Another AEM Infinity ECU Install on a Coyote - Page 5 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 36Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 444 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Man Cave Master Craftsman

Garage
Hello Trevor,

Is this the correct part number?

ISSPRO-ISSPRO - Fuel Level Sender 11-Inch, 240-33 Ohm - RA9511-ISS-RA9511-ISS

I have the Factory Five Classic gauges (I think you do to?) with default setting of 240 Ohms Empty and 33 Ohms Full.

According to Dave Boyd for the final location chosen by you the correct depth for our tanks needs to be 11 inches, also according the the manufacture the sender should be compatible with ethanol.

What do you think?

Saul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 444 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown 5.0 View Post
Hello Trevor,

Is this the correct part number?

ISSPRO-ISSPRO - Fuel Level Sender 11-Inch, 240-33 Ohm - RA9511-ISS-RA9511-ISS

I have the Factory Five Classic gauges (I think you do to?) with default setting of 240 Ohms Empty and 33 Ohms Full.

According to Dave Boyd for the final location chosen by you the correct depth for our tanks needs to be 11 inches, also according the the manufacture the sender should be compatible with ethanol.

What do you think?

Saul
Saul, that is the correct part number. However, it is not E-85 compatible. I found this out yesterday. ATL makes this same style sender but upgraded to work with E-85, Methanol, JP-8, E100, Gasoline, Diesel and just about anything else under the kitchen sink.

11" is the correct depth for how we are configuring the Boyd tank. I spoke to ATL on Friday and they confirmed it is compatible with these fuels. They don't stock an 11" sender. They stock a 10" and a 12". You have to special order the 11". Their standard ohm curve is 240/33 but you can have them calibrate to any of the typical ohm curves out there. I have the same Speedhut gauges as you do and they can either be programed for empty and full or they have several preset curves. The 240/33 curve is built into the gauge as a preset and so I am sticking with that curve for the sender since it's their default.

The closest part number is a KS210-10 which is their 10" version.

Now for the best part. This sender is well over twice the cost of the ISSPro which is more than twice the cost of a typical lever float style. I'm happy to help you open your wallet a little further.

This sender is 1.375" from flange to top versus the ISSPro which is about 1.75" tall. So this give a slightly lower profile to better fit the tank up under the trunk structure supports.

Here's a link to some details on this sender.
http://atlinc.com/pdfs/LevelSender/D...EVELSENDER.pdf

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ABT-KS170.jpg (14.4 KB, 14 views)
post #123 of 444 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mark Gearhart
I run a 12 gallon ATL but you can get a 16 gallon no problem. I went with a 12 gallon because I want to build a rear diffuser without the tank poking through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 444 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mark Gearhart
Infinity Tuner up and running on the tablet mounted in my dash.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7366.jpg (164.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7367.jpg (163.7 KB, 220 views)

FFR Challenge Street Car Build
625hp N/A Coyote, T-56 Magnum, Moser Solid Axle, etc
My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #125 of 444 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gearhart View Post
Infinity Tuner up and running on the tablet mounted in my dash.

Mark,

I have contemplated doing that. That is awesome. I thought about doing it also to make on the fly tune adjustments without the headache of having a clumsy laptop in the cockpit.

Trevor
post #126 of 444 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Fuel system upgrades

Car is still down so I haven't been able to continue tuning for the E-85 conversion. Waiting for new fuel tank to arrive. In the meantime, pulled out the old tank and prepping the area to accommodate the new Boyd tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BackhalfFuelTankUpgrade.jpg (124.7 KB, 40 views)
post #127 of 444 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:10 PM

Garage
Hello Trevor,

Did you make any modifications to the trunk floor such as access panels in anticipation of the new tank? also what guage size wire will you be running for the fuel pump feed?

It looks like you are running the standard Ford IRS 8.8 diff cover, have you had any issues with it?

Saul
post #128 of 444 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown 5.0 View Post
Hello Trevor,

Did you make any modifications to the trunk floor such as access panels in anticipation of the new tank? also what guage size wire will you be running for the fuel pump feed?

It looks like you are running the standard Ford IRS 8.8 diff cover, have you had any issues with it?

Saul
I routed the harness wires feeding the rear tail/brake lights through the side aluminum panels up high and to the rear. With the Mustang tank I had these wires routed down underneath the trunk frame structure. However, with the new Boyd tank I think this would cause a pinch point. So I took the harness up as high as I could get it, just under the 3/4" square tube structure for the trunk floor.

I am in the process of welding up the stock access holes with patches. However, I will wait until I get my hands on the new Boyd tank before I cut in new access holes for the pump assembly and the sender.

I am not changing out my fuel pump wiring. I am using the stock Ron Francis feed in the rear harness which is no smaller than 14 AWG but my recollection say it is 12 AWG. I'll measure it tonight. The harness does not feed the Ron Francis fuse box but rather I've bypassed it and is controlled by the Ford Racing Power Distribution Box (PDB) relay & fuse. I think it will be fine especially if it is a 12 AWG feed. I'll double check the wire gauge.

I am running the OEM aluminum IRS 8.8 diff cover. I've had zero issues with it. I bead blasted it and then bead tumbled it for a clean and polished but raw look. As I recall, fitting/installing it in the cage was very tedious and I ground off the rectangular casting extrusions on the dif cover to give the ever so slightest gain in clearance which made a big difference in making install and remove through the cage easier.
post #129 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

My new Dave Boyd tank was just finished and should be shipping within the next few days. Getting closer to being back on the road and ready for the corn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4303.jpg (233.7 KB, 28 views)
post #130 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMScrogins View Post
My new Dave Boyd tank was just finished and should be shipping within the next few days. Getting closer to being back on the road and ready for the corn.
Hey that tank looks just like mine! are you sure that one is yours?

Yep, called them earlier today and was told the same thing, the fuel level sender should be in by Wednesday next week.

Still working on Dash and instruments before first start.

Saul

post #131 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How to: Tuning Procedures

I have been documenting all of the tuning procedures I went through for each of the obstacle/problem areas I encountered when tuning the Coyote on the Infinity. If people are interested, I thought about posting installments of the tuning procedures as a guide that resolved the problem areas I encountered which are highlighted along the way in this thread: To date, these areas include:

DBW Throttle Body
Decel stalling
Backfire on decel from high RPM
Digital input filtering and smoothing
Traction control oscillations
Cold start stalling
Flex Fuel setup

In addition to the tuning procedures for the problem areas, I also encountered a few features that I wanted to program for that really isn't called out specifically in the AEM Infinity manual. These areas include:

Setup a MIL
Setup a USB Data Logging switch
Setup a Valet Mode using a secondary DBW throttle curve

I can't say that others will experience the same issues as I did but a lot of work, my time and assistance/support from AEM went into tackling these hurdles, and it may save others unnecessary headaches and time. Perhaps these procedure docs might be of benefit to others that may encounter similar problems, and I'm more than willing to share if there is interest. If so, I'll post the tuning procedures as attachments in this thread.

Caveat: I now consider myself a novice/hobby tuner on the Infinity. My procedures are geared more around the laymen (me) than the professional tuner who wouldn't care much about my notes anyway.

Trevor

Last edited by TMScrogins; 03-11-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added info on MIL, data logging and valet mode
post #132 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Mustang Convert
FFCars Craftsman

Yes, please! - primarily interested in the following topics:

DBW Throttle Body
Decel stalling
Cold start stalling

Kevin

Quote:
I have been documenting all of the tuning procedures I went through for each of the obstacle/problem areas I encountered when tuning the Coyote on the Infinity. If people are interested, I thought about posting installments of the tuning procedures as a guide that resolved the problem areas I encountered which are highlighted along the way in this thread: To date, these areas include:

DBW Throttle Body
Decel stalling
Digital input filtering and smoothing
Traction control oscillations
Cold start stalling
Flex Fuel setup

I can't say that others will experience the same issues as I did but a lot of work, my time and assistance/support from AEM went into tackling these hurdles, and it may save others unnecessary headaches and time. Perhaps these procedure docs might be of benefit to others that may encounter similar problems, and I'm more than willing to share if there is interest. If so, I'll post the tuning procedures as attachments in this thread.

Caveat: I now consider myself a novice/hobby tuner on the Infinity. My procedures are geared more around the laymen (me) than the professional tuner which wouldn't care much about my notes anyway.

Trevor

MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
Delivered: 1/6/2012
First Start: 1/19/2014
First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
Graduation: 1/4/2015

post #133 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How to: Tuning Procedures

I just edited my previous post to also include 3 other areas that were not problem areas but really features that I wanted to setup that wasn't really called out in the AEM user's guide. I will add these to library as well for those that might have interest in setting these up.

How to setup:

MIL (light)
Valet Mode switch
USB Data Logging switch
post #134 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 PM

Garage
Oh yes! please post

Saul
post #135 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How To: Tuning Procedures - Installment #1 (DBW TB)

Attached is the first installment (DBW Throttle Body). Props also go to David Borden as we worked through a lot of the learning curve together.

I will start prepping my notes and post additional installments soon.

Update - I updated this post to now include a 2-part video series that accompanies the attached document. This procedure is hard to explain on paper but the YouTube videos (Part 1 & Part 2) should clear up any questions.

Part 1 - DBW/Throttle Body Calibration

Part 2 - DBW Bias % table & PID tuning
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuning procedure #1 - DBW Throttle Body.pdf (422.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by TMScrogins; 03-16-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added video links to accompany write-up
post #136 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How To: Tuning Procedures - Installment #2 (Decel stalling)

Here is the second installment - Decel Stalling.

Trevor
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuning procedure #2 - Decel stalling.pdf (200.7 KB, 21 views)
post #137 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Hakeem,

I answered your questions via PM.

Trevor
post #138 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How To: Tuning Procedures - Installment #3 (Backfire on Decel from high RPM)

And the third installment - Backfire on Decel from high RPM.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuning procedure #3 - Backfire on decel from high RPM.pdf (241.7 KB, 17 views)
post #139 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:22 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Hakeem,

I answered your questions via PM.

Trevor
Thanks, I will start posting here. just a quick question where did you get the Motec DMC-D converter from? I only found it on Ebay Australia and they dont ship to Qatar?

Thanks
Hakeem

OK I found it on Page 2 its from https://www.racingsolutions.com

Last edited by Hakeem; 03-09-2016 at 07:50 AM.
post #140 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakeem View Post
Thanks, I will start posting here. just a quick question where did you get the Motec DMC-D converter from? I only found it on Ebay Australia and they dont ship to Qatar?

Thanks
Hakeem

OK I found it on Page 2 its from https://www.racingsolutions.com
Yep, that's it. MoTeC DMC-D Converter: Wheel Speed - Racing Solutions
post #141 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How To: Tuning Procedures - Installment #4 (Cold Start Stalling)

The fourth installment - Cold Start stalling
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuning procedure #4 - Cold start stalling.pdf (299.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by TMScrogins; 03-09-2016 at 06:12 PM.
post #142 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How To: Tuning Procedures - Installment #5 (Digital Input Filtering & Smoothing)

The fifth installment - Digital Input Filtering and Smoothing
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuning procedure #5- Digitial Input filtering and smoothing.pdf (124.9 KB, 18 views)
post #143 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How To: Tuning Procedures - Installment #6 (Traction Control Oscillations)

The sixth installment - Traction Control Oscillations
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuning procedure #6 - Traction Control oscillations.pdf (442.9 KB, 21 views)
post #144 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How To: Tuning Procedures - Installment #7 (Flex Fuel setup)

The seventh installment - Flex Fuel setup
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuning procedure #7 - Flex Fuel setup.pdf (460.4 KB, 20 views)
post #145 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:33 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Hi,

Hope u are doing good. I have a question please. Regarding the Dakota digital module, which signal did u use to send to ECU?

I have digital Dakota instruments and it has a speed out that can send 2k or 4K ppm for ECU. So thought maybe I might save some money and not buy the module u have ?

Thanks
Hakeem
RE63 thanked this.
post #146 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakeem View Post
Hi,

Hope u are doing good. I have a question please. Regarding the Dakota digital module, which signal did u use to send to ECU?

I have digital Dakota instruments and it has a speed out that can send 2k or 4K ppm for ECU. So thought maybe I might save some money and not buy the module u have ?

Thanks
Hakeem
So you would feed the speed sensor input to the Dakota Digital Speedo gauge. Then use the speed out that you are indicating and feed it into the ECU providing this speed out from the instrument is a digital signal (I would assume that it is). I wouldn't worry too much about the pulse signal rates. The Infinity can calibrate it on the ECU side to match.

I would agree that you do not need a module I have to make this work.
Hakeem thanked this.
post #147 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How To: Tuning Procedures - Installment #8 (MIL Setup)

The Eighth installment - MIL Setup. aka "Check Engine Light"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuning procedure #8 - MIL setup.pdf (220.0 KB, 25 views)
post #148 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How To: Tuning Procedures - Installment #9 (USB Logging Switch)

The ninth installment - USB Logging Switch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuning procedure #9 - USB Logging Switch.pdf (164.4 KB, 19 views)
post #149 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

How To: Tuning Procedures - Installment #10 (Valet Mode)

The tenth installment - Valet Mode switch

This concludes my "How-To" DIY documents for the Infinity. I hope someone finds this information useful, either now or down the road.

I'm hoping someone forges ahead on some of the other features that I haven't explored and shares with the rest of us. E.g. Boost control (Saul, hint, hint), ITB tuning (Mark G - hint, hint), launch control, shift cut, etc.

Still so much more to learn and explore.

Trevor
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuning procedure #10 - Valet Mode.pdf (417.7 KB, 27 views)
post #150 of 444 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

New Tank Installed

Almost back to working on my E-85 tuning. I have pretty much wrapped up the install on my new, custom Boyd fuel tank. It's awesome. Here are a few pics. I'll spend the next couple of weeks finalizing the Gasoline VE tuning with the new injectors (this all assumes the tank fixed my cavitation issues, which I'm sure it has) and then back to a first run with E-85.

Stay tuned...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BoydTankBaffleBladder.jpg (69.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Tank.jpg (83.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg TankInstall.jpg (105.9 KB, 35 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement