Found my old Fox Mustang! - Page 3 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 36Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:06 AM

changed the lights in our 1995 (owned it since '96)

couldn't drive it at night so went with these (kept the originals for next owner). It just clicked 20,000 miles.

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/attach...1&d=1569665025
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190920_093839.jpg (17.2 KB, 24 views)
Justin Roberts thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Thank goodness for cut and buff! As stated previously, much of the clear didn't go down so well due mostly to lack of skill, insufficient CFM, spraying in a garage, phase of the moon, etc....

Luckily wetsanding and polishing works and it looks like I will be able to salvage the paint job.

I loosely mounted up the hood and bumpers so they were out of the way and didn't get knocked over in the garage. Nice to have the area cleaned up a bit after being in full body shop mode. I'll deal with panel gaps when I'm ready to bolt things on for good.

So yeah...some of the clear not looking too hot. See list of excuses above...

After wetsanding and polishing. Now this I can live with, even if it is a bit wavy in places.

50/50 shot, fender to hood

For those wondering, I am doing 1500 grit wet, 2000 grit wet, 3000 grit wet, then polishing compound on a foam pad with a rotary polisher, followed by swirl remover on a lighter foam pad. At this point the plan is to go panel by panel and try to get the whole car looking good in clear.

Justin

FFR4277K 302 EFI, IRS, Halibrands, etc... (sold)
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:57 PM

Looks good . For only 10 months into the project, you are moving along very well.

What are your plans for the wheels, interior and drive train ??

FFR 3319. On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades
post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post
Looks good . For only 10 months into the project, you are moving along very well.

What are your plans for the wheels, interior and drive train ??
Thank you Sir. For the wheels I may actually paint and run the 18s that came with it. I've been staring at them so long they've kind of grown on me. We'll see how they look after some reconditioning. If not, maybe some Cobra Rs like I had back in the day.

Drivetrain will be the stock 302 and T5 from the donor car at first. Since I'm moving wiring over from the donor car I want things to be pretty stock so it will be easier to troubleshoot any issues that may pop up in the beginning. Once the car is dialed in I may add the heads/cam/intake that came on the car when I got it back. Also toying with the notion of a single turbo kit at some point. I live at 4500 ft and let's face it, boost is the cure for elevation.

Interior will be all new carpet, headliner, seat covers, all stock looking in Titanium grey, as clean as I can make it with the aftermarket suppliers. Plastics will get re-painted as needed.

So plenty of work to do but coming along ok.

Justin

post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Roberts View Post

Interior will be all new carpet, headliner, seat covers, all stock looking in Titanium grey, as clean as I can make it with the aftermarket suppliers. Plastics will get re-painted as needed.

Justin
For the interior, you might want to look at TMI . Their upholstery is probably the closest to original as compared to the others that are out there.

https://www.tmiproducts.com/ford/fox...979-1993/1992-
mustang

I have also had very good experience with SEM paints and dyes for the plastic parts.

Derald.

post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Still at it. I had a mobile painter come out and do a bit of a re-spray focusing mostly on the top of the car where I had a bunch of fisheyes that I had to sand down. He got that part of it looking better. I then spent about 20 hours over two days wet sanding and polishing to cut down some of the orange peel, etc. Darn near sanded my fingerprints off! Still need to do a final polish but I will likely wait for warmer weather to do that. Painted and attached the side moldings and front spats. Cleaned and painted the rear end, front control arms and spindles.

Starting some re-assembly now. I went with Power Stop 13 inch brakes for a 2003 Cobra since I already had SN95 spindles. I also ordered some Cobra decals from ebay. They're a little cheesy but whatever, the powder coating on the calipers looks great and it's a nice functional upgrade over stock. Using KYB shocks and struts, Eibach springs, and UPR rear control arms. Got a bunch of stuff from Prothane for the front as well. I painted one wheel a gunmetal color as a test. I think we'll run that for a while.

The rear end will get new axle bearings and seals and I installed new Ford bushings as well.

Starting to come together a bit. I am hoping to have the car back on 4 wheels by the end of the week.

post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:12 AM
Junior Charter Member

I like the way the wheels look! Great progress.

Mike, FFR 4263 MKII, Red/Silver, 331 and Loads of FUN!!!!
post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:48 PM

I like the wheels too!

-Andrew-

- If the answer to the question is "the government" it was a stupid question to begin with.
post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks guys. With any luck it will be on 4 wheels by tomorrow night.

post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:29 PM
Caress of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Roberts View Post
Junkyard hood polished up nicely. I used a magic eraser to get the paint pen off, then did clay bar, 2 steps of machine polishing and some wax. Plenty of deep scratches in it but got some of the shine back. Still may run the cowl hood from the donor car but I wanted to get this one cleaned up anyway.
https://www.ffcars.com/forums/member...kyard-hood.jpg
https://www.ffcars.com/forums/member...ished-up-1.jpg
https://www.ffcars.com/forums/member...ished-up-2.jpg
I don't hang out much on the off topic section, so I didn't see this before, but I bought the 'junkyard' hood from you for my notchback a month or so ago. Awesome progress so far on your restoration!

I'm planning some upgrades to mine over the winter to make it a bit more streetable. The rear custom 3-link, spherical joints and what seems like 2000-lb coilovers and make it not that much fun to cruise in so far. I'll be dialing that all back to lighter springs, ditching the spherical joints and other changes to soften it back more towards being a fun street machine. Luckily this was built on a 44k-mile 4-cyl car so the bodywork and paint is still in excellent shape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; '11 Mustang 5.0 'vert; '93 Mustang Notch; '98 F150;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

I'll give up my clutch when they pry it from my cold dead toes.
Si vis pacem para bellum.

Last edited by Joe Campbell; Yesterday at 04:27 AM.
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Very cool! Post some pics of your Mustang.

post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM

Those wheels cleaned up very nice.

post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

Very nice combo! I wouldn't park this in the snow, you may not find it until spring.

"I'm just a victim of a thousand psychic wars."

post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM
Caress of Steel

A little grimy from some recent cruises and burnouts, but the hood you found matches perfectly.

The custom three-link in the back forced the use of exhaust dumps. Debating whether or not to take it back to stock, but it would be a job, as they removed the torque boxes and welded in all the PHB and 3rd link brackets. I also need to get some fox-length 31-spl axles for the back to eliminate the wheel rub - I think they used SN95's. 347, TR3550 trans and 3.73's. I might switch to 3.55's...1st is almost useless.

I've had more fox Mustangs than I can count, but this takes me back to the Texas cop coupe I had in the military.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191110_103528.jpg (252.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20191110_103603.jpg (263.6 KB, 11 views)

; '11 Mustang 5.0 'vert; '93 Mustang Notch; '98 F150;
;

I'll give up my clutch when they pry it from my cold dead toes.
Si vis pacem para bellum.

Last edited by Joe Campbell; Yesterday at 06:49 PM.
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Joe the notch looks great! I like the Cobra rims and brakes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement