confirmation that edge of the the brake pad lines up with the edge of the rotor.

The Wilwood set uses a separate parking brake caliper, and itís a cute little thing. Two bolts install with red loctite and torque to 30 ft-lbs.

The pictures are a mix of the right and left side, donít let the orientation fool you.

After installation of the brakes, the 45-degree fittings go in the mounting holes in the back of the calipers and the Flex Line Adaptor Mounting plates mount on the frame. Flex line runs from caliper to adaptor.

Hard lines next.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-02-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #183 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Iím going to seemingly get a little ahead of myself here, but Iíll come back to the Clutch issue. For now I wanted to get the hard brake lines done. Having done a ton of copper line bending in a previous life I have a decent eye for bends and Iím ok with a tubing bender.

Starting with the front line, I came off the PS MC and elbowed up and then along the upper frame rail, as I saw edwardb had done. I trimmed the top piece out with my metal shears, and will fill that in with sealant later. My primary concern is contact line-to-frame. Having 5-foot lengths of brake line forced me to carefully plan the bends to make sure I ended up at the right spot. Not having the Front brakes in place yet nor the flex adaptor mounting plate I have to closely estimate where they will end up. Clecos work in many places. I routed the line down along the splash guard seam area, keeping at least 1Ē away and looped down, then up into the tee where the future flex adaptor will be.

I continued from the tee right into a 120-degree turn and around the frame post. I again took edwardbís route across the front of the X-member across and back up and around the frame post on the other side. A little creative bending and I end up right where I will need to be.

Finished with the routing for now, next step is riveting, and Iíll save tightening the fittings until I have the front brakes in place.

Speaking of; the front rotors are still on back order, so I donít have them in hand yet.

Rear lines to run.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-12-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Now for the rear Brake Lines. Starting at the DS Master Cylinder, I parallel the Front brake line to the front edge of the Footbox where a good mounting flange is, and break away down along the edge

Then I continue down the Footbox, keeping in mind I donít want any way to kick this line while driving the car. You builders with more experience may need to let me know if I have accomplished this goal. I may need to secure it a couple more times on the way across.

Bending this piece is a challenge. You have to temp it in place to see where it is going, then mark with a sharpie so you donít lose your measurements and then free bend it. This one is almost done.

The exit of the Footbox; I drilled behind the accelerator pedal up through the bottom of the Footbox, and had to round the hole out to nearly 1/2Ē to accommodate the flare nut. Turn a couple 90-degree bends, and Iím headed down the 4Ē Frame tube toward the back of the vehicle.

The couplings supplied with the kit allow me to continue down along the frame rail, again I go with 12Ē spacings. When I get to the 2x3 post, I turn a 90 up the rail, and my line stops about 3Ē from the trunk floor frame member.

I tentatively choose this spot to install my tee, but clecos and finger-tight nuts will allow me to change my mind it I want to. As luck would have it, I find the 24Ē piece is the perfect length to make it from the DS flex line adaptor to the tee, just barely. Then I start work on the far side. Eyeballing it I can tell it will be a matter of making one end accommodate a few extra inches of line, and I decide to start at the PS flex adaptor and work my way toward the Tee. I bend the line and after a little finesse-ing of the tube and a 45 and a 120-bend at the Tee end, itís a perfect fit. With the insulated straps installed in key spots, I feel the lines will not contact the frame.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-12-2019 at 05:50 AM.
post #185 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Back to the Clutch Cable Capture Mechanism. It obviously wonít capture the Clutch cable as is, so time to do a little reading forums and understanding how the mechanism works. Rather frustrating that assembling exactly by the manual results in a non-functional mechanism. Slight correction; assembling it as closely to the manual as the parts supplied will allow me to get. One key part missing was the end piece on the driverís side, but I took the corresponding part out of the original kit bag and cut off the unused neutral (I hope) switch arm in order to make it like the diagram. Since the neutral switch is down on the Clutch arm, I donít think I need a second one above.

Iím assuming they sent me almost all the right parts, even if the instructions are wrong, and looking at other build threads I think I can reassemble in a different order to make it work right. Itís just a matter of experimentation to find the right order to make it function correctly. It appears the two keys are first to make sure the Clutch cable lines up within the groove and does not chafe the cable and second, when the cable end is captured correctly and the Clutch pedal is depressed, the cable end does not knock against the Pedal Box top but descends into the hole that looks like it was designed to accept it.

First try, resulting in the cable end hitting the pedal box instead of dropping into the hole...

Skip the Ďspacer platesí over one more large plate and try again ....

Looks right! I think We have a winner.

Now we just have to tighten up the nuts and move on.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-07-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #186 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

ĎOne test is worth a thousand expert opinions.í

I decided to finish up the emergency brakes next. A mock-up shows me I need to bring the sheet metal that surrounds the e-brake handle tighter to the transmission tunnel to avoid the handle rubbing on the metal. Itís time to secure the PS floor. But first I have to tidy the fit up just a little bit.

The edge of the sheet metal that runs along the top of the trans tunnel PS sticks up about 1/4Ē at itís highest point, and I want to have a cap that fits evenly and tight down against the frame rails.

So I mark it with a sharpie for reference but my experience tells me you have to take more than just the line when you cut. So I make a second mark parallel with the original, but about 1/8Ē further, and then proceed to take that line.

Looks much better now, nice and flush.

I go ahead and apply silicone and rivet the PS floor, then let it dry overnight.

Mocking up the e-brake, and since I bought the base kit, the e-brake handle and cables do not come in the kit. I ordered the handle and front cable from Mark at Breeze and the nut clips came with the base kit.

After doing some reading about the different e-brake cables used and the different mounting methods used, I decided to pull the trigger on the cables and bought 2 each of these Driverís Side cables, mostly because they were 3/4Ē longer than the PS. I got these from Auto Zone locally.

I installed the brake handle and the front cable, and mocked up the cables in front, to see generally what the options are for routing.

I didnít want to run the cables under the frame, which is the option that probably functions the best if you only count straight cables, and is the least risky (at least as far as possibly contact with drive train members). I also wanted more securement than just the front set of holes. What I decided to do was round out the upper rear holes so I could thread the cables though and use that as securement.

Enter my trusty Uni-bit, or Step Bit as some might call it. Iíd used this tool for years as an electrician, and I wouldnít go without one in a work vehicle. It makes short work of rounding out the upper holes and things come together nicely.

Hereís the upper hole enlarged.

Fits right through.

Thereís the front section, cables in place and made up to the handle. Yes, the front cable is angled, and Iím not a fan of that. I may end up trying to solve that, but Iíll finish up the rear part of the e-brake for now.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #187 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

The connection at the caliper end of the cable has been something I mulled over for a couple days, mostly based on pictures of other builds. The most common attachment I saw included some sort of Clevis or Cable Connector, so I went searching around town for a connector to bolt to the e-brake caliper arm and capture the end of the brake cable. I finally found a Dorman part that was close and ordered two, costing me $7. Turns out I was wasting that time and effort.

The routing of the cables is just up and looping over the Differential once you get past the rear mount, and then coming alongside the LCA and up into the bottom of the mounts.

The arms on the fastener clips at the end of the cable are too long to fit, and look like they would interfere with the coil spring, so I trim them down just a bit and they fit perfectly.

Now that the cable is in place, the realization hits me that the cable end is too long for any adaptor to fit between it and the caliper arm. Matter of fact, it almost is long enough to slip right into the arm itself ................

Youíre probably way ahead of me.

Yes, the cable is the perfect length to slip right into the arm, and then just use a bolt to span the gap and secure it in place. Iíll end up shopping for a cap-screw-style bolt without threads up some of the shaft, so as not to chafe the cable, and a jam nut.

All that thought, googling, and effort.....

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #188 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

The mounting of the CNC Triple Reservoir is another example of the value of these forums. Iíll go with a piece of angle metal under-mounted to nutserts in the upper frame rail.

My neighbor Travis cut me the piece of angle metal the same length as the Mounts, and I mocked up the setup and marked the hole locations.

After I marked them, Travis drilled the holes with his new metal milling machine. That thing looks versatile and heavy duty. Not to mention expensive.

Now to drill the holes in the frame, install the nutserts and do the final mock-up before cleaning and applying a little POR-15 to the bracket.

Nutsert tool.

Bracket Temp-mounted

Nutserts are very demanding, you have to line up the holes exactly or the bolts just will not thread into them. I ended up having to open up one of the mounting holes to get it to accept them.

Now that itís fitted, Iíll take the bracket back loose, use the cleaner/degreaser, apply the etcher, and give it a couple coats of POR15.

Iíll also be looking for a grommet for the brake lines to insulate the supply lines where they go through the sheet metal.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-08-2019 at 05:48 AM.
post #189 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

The rear wheels have had some play, which has concerned me. After the rear brake and parking brake were finished, I tightened in 3 lug nuts on both sides and took the Axle Nut to 100 ft-lbs. The ending torque value will be 250 ft-lbs, but Iíll wait to tighten it that far until I set the car on the ground.

Tightening this up firmed the wheels right up, thereís no play at all.

Now if only I had the front brakes, I would be this close to a roller!

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #190 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:23 AM

Just a caution on the clutch quadrant plate stack- it's been almost 2 years since I assembled mine but I remember a similar issue- FFR had supplied 3 of the same 'large' plate. The one that goes in the middle (same contours as the 2 larger plates) was not in my parts set. FFR sent one to me upon request.

I don't know if the one of those small plates you are using now in the middle of the stack has the needed radius/contour to effectively release the clutch.

If you are past this, my apologies.

Dave
Gen III Coupe #17

IsaacW thanked this.
post #191 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by taved View Post
Just a caution on the clutch quadrant plate stack- it's been almost 2 years since I assembled mine but I remember a similar issue- FFR had supplied 3 of the same 'large' plate. The one that goes in the middle (same contours as the 2 larger plates) was not in my parts set. FFR sent one to me upon request.

I don't know if the one of those small plates you are using now in the middle of the stack has the needed radius/contour to effectively release the clutch.

If you are past this, my apologies.

Dave

Gen III Coupe #17

I always appreciate words of wisdom, Dave. I am in the same situation that you were in, and taking your experience into account Iíll see if I can get them to send me the smaller plate. I was sent the three larger ones just like you had. What I ended up doing was improvising and taking both the smaller end plates and stacking them in the middle to create the width I assumed was necessary to accommodate the cable. I used a couple of washers underneath the plates to shim the plates tight to the pedal arm, as there was some room. I think it will end up just fine, but Iím leaving that DS footbox open until the body goes on so I can verify everything is functioning before I close it up.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #192 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:36 AM

I had my footbox top cover off today so a I took a picture.

Interestingly, my 2 large outer plates are different thicknesses (like what you have). Somewhere I have a 3rd plate that probably matches one of the two.

In any case, you can probably get an idea of the outer radius of the middle plate- I'd say it's larger than the small outer plate in the picture- and probably has a curve matched to the two outer plates.

Dave
Gen III Coupe #17
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6852.JPG (96.7 KB, 15 views)
IsaacW thanked this.

Last edited by taved; 04-13-2019 at 03:44 AM.
post #193 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:04 AM
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator

Front brake arrived today and will go out Monday
IsaacW thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pro Builder and Go Fast Specialist
99/2000 NASA PSO Champion in a FFR
2005 FFR Challenge West coast Champions
2nd 2005 Nationals
Sponsor for Tony B. ST-2 National Champion 2007
2009 TTC runner up-2010 TTB Runner up
Over 200 Turnkey FFR's in 21 years and still counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #194 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
Front brake arrived today and will go out Monday

Perfect, thanks, Gordon! Looking forward to getting the fronts in.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #195 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Trip to the local hardware store and found a combo of cap screw in 1/4-20. Had to go a little longer than I was looking for to get the smooth collar to the width I wanted it in order to not damage the brake cable with the threads. A jam nut and a lock but might have been overkill. I felt better about that anyway, so I did it.

Assembled together through the e-brake caliper arm end mount point. There is only a slight angle to the head of the cable. I donít think it will make any difference.

After assembling, I checked it for clearance to the wheel, no issue. E-brake 99% complete. Checked for operation of the e-brake, works nicely.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #196 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by taved View Post
I had my footbox top cover off today so a I took a picture.

Interestingly, my 2 large outer plates are different thicknesses (like what you have). Somewhere I have a 3rd plate that probably matches one of the two.

In any case, you can probably get an idea of the outer radius of the middle plate- I'd say it's larger than the small outer plate in the picture- and probably has a curve matched to the two outer plates.

Dave

Gen III Coupe #17

I see that. Iím not sure whether I should bother F5 for a plate or just take the bench grinder to one of the existing large plates. I agree, the radius of the plate that contributes to the length of Clutch cable drawn through when the pedal is depressed could make a difference. Iíll think it over and make a decision when Iím back next week.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-14-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #197 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

We finished up the Reservoir bracket and got that installed today, as well as the brake supply lines. Hereís the process.

After mocking up the triple Reservoir for fitment, we washed, prepped and painted the bracket with POR15 to match the frame.

After bolting the bracket in place we mounted the Reservoir onto the bracket and tightened it into place.

You can see the adhesive from the warning stickers still on the Reservoir, we cleaned that off with a little Acetone. All shiny now!

After mounting that, we installed the grommet for the brake lines. The kit supplies a grommet with a hole for a single line, and I am bringing two brake lines through as well as a wiring harness lead (I suspect). I bought a Marine grommet on Amazon. The part is a Rig Rite Manufacturing 615 grommet and Prime has it in my hands in two days.

As an electrical contractor I have tools that some may not, and a hydraulic Punch set is one of those. I use the 1-11/16ths inch size punch to enlarge the hole to the size that looks right. I could also use a hole saw if I put a piece of wood to brace it on the other side of the hole, but this way is much cleaner.

After enlarging the hole and marking the holes with a sharpie, I pop the holes through and use rivets to secure the grommet. By dumb luck I chose a size of grommet that allows me to use the aluminum sheet to rivet to and stay inside the hole in the body steel hole.

Finished product in place with hoses connected.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-20-2019 at 12:47 AM.
post #198 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Received the second shipment from Gordon Levy Racing yesterday, the Front Brakes! .... excited to get started but a friend needs my help with my trailer today, so time will be limited ......

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #199 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Iíd like to make sure that the Reservoirs will feed the Master Cylinders effectively, and to do this, the level of the fluid in the Reservoir has to be higher than the highest point on the supply line to the MCs. How to measure this .....

My experience in the construction industry has taught me many things, and you do learn something new every day. One thing I learned in my first few years of work was how to make a water level. Itís very simple and all you need is a length of clear vinyl tubing and some water.

Position the clear vinyl tubing at the two locations you want to compare for height, and fill with water to the necessary level, and the water seeks its own level and you get two exactly equivalent reference points.

I fastened the tubing with the zip ties that came with the tubing, and filled with water.

The level of the water is about 1/2Ē from the bottom of the reservoir.

I can see using the water level that the Reservoir will flow down to fill the Master Cylinder, so its all good. I would not like to redo the Reservoir mount.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-23-2019 at 06:17 AM.
post #200 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 AM
FFCars Captain

Your reservoirs will flow fine from that height. Mine are in nearly the exact location and work perfectly. Just not sure why you have that much slack in your lines through the footbox to the MC's. You could tighten that up quite a bit. I found some 90 degree fittings for the two brake reservoirs that cleaned it up even more. Couldn't find the right size for the clutch reservoir since it's a smaller size.

IsaacW thanked this.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #201 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

I sent in an order to F5 for a wiring harness and gauge set, and while Iím waiting on those I decided to test fit the Radiator. I ordered the Breeze lower radiator mount kit, and Mark as usual shipped quickly. I opened the kit and read the instructions and got to work.

Keep in mind, Iím using the freight-damaged radiator until my replacement radiator arrives from F5. They are handling the freight claim directly.

Hereís the empty space.

I had already painted the square metal tube with POR15 to match the frame, so I installed the square tube ends and slid the included rubber tubing over the ends of the square tube using Armor-All as lubricant per the instructions.

Next are the Stainless brackets that slide over the ends, and then the bracket assembly is basically complete.

I drilled the top two holes in the radiator and the frame rail where the mounting areas are.

I am able to set the radiator in place, holding it with the two long screws supplied with the F5 base kit.

Drilling the holes for the bottom bracket is more of an art than a science, and I quickly discovered that my test radiator is not flat. This causes the bottom of the mount to appear to not be square on the frame. Unacceptable. The respectively opposing corners are tweaked in relation to each other. I use a piece of 1x2 under one corner and gently use a rubber mallet on the adjacent corner to make the radiator a flat plane. Once this is done, I gave it another test fit and finally measured an equal 2-1/4Ē from the end of the frame rail on both sides before making my final mark for drilling.

Holes drilled and ready for bolts.

Lower mount in place and radiator is fitted.

Couple more items in next post.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-27-2019 at 02:37 AM.
post #202 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Last couple of items on the radiator for now. The lower bar has a center screw-and-nut-style support that you predrill for and then thread through. This makes sure the radiator does not bounce around when you go over bumps

The hose that cushions the radiator should be notched as well, where the weld seam sits on the support. Iím not wanting to cut this notch until I get the new radiator and see exactly where the seams on the new one are. They look hand-welded, so they may vary from part to part. Iíll wait on this for now.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-26-2019 at 05:26 AM.
post #203 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:00 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

You might want to consider the Breeze upper radiator mount too. Rigid mounting has been associated with metal fatigue. The piano hinge that Breeze sells provides some movement resulting in less stress to the radiator mounting flange. If you decide to add the Breeze upper mount, make sure the rod used in the hinge is crimped at both ends. I found that vibration would cause the rod to walk out of the hinge to the passenger side. A pain to reinsert on the car but doable. I modified the ends to prevent the rod from working itself out. This was long ago, he probably modified the upper mount to prevent this from happening.
IsaacW thanked this.

MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, 255/40-17 F 295/35-17 R Kumho XS, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.

New project, 1970 Mustang fastback restomod. Started 10/14/16.

post #204 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
You might want to consider the Breeze upper radiator mount too. Rigid mounting has been associated with metal fatigue. The piano hinge that Breeze sells provides some movement resulting in less stress to the radiator mounting flange. If you decide to add the Breeze upper mount, make sure the rod used in the hinge is crimped at both ends. I found that vibration would cause the rod to walk out of the hinge to the passenger side. A pain to reinsert on the car but doable. I modified the ends to prevent the rod from working itself out. This was long ago, he probably modified the upper mount to prevent this from happening.

I follow. Do I recall you used a piece of neoprene there as well? I seem to recall a mention of that on the upper mount?

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #205 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

In the spirit of this box office weekend ......... Spoiler Alert!!

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #206 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Front Brake Installation time. Just like the rear brakes, the fronts consist of a Caliper Mount, the caliper itself, a two-piece rotor, and fasteners, including shim washers. However, the fronts have a couple pieces that the rears donít; a rotor centering ring and a wheel spacer. Iím not sure that the hub centering ring is necessary, as the rotor holes center nicely over the flared shoulder of the wheel studs, but Iím sure there is a good reason for them.

So I begin assembly. Gordon mentioned that there will be a little interference to the mounting of the caliper mounting bracket, and I find this to be correct on the upper bolt hole. I start with the lower hole, and only install two .090 spacers between the mount and the spindle per the instructions. As I swing the mount up to the upper bolt hole I find the interference. It keeps the bolt hole from lining up. I end up having to remove a little material from the very edge of the spindle where the contact is occurring so that they will line up enough to mate properly.

With the caliper Mount in place on the Drivers Side, I assemble the two pieces of the rotor together. The front Rotor and Hat are definitely beefier than the rears.

Red Loctite on the rotor bolts, and tightening to 85 in-lbs. This is a higher torque setting than the rears, but still microscopic by torque wrench settings. My torque wrench barely clicks at this setting, and if your not paying attention, you could easily miss it.

Next, the calipers ....

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #207 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

The instructions tell me to assemble the caliper mount, rotor and caliper before applying and Loctite or torquing to spec so that you can adjust the fit with the spacer shims. I found that both sides were different enough that they required different spacer combinations.

First on the Drivers side I applied a light oil to the caliper mounting studs per instructions and installed one spacer shim before sliding the caliper onto the stud. Immediately I see a big disparity on the center-line of the caliper as it aligns with the rotor.

This caused me to step back for a minute and reassess, including re-examining whether I had the caliper mount installed the correct direction or maybe the wheel spacer should be installed in between the hub and the rotor. After thinking it through and a late-night email to Gordon (and an even later-night reply) I tried to install the wheel spacer in between the hub and the wheel.... no luck, the spacerís holes are too small to fit over the shoulder on the wheel studs.

The other option is to use some of the .035 spacers that are included with the spacer Shim kit. I try two .035 spacers on the caliper bolts in between the .090 spacers top and bottom.... this gets me a lot closer to center.

I go with one more .035 spacer added to the two I already have on there, and this gets me to center. Three .035 spacers top and bottom sandwiched in between the .090 spacers is the correct spacing for this caliper. Now that this is correct, I go ahead and apply Red Loctite to the Caliper Mount Bracket Bolts and tighten them to the required 65 ft-lbs.

In my mind, I would rather the caliper mount bracket mount tight to the spindle without any spacers, but in this case that is not practical nor does it seem to be the design. The shims are so close to the bolt size and broad enough that common sense tells me the mating surface translates well enough. Plus, the torque direction is with the rotation of the rotor, not side-to-side, so I donít think it will be an issue.

There is a centering ring that sits inside the rotor and centers it on the hub. Iím not sure it is necessary, but I donít want to not install it and regret it later.

Next spacing decision is the caliper on its mounting studs. To determine this I remove the bridge bolt and go ahead and slide the brake pads into the caliper. Checking the pad top compared to the outer edge of the rotor I slide first one spacer on, then two. After two spacers, the two line up almost perfectly. I am erring slightly toward having the rotor stick up slightly past the edge of the pad because of the tapered edge of the rotor.

After these adjustments, I am comfortable torquing the caliper mounting nuts onto the studs. No Loctite is called for on these, and the light oil applied earlier will serve to make it a little easier to remove the caliper if necessary. These only torque to 30-35, and I go with 34, as my torque wrench only has even-value detents.

Then the Bridge bolt goes back in to lock in the pads.

The 45-degree fittings go into the fitting mount with a little blue Loctite. I talk myself into believing this direct-flow system is much more efficient than a banjo-bolt system and will work much better. Probably just rationalization on my part for having spent so much on brakes.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #208 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:31 PM
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacW View Post
There is a centering ring that sits inside the rotor and centers it on the hub. I’m not sure it is necessary, but I don’t want to not install it and regret it later.
You mention this twice, so will respond. Don't leave the centering rings out. There's a reason they're provided. You want rotors, wheel spacers, etc. to be hub-centric, not stud-centric. This is the most accurate. Often holes for the studs in rotors and wheel spacers are slightly over-sized. The hub and hole in the rotor should match exactly and provide the best centering. Which in turn will prevent vibration and give the smoothest braking. There should be a step around the hole of the rotor for the spacer to fit into, so the thickness of the rotor isn't affected. If you're using the Factory Five wheels, you'll find they also are hub-centric, also desirable. Sometimes not the case with aftermarket wheels.
IsaacW thanked this.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.

Last edited by edwardb; 04-28-2019 at 07:38 PM.
post #209 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
You mention this twice, so will respond. Don't leave the centering rings out. There's a reason they're provided. You want rotors, wheel spacers, etc. to be hub-centric, not stud-centric. This is the most accurate. Often holes for the studs in rotors and wheel spacers are slightly over-sized. The hub and hole in the rotor should match exactly and provide the best centering. Which in turn will prevent vibration and give the smoothest braking. There should be a step around the hole of the rotor for the spacer to fit into, so the thickness of the rotor isn't affected. If you're using the Factory Five wheels, you'll find they also are hub-centric, also desirable. Sometimes not the case with aftermarket wheels.

Thanks. I did install them, as you probably saw in the pictures. :-) I figured they were there for more than decoration.

Keep sharing, I enjoy learning as I go.

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights
post #210 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
First Time Builder

The passenger side brakes go fairly smoothly, almost exactly like the DS. I say almost because even through it is the same product, the number of shims required are a little different on this one. In addition to the two .090 spacers on the caliper mount-to-spindle bolt, this side required 5ea .035 spacers per bolt to center the caliper to the rotor. I didnít have enough shim washers in the kit..... and those are not easy washers to find. Additionally, only 1 shim was needed on the top and bottom caliper mounting studs to align the brake pads with the edge of the rotor.

Tightened all the hardware to spec.

Once the rotors and calipers were in place, we slipped on the wheel spacers.

Ok, so I admit at this point Iím psyched up to get the car to Roller status, so I may be a little early with the wheels, but we went ahead and put the wheels on with a few lug nuts per wheel. Without the body on the wheels go on and off pretty easy.

But, itís sitting on the ground!!

Isaac Wilson
Vancouver, WA

Factory Five Roadster #
Tremec (?) Undecided
2015 Mustang IRS
Wilwood Brakes
LED Lights

Last edited by IsaacW; 04-29-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement