What are some of your favorite things about modern life? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

What are some of your favorite things about modern life?

OK – at time or another, almost all of us have complained about the Government, “kids nowadays.” etc., but what are your favorite things about modern life?

By “modern life” I am referring to the last 50 years or so. Few people want to wash their clothes at the river.

Here are some of my favorite things about life nowadays, even when compared to my high school times in the 1980’s:
  1. Virtually no public smoking. Maybe it’s a California thing, but I personally like breathing and not having a smelly jacket when I get home. (Smokers have every right to do what they wish to their bodies in their own home or elsewhere.)
  2. The internet: especially referring to buying things such as replacement parts. I love getting forum help, planning travel, etc.
  3. Entertainment: absolutely fantastic TV shows, movies, and Vegas-style entertainment. Sure, there’s more crap out there than ever before, but overall there’s much to be enjoyed
  4. Most retail products are better. Almost everything I touch is better. Mattresses are better, body products are better, cars are safer and more reliable.
  5. LASIK eye surgery – come on guys, this is one of the five senses! I had it done 15 years ago and I can still see perfectly.
  6. DESIGN: I’m a professional designer, and my hobby is carpentry, interior design, style, etc. 50 years ago, the Main Street hardware store had one or two kitchen faucets – nowadays there are endless things to chose from.
  7. Women are better looking. How? No clue.

LET'S SHOOT FOR GOOD VIBRATIONS ONLY HERE

_
_

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....†††

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Snake Farmer

Garage
Hmmm..? Well here's a couple things..

I have to agree, the Internet especially, has been a wonderful thing.

Entertainment on the tube has improved dramatically. Much more available now, than the 10 or 12 channels I grew up with. (Even less when we only had an antenna). And..it's in color!

Medicine, and health care. People would have died just 50 years ago, where today they can be saved.

Communications. It used to cost an arm and a leg to call long distance.

Other than for the burka, women's clothing designs, have improved..especially bathing suits..

Human rights, especially women's rights.

Music sound systems. Much better today, than back in the "mono" era..

Food. Far bigger variety available, and fresh, from all around the world.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic

I would agree with most all of that except #7. There are lots of good looking women but if anything they've gotten worse (fatter) I know Cali is way better than GA in the fat chicks dept but man when I go out here the fat girls are everywhere.

I would also agree on cars. Really cars are made so well today compared to the late 70's and 80's. Also TVs and stereos are a million times better.

Medical procedures should be at the top of your list. Think about something like a gall bladder removal now as compared to 30-40 years ago. I had mine out in 1998 and it was basically almost outpatient surgery in and out in the same day. That's just one example that are probably many others.

Much of what you buy retail wise is garbage today, furniture is a good example...Chinese crap from Rooms to Go is one I can think of. I think for every product that is better made such as TV/stereo there are 3 that are crap. Many tools, clothes, consumer products just everyday stuff like an electric can opener are generally garbage made in a far off third world cesspool design to last long enough to surpass the 30 day warranty

MKIII, 302 FMS Crate, GT40 Heads, Quick Fuel carb, TK0500 Mid-shift, 3-Link, 300 RWHP & Trq. Finally done after two years. I think I will call her Black Betty

"It is only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you come to realize that there can be value in solving problems without using violence.”

Last edited by Scalded Dog; 09-01-2015 at 04:05 PM.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Agreed there is a lot of retail crap out there. but at least we have a choice: a $30 blender, a $100 blender, or even a $1,000 “designer” blender (exists). I use my grandmother’s blender from 1932 and it works perfectly. (Needed a new power cord.)

Good looking women is probably a California thing. Every day here in California I see young ladies, each of which would easily have been the best looking girl in my school in Long Island in the 1980s. But have you ever seen that commercial for Axe Deodorant? Jokingly says “…women are getting hotter and hotter….”

Sadly, everyone in my family that has died did so because there was no treatment at all to extend their live. Gladly, I have yet to experience any medical issues, but I agree medical technology should top a list.

_
_

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....†††

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:46 PM
FFCars Craftsman

hmm - seems like life was "simpler" back in the 80's, but, my parents said the same thing bout the late 50s, early 60s.

With the widespread wireless,internet, bluetooth items out there - the tech is amazing. How did we survive without it ?

I believe the advances in medical fields has been the greatest - Cancer survival rates, open heart bypass, transplants, what was a death sentence 30 years ago is today routine. Ive had 2 microdiscectomys ( L4 /L5 ) back in 08, that would no have happened in the 60/70/80s.

5.0L Trick Flow heads & cam, Edelbrock RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel Carb, MSD, Levy Super Alloy T-5 & 3.55 rear AC Team III Hailibrands
Lexus Platinum Metallic - Audi Black Magic Pearl stripes.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
LASIK eye surgery – come on guys, this is one of the five senses! I had it done 15 years ago and I can still see perfectly.
What do you do when you in the shop or outside in the bright sun? Do you wear safety glasses or sun glasses?

John Hudson
FFR 2513

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Plodding Along
FFCars Master Craftsman

Ice cream in the winter.

Later,
Chris

Mk3.1 #7074
Picked-up at FFR - 10/10/09
First start and go-kart - 9/19/12
"As smoke is blown away; so blow them away." Psalm 68:2
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Talking Medicine

I have to say that the advancements in medicine are tops on my list . . .

Had back surgery 30 years ago and they had to cut thru the muscles to fix a disc problem. Eight weeks recovery to "light duty" for another month.

Had back surgery again (one joint lower) in '03 and all they did was poke a little hole to fix the problem. 2 weeks of stayin' at home then back to work with the "just be careful" warning. 5 hours on the table, walked to my car after released from post-op.

Recently had a heart issue and am sooo glad that the doctors are educated better now-a-days.

Doc

Guess I'll throw in a vote for the internet (in some limited respect) and the fact that I no longer have to look for a pay phone. Ha-Ha-Ha.

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.

Last edited by Big Blocker; 09-01-2015 at 05:23 PM.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Garage
1) Being a cancer survivor, 7 years now, I'll go with the advances in medicine but that comes with very high cost $$$$.

2) Cars, growing up in the late fifties and sixties I love the cars of that era, but you have to admit they were crap. You were lucky to get 100K out of them and that was with a LOT of maintenance. Today's car although very expensive, will easily go 200K or more with much less repairs.

3) Smart phones, don't know how I lived without one. I use it foe everything from banking, navigation, reservations, even phone calls.

4) Home Entertainment, love the big screen LED TV's with surround sound hooked up to a satellite dish. Sure beats the hell out of the 19" B&W TV with rabbit ears (4 channels) I got to watch as a kid. Remember "OH NO! The president is on and he's on every channel"?
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John / My427SC View Post
What do you do when you in the shop or outside in the bright sun? Do you wear safety glasses or sun glasses?
YES – I need a pair of quality sunglasses for driving or fishing. Glare is immense, such as light bouncing off a manhole cover. I don’t notice any “halo” effect from streetlights. I always wear safety glasses in the shop. My eyes were really, really bad, now I (still) have 20/15. Or is it 15/20?

Agreed about the awesome TV’s – I am burning in some old VHS stuff and I use a 19” CRT screen as my “second monitor.” I thought the VHS tapes were degrading, but my friend who is a professional video editor says that’s the way the picture was. How did Kelly Bundy look so good in low-rez?

TV’s are only going to get better!

_
_

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 09-01-2015 at 05:55 PM.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 PM
www.myraceshop.com

I know it's not the pub, but I gotta go with "boob jobs".

They've come a long ways, and seem to just keep getting better.

Don't know if that falls under medicine or home entertainment, but I do love me some larger, perky boobs.

GTM/Corvette/Racing Parts

Solution "kits" for some common GTM issues.

"How To" videos, including bodywork, frame, suspension, vehicle layout-all coming soon.

"Choose Freedom Over Freebies"
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

^^^

agreed and DEFINITELY a California thing

there used to be a website some thing like: "are they real or are they fake .com" and you guess 100 photos and get a score. would be tougher nowadays. i have several female friends that have had boobjobs and i never knew!

_
_

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:38 AM
FFCars Craftsman

I have to agree about the Internet as it has completely changed things. The amount of information at ones fingertips is amazing albeit some of it is worthless.

Health care I believe has come a long ways with a price but still what they can do today is light years ahead from the 70's and 80's. Still waiting hoping for a cure for cancer the evil bastard.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:27 AM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Clean (er) (ish) air.

I was a kid in Yakima, Washington in the mid-1960's when the orchardists smudged with pots of diesel fuel or stacks of tires lit on fire. The smoke was horrendous! We'd be hacking up tar balls like a 3 pack a day smoker. Glad that nasty practice was outlawed.

Couple more--
No lead in paint
The Cuyahoga River hasn't caught fire in decades
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
  1. LASIK eye surgery – come on guys, this is one of the five senses! I had it done 15 years ago and I can still see perfectly.
  2. Women are better looking. How? No clue.

Maybe there's a connection between these two?

The Grid. I like the grid, it makes me happy. I have no desire to live off the grid. I can, if I have to. But I don't want to. Kind of like eating Iguana.

.boB "Iron Man"
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
HPDE Instructor
FFR 3691K: Dart 427W, Momar 8 Stack EFI, 600'ish hp, TKO, 3.55 TruTrac, Red with Ghost Flames. Gone, but not forgotten.
BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 speed auto, Edelbrock Blower

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:19 AM

I'll throw in digital music. I'm in my mid forties and remember trying to listen to Led Zeppelin on an 8-track or even cassettes. Now I can download all their albums in about 10 minutes and it sounds way better.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:51 AM
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner

In the last 50 years since I was in the 2nd grade...Lets think...

1. Central air
2. More than one bathroom
3. Microwave oven
5. Cable TV and internet
6. Computer
7. Cell Phone
8. Faster cars
9. Even faster women (if you are in the market)
10. More food variety

FFR4373RD MK3, nondonor, DIY options/mods/paint, Lexus indigo/Viper silver, Hydroboost PS&PB/discs/ABS, AC/heat, 3-link/Konis, FMS302E, Holley 600DP/Airgap, 4X4 exhaust, Halibrand deep lip chrome CobraIII, TeamIII spinners, rollbars: chrome full & single

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:39 PM
THRAMP-master
FFCars Captain

Indoor plumbing.

FFR3639. 5.0L + Paxton Novi 1000 = 368 RWHP. Need more twisty roads in Kansas...
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:43 PM

Richard Simmons has faded to obscurity
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron44 View Post
Richard Simmons has faded to obscurity
Once again, it’s a California thing, Richard Simmons is still popular here. He has an 80’s studio, I went there for a birthday party. We dressed 80’s and had loads of fun working out to the go-go's. Not my photo:

https://www.richardsimmons.com/site/slimmons-studio

Richard simmons is a total pissa. this falls under “great entertainment” – there is lots to be had, at least where I live.

_
_

post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

I would have never guessed the air in Yakima, Washington could be fowl, no matter how many trucks would be around.

As far as cancer treatment, there is recent good news – these guys figured out how to un-boil a hard boiled egg. Somehow they can get the proteins to release from themselves and it’s hoped that this can be done with cancer cells to keep them from clumping. (I think that’s why.)

No Yolk! Scientists Unboil an Egg Without Defying Physics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHMY4G9gTPA

_
_

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 09-02-2015 at 07:31 PM.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:42 PM

Without duplicating any of the others already listed ---

Solid State Lighting (LEDs).. These have helped revolutionize numerous devices and have proven to be enormous energy savers.

Lithium ION battery technology - While no where near the end state of battery technology, these batteries are an exponential advancement of this type of energy.

3Dimensional Printer technology - giving businesses around the world the ability to quickly bring proofs of concept to market quickly.

Cure for Cancer --- wishful thinking / dreaming...

Regards - Randy
Racecar & HotRod Fab/Support
1933 Ford Tudor StreetRod
2017 Ford Raptor / 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Snake Farmer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Don't know if that falls under medicine or home entertainment, but I do love me some larger, perky boobs.
And if those fail in the medicine category, there's now Viagra.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:41 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Online shopping - almost anything you want is a couple of clicks away and gets here in a few days. Beats dragging yourself to the mall and the pricing is better.

Add another vote for cars. In addition to the mechanicals that now last way more than 100k, rust seems to be much better controlled. Was pretty common here in the northeast to see rust on 3 year old cars in the 50s and 60s

FedEx - nice to get something in a hurry when you really need it.

Madman in a death machine
My SBF into an Austin-Healey build:
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Superannuated Member

Medicine -- I wouldn't still be kicking if it were 50 years ago.

Medical insurance -- keeps me out of the poor house

Daily drivers -- off-the-lot dramatically reliable get-around-mobiles

Ubiquitous air conditioning -- without which I would never have been able to leave my home state (Colorado --maybe I should rethink this one...)

Personal computers and the internet -- amazing access to all sorts of stuff.

Email -- you can process and respond when you want to, not on somebody else's whim, and you can leave a reliable message

Pocket phones -- replacing land lines, usable anywhere (Help! I hit a deer.), and one of the best features is the "off" button

GK
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:12 AM

It's the simple things for me...

-Andrew-

- If the answer to the question is "the government" it was a stupid question to begin with.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

As far as cancer goes, in human trials, they are now modifying viruses to seek out and attack cancer cells, looks promising for a cure.

FFR 4031K, twin-turbo dart block 331, AOD, 144.91 mph in the 1/4 mile
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:32 AM

I agree with essentially everything that's been mentioned above.

One that I would add to the list is the tremendous advance in medical imaging and image processing. I have been a radiologist for 31 years and have witnessed the introduction of ultrasound, CT scanning and magnetic resonance imaging to the armamentarium with which we diagnose disease. There have been untold advances in all three of these modalities since their introduction that would just amaze the average nonmedical citizen.

I am wowed every day that I get to work at my console (as I am doing right now) and diagnose patients from as many as 15 facilities, as far away as 150 miles, sitting at my workstation with their digital images brought to me instantaneously electronically for 3D and mutiplanar reprocessing that I can do on the fly. I dictate the reports into a voice recognition system, the reports being instantaneously transcribed and posted back to the patient record within seconds. Even I didn't dream of this when I started my career over 30 years ago. It's so much fun that even at the age of 61, I have no intention of retiring anytime soon. I would miss it too much.

A possibly unfortunate byproduct of this advance is that now, virtually everyone with almost any complaint gets some sort of imaging study. While it has sent the specificity of diagnosis off the charts compared to the old days, that has come at a cost. We do a huge number of normal studies ordered by ED physicians, urgent care centers and almost every other primary care specialty, primarily as CYA studies for the ordering physician. The upside is that significant illness is rarely missed these days but the cost to the medical care system is massive.

In the old days, you would go to the emergency room with right lower quadrant pain. A surgeon would be called who would take a careful history, press/thump on the area of the appendix. If the area showed rebound tenderness and if the history was right and if the white blood cell count was right, you'd get an appendectomy. It was a standard expectation that a certain percentage of normal appendixes would be removed in order to get the sick ones. Nowadays, everybody gets a CT scan and no surgeon will operate without one.

All of that aside, we are very fortunate to live in the day where doctors can literally look inside your body with a very high degree of confidence and detail and almost always figure out exactly what's going on.

My hangout...

"No Free Man Shall Ever Be Barred The Use Of Arms"
THOMAS JEFFERSON
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Major

my favorites are:

GPS - remember going on a 4 wheeler excursion and worrying about getting lost…not anymore with a GPS map on your iPhone
LED lighting - cost is way down, they come in 2700K, perfect for all my jobs and my own home
Lithium ion batteries - it's crazy how powerful handheld tools are now, and how long they last. 3000 mah charging in less than 30min.
faster cars - even the toyota Camry can do a 7ish sec 0-60. That was a Mustang GT 5.0 in the 80s!
memory foam posturepedic mattresses

FFR3842, 363ci/600hp, AFR205's, Wilwood 6/4 piston Superlites, Koni DAs, Magnesium bellhousing and Tilton Triple disk clutch, GF5R dog ringed 5 speed, 3link, VPM sway bars, Hoosier A6s, CCW forged wheels, wings, undertray, diffuser

Last edited by trevor; 09-06-2015 at 11:35 AM.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 02:13 PM
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner

rad22,
And I'm fortunate to get to work on all the advanced CT, MR imaging and PACS but taking early retirement at 60 (shortly) because regulation has grown to the point that compliance is a larger part of my career than the engineering/technology. No fun anymore.

Greg

FFR4373RD MK3, nondonor, DIY options/mods/paint, Lexus indigo/Viper silver, Hydroboost PS&PB/discs/ABS, AC/heat, 3-link/Konis, FMS302E, Holley 600DP/Airgap, 4X4 exhaust, Halibrand deep lip chrome CobraIII, TeamIII spinners, rollbars: chrome full & single

Sponsored Links
Advertisement