Found my old Fox Mustang! - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 36Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Talking Found my old Fox Mustang! Re-build thread

And bought it back last night!

So I bought my first Mustang, a '92 5.0 LX Hatch in 2002 and drove it for 5 years. Sold it when the economy tanked but always regretted it.

I met my wife with this car when we took a trip to Stinson Beach with a group of friends in the summer of '02. Had a lot of great memories dating, getting married, starting out life together, taking trips, bringing home the Christmas tree on top of the car, etc. I did a burnout in the church parking lot the day we got married. I sold it 11 years ago. We were watching some home videos recently and I thought about looking for it. Definitely a long shot but worth a try.

Carfax showed several owners but it was still on the road and in the Bay Area (California) as of last year. I put the word out to some friends and on some forums, even emailed the Bay Area Mustang Club.

And then...in an amazing stroke of luck......it popped up for sale on Craigslist! At first I wasn't sure if it was mine since it looks different but some things we the same. I got in touch with the seller and he sent me a picture of the VIN and it was a match! What are the odds!?! Had a chat with the seller and sold! My wife was so excited when I told her I found it.

I am out of state but a buddy of mine went and picked it up last night. So I will be flying out to CA this Friday, getting it dialed in with fluids, etc and attempting the 800 mile trip home. Once I get it home the plan is to do a mild restoration, mostly to get it back to how it was when I sold it. It's definitely a project and needs some love but it's gonna be awesome. Never to be sold again.

I may post occasionally looking for Fox parts (interior or random bits) as needed.

Hope she makes the drive home!

Justin

Last edited by Justin Roberts; 05-09-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:30 PM

Amazing that you found it. I sold an '83 fox body years ago that I wish could find.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Major

Looks like a nice donor.
post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:25 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

I am still looking for my 1973 Dodge Dart Sport.

post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Roberts View Post
And bought it back last night!

So I bought my first Mustang, a '92 5.0 LX Hatch in 2002 and drove it for 5 years. Sold it when the economy tanked but always regretted it.

I met my wife with this car when we took a trip to Stinson Beach with a group of friends in the summer of '02. Had a lot of great memories dating, getting married, starting out life together, taking trips, bringing home the Christmas tree on top of the car, etc. I did a burnout in the church parking lot the day we got married. I sold it 11 years ago. We were watching some home videos recently and I thought about looking for it. Definitely a long shot but worth a try.

Carfax showed several owners but it was still on the road and in the Bay Area (California) as of last year. I put the word out to some friends and on some forums, even emailed the Bay Area Mustang Club.

And then...in an amazing stroke of luck......it popped up for sale on Craigslist! At first I wasn't sure if it was mine since it looks different but some things we the same. I got in touch with the seller and he sent me a picture of the VIN and it was a match! What are the odds!?! Had a chat with the seller and sold! My wife was so excited when I told her I found it.

I am out of state but a buddy of mine went and picked it up last night. So I will be flying out to CA this Friday, getting it dialed in with fluids, etc and attempting the 800 mile trip home. Once I get it home the plan is to do a mild restoration, mostly to get it back to how it was when I sold it. It's definitely a project and needs some love but it's gonna be awesome. Never to be sold again.

I found my old Mustang and bought it back! - YouTube

I may post occasionally looking for Fox parts (interior or random bits) as needed.

Hope she makes the drive home!

Justin
Good for you !!!! I've been looking for my 67 Butternut Yellow SS 396 Chevelle with no luck,for years (that I ordered from the factory) in 67.I contacted every place you could think of,and then some.Glad you found yours
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 02:28 AM
Blue Oval Scribe
FFCars Major

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang Man
Nice! Congrats! Still have my '90 LX 5.0L I bought brand new (and no it will not become a FFR donor if I can help it!).

Keep us posted with updates!

Mark
Justin Roberts thanked this.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 02:46 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thumbs up

We have a local guy with over 100 fox body mustangs. Two or three building full of parts. He buys them mostly of parts. He has become the Mustang Junk Yard.
I sold him two last month.
SveltGt thanked this.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWIGHT View Post
We have a local guy with over 100 fox body mustangs. Two or three building full of parts. He buys them mostly of parts. He has become the Mustang Junk Yard.
I sold him two last month.
ooooh....any chance he has a website? Pretty sure I'm gonna need some interior and engine bay bits.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:20 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thumbs up

I'll text him and see if he has a website
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:27 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thumbs up

He does not have a website but is working on one.
You can text him during the day and he will call you when he free.

Chris Phillips 256-710-9123
Justin Roberts and WIS89 thanked this.
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWIGHT View Post
He does not have a website but is working on one.
You can text him during the day and he will call you when he free.

Chris Phillips 256-710-9123

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely be in touch.
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 PM
Type 65 Coupe in progress

I still have my '92 LX 5.0 5 speed convertible Special edition that I bought NEW. Lots of memories in that car. I parted out a wrecked '88 GT for the running gear in the Coupe you see in the background. The Coupe took over as my favorite the day I first drove it around the block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2920e.jpg (210.6 KB, 56 views)

You should have YOUR head examined.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Moral of the story, if you have a clean Fox body, never sell it!

I fly out tomorrow to have my first look at the car. I'm fully expecting it to look worse than the pictures but I'm still jazzed to get it back and start putting it back together. One of the previous owners ripped out the HVAC controls to put some extra gauges in that spot, so.....the drive home will be on the cool side with no heater. I'll have to see if I can rig something or get the parts before the drive home. Oh well, I'm bringing my coat and gloves just in case. Weather in Reno looks fine so as long as I can clear Donner pass on dry roads then going over flat Nevada will be easy.

I have a list of things to go through before the drive home, and then another list of things to address once I get it home. But for now, goal #1 is to make it home.

The trans is currently out so I'll need to check the clutch assy and put the trans, etc back in and make sure it's running right and shifting right.

I figure to get it home I only really need it to:
1. Hold 2,200 rpm or so
2. Hold 5th gear
3. Keep temperature without overheating
4. Steer (bonus)
5. Stop (not really as important to me as the going part but honorable mention, and may be useful at times lol)

The car used to get 22 mpg on the freeway but with the current set up who knows. Gonna play it safe and fill up early, may also take along a gas can.

I'm going to take video and post progress on youtube if anyone wants to follow along as I rebuild.

Cheers,
Justin
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:00 AM

Justin good luck keep us updated.

We still have our '95 5.0 GT stick shift Convertible with 23k on it.
Just had it NYS Inspected & the dealership offered us $3k as a trade.
Needs a new rad & a/c recharge.
Just hate to let it go.
I wish I still had my '54 TF & '48 Riley conv. I'll NEVER forget the cabin smell when driving them.
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:15 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Major

Quote:
Moral of the story, if you have a clean Fox body, never sell it!

I fly out tomorrow to have my first look at the car. I'm fully expecting it to look worse than the pictures but I'm still jazzed to get it back and start putting it back together. One of the previous owners ripped out the HVAC controls to put some extra gauges in that spot, so.....the drive home will be on the cool side with no heater. I'll have to see if I can rig something or get the parts before the drive home. Oh well, I'm bringing my coat and gloves just in case. Weather in Reno looks fine so as long as I can clear Donner pass on dry roads then going over flat Nevada will be easy.

I have a list of things to go through before the drive home, and then another list of things to address once I get it home. But for now, goal #1 is to make it home.

The trans is currently out so I'll need to check the clutch assy and put the trans, etc back in and make sure it's running right and shifting right.

I figure to get it home I only really need it to:
1. Hold 2,200 rpm or so
2. Hold 5th gear
3. Keep temperature without overheating
4. Steer (bonus)
5. Stop (not really as important to me as the going part but honorable mention, and may be useful at times lol)

The car used to get 22 mpg on the freeway but with the current set up who knows. Gonna play it safe and fill up early, may also take along a gas can.

I'm going to take video and post progress on youtube if anyone wants to follow along as I rebuild.

Cheers,
Justin
I assume you considered towing it home and rejected that for some reason? Or paying to have it shipped?
It just seems to me you are setting yourself up for a lot of hassles.
crash thanked this.
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Lol too true.... shipping was going to be pretty expensive and towing seemed like a pain. As it is I might end up getting it towed anyway.

Admittedly this was somewhat impulsive but it's going to be an adventure and should make for a great story to tell the grandkids.

A local forum member reached out and was able to get me an HVAC control unit with the cable so as long as the vacuum lines are in place (or if I can source some) I should have full control of the heater and defroster. Awesome!
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Looks like USMC called it, ended up flying home but it was still a good trip. I flew out and wrenched on the car for two days. Had it driving within about 8 hours on the first day. Spent the next day dialing in everything on my list plus a few surprises and went for a longer shakedown run. It went fine. The motor fires right up and idles well, has lots of power. A quick stab of the throttle in 1st gear broke the tires loose easily. Held temperature fine. Electric fan works fine with a manual switch. Steers and brakes fine. Sounds great with the e-303 cam and full exhaust. Discovered that the firewall is cracked where the clutch cable goes through so we fabbed up a plate to add strength there. I was all ready to drive home Sunday morning, pushed in the clutch pedal and something snapped, pedal went to the floor with no resistance. I thought the clutch cable had snapped. Upon closer inspection the cable is fine but it looks like the clutch fork may have come off the pedestal. Not certain but that's my theory at this point. (I plan to replace the fork, pedestal and TOB retainer when I get it apart again. The clutch assy is new.)

Not willing to risk getting stuck out in the desert and missing some Christmas plans with my family Sunday night, I booked a flight home and am having the car shipped. Turns out shipping isn't nearly as bad as I had initially thought. Should have it at my house within the next week.

Still glad I flew out though, I was able to assess the car, get a lot of work done, etc.

Impressions? It's rough but workable. I've seen worse but it's been neglected and unloved by previous owners. Drives like an old metal wheeled roller skate. Will need a new hood and correct headlights, need to clean up some wiring (zip ties everywhere), need to replace a lot of the interior as much of it is missing. Body is in ok shape but needs some attention in a few areas. No rust at all on the bottom of the car thanks to being covered in oil. Motor needs an oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, and maybe a new crank snout seal. Will do the rear main as well since I'll have the tranny off again. Tranny goes into all gears but it's loud. It might be the original with 348k miles on it so it will get a re-build or get replaced.

Had a great Christmas with my family and I'm excited to get the car home and continue the work on it. It's ugly and needy right now but we'll get it back into shape.

Justin
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Roberts
It's ugly and needy right now but we'll get it back into shape.
Justin
sounds like a lot of us (or those we had ridden years ago) who haven't aged
that well either
congrats
Geoff H and Justin Roberts thanked this.

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 12-26-2018 at 06:46 PM.
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Administrator

(fixed the quote above)

Congrats on the find Justin, and good luck with the rehab!

David Hodgkins, AKA CNGreen

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delivered 4/23/06.

. Plates! 1/2010 BatCave! 1/2012.
Featured Roadster, 2012 and 2013 Huntington Beach Cruise-In
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:29 AM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

Might want to check out the nylon clutch adjuster, it may be broken if it's still stock.
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
Might want to check out the nylon clutch adjuster, it may be broken if it's still stock.
It has an aftermarket aluminum clutch quadrant so it's solid there. Definitely something going on with the clutch fork. I have read that if the fork and pedestal are worn then the fork can slip off. Anyway, car should be shipped soon (possibly tomorrow) and once it is home I'll pull everything apart and address the issue.

Here's my next video. Can't believe I didn't get any footage of it running. Next one for sure.

post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Wow you have a lot of work ahead of you! Labor of love indeed!

Best of luck, and keep us informed!

David Hodgkins, AKA CNGreen

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS

Delivered 4/23/06.

. Plates! 1/2010 BatCave! 1/2012.
Featured Roadster, 2012 and 2013 Huntington Beach Cruise-In
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:24 PM

For that cowl dent, where the hood hit when it flipped up, I have had good luck inserting a deflated football, and then pumping it up slowly to take care of a lot of that dent.

Good luck, I have a soft spot for the foxes also, and I totally understand your goals with this project.

It'll be great again.
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:38 PM

Wow dude...you are determined! I expected to see a relatively original car. Man people do strange stuff to cars....shouldn't surprise me I guess.

Good luck with it!

Chuck

Build Gallery:

post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post
For that cowl dent, where the hood hit when it flipped up, I have had good luck inserting a deflated football, and then pumping it up slowly to take care of a lot of that dent.

Good luck, I have a soft spot for the foxes also, and I totally understand your goals with this project.

It'll be great again.
Great idea for the cowl, I will definitely try that. Any ideas for the dents in the roof? Maybe call a PDR guy?
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwood View Post
Wow dude...you are determined! I expected to see a relatively original car. Man people do strange stuff to cars....shouldn't surprise me I guess.

Good luck with it!
Thanks and agreed. Some people shouldn't touch cars. Luckily I know how to make things looks good again.

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...fter-pics.html

Sure wish I had my old donor car still. I may have to get another one.
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Any ideas for the dents in the roof?
Get a bigger football.

Seriously, I don't know. Since the headliner is out, it will be easier to get to, but it is beyond my pay level. Hopefully the sun roof frame is not bent, but it might need to be resealed.

Take your time and do it right.

Just remember that this is not about the car, it's about the memories.
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Finally got it home, and picked up a nice wrecked donor car as well. Will be getting to work this week!

Justin
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Great project! All that practice building your FFR is now paying off - another donor to strip!

Have fun!

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement