Flying Mach 6.7....in 1967 Fastest manned aircraft flight ever - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Fire Flying Mach 6.7....in 1967 Fastest manned aircraft flight ever

Very cool read. Enjoy.

47 Years Ago Today: The Fastest Manned Aircraft Flight Ever. | ALERT 5

FFR4277K 302 EFI, IRS, Halibrands, etc... (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 05:04 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Do we know the top speed of an SR-71?

MK3.1 - Under Construction
Coyote 5.0
Tremec 3650

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
dreamer turned builder
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
Mach 3.3 according to the interwebs:

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the SR-71 could be travelling at full tilt, and the X-15 could have passed it like it was stopped, at more than twice the speed. Pretty awesome.

FFR4277K 302 EFI, IRS, Halibrands, etc... (sold)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Going nowhere fast.

The X-15 blurred the lines between airplane and rocket and it's record holder status depends on exactly where a sharp line is drawn. All of it's speed records were in the Stratosphere not the Troposphere.

Got wings? Well so does the Mach 25 space shuttle . . . The SR-71 is the current record holder for manned air-breathing aircraft.

Still an amazing plane/rocket.

Mike

This space for rent.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 06:36 PM
FFCars Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stora View Post
. . . The SR-71 is the current record holder for manned air-breathing aircraft.

Mike
...that we laymen know of.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Going nowhere fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
...that we laymen know of.
True!

Mike

This space for rent.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

With a pair like White must have had I don't know how he sat in the pilots seat. Wow! If you haven't read Chuck Yeagar's book "The Right Stuff" you really need to. Even the movie by the same name was pretty good.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
A friend of mine was involved in a test using an SR-71 flying across China back in the Ď70s. He was an interpreter in the Air Force monitoring Chinese radar communications and according to him during the test it went over Mach 5. One radar station would report they had a blip but then it was gone, then the next station would report the same thing and it continued all across the test area. The Chinese came to the conclusion it was a flying soccer. I went to school with a guy whoís uncle was involved in the SR-71 project. We were discussing the plane and he mentioned the reported top speed of Mach 3 and I said I believed it was over Mach 5 and of course didnít believe me and said he would ask his uncle. The next class secession he didnít try and prove me wrong he just wanted to know where I got my information. Not exactly prof positive but it must be somewhat close.

Bill Lomenick
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

SR-71 Top Speed

Found it on the internet so it must be true.

I actually read something similar at a museum which addressed thermal stress at the canopy to fuselage joints and something to do with the range of movement for the "spikes" in front of the engines to control pressure.

Mach 3.32 is the design cruise speed, but maximum allowable Mach number was dependent on outside air temperature and its effect on compressor inlet temperature (CIT). The pilot was authorized to accelerate to Mach 3.3 as long as CIT remained at or below 427 degrees Centigrade. Speeds exceeding Mach 3.3 were occasionally recorded, but generally the pilot tried to avoid this area of the performance envelope because it placed excessive thermal stress on the airframe.

Some maximum speed milestones:
YF-12A, 1 May 1965, Mach 3.14 (2,070 mph)
A-12, 8 May 1965, Mach 3.29 (2,171 mph)
SR-71A, 28 July 1976, Mach 3.32 (2,193 mph)

The Blackbirds were designed to cruise at 85,000 feet with a useful fuel load and reconnaissance package. Because the A-12 was 20,000 pounds lighter than the SR-71, it had an altitude capability about 3,000 feet higher than that attained by the SR-71 at any given point in a flight profile for missions of the same range.

Some maximum altitude milestones:
YF-12A, 1 May 1965, 80,257 feet
SR-71A, 1968, 89,650 feet
A-12, 14 August 1965, 90,000 feet

In 1975, Lockheed studied the possibility of expanding the flight envelope of the SR-71 with some modifications. The results of several studies concluded the maximum speed limit could be extended to Mach 3.5 for short periods of time. The only structural limit to speeds above Mach 3.5 was a KEAS (knots equivalent airspeed) limit of 420, set by inlet duct pressures and temperatures that exceeded acceptable values. Limited inlet capture-area and excessive engine CIT also limited operation at higher Mach numbers, even with proposed modifications.

Similar studies addressed the possibility of achieving flights well above 85,000 feet. results indicated the SR-71 could briefly reach an altitude of about 95,000 feet in a zoom-climb profile. The proposed mission could have been accomplished with an airplane having a gross-weight of 85,000 pounds. According to the flight profile, the pilot would accelerate from Mach 3.2 to 3.5 at an altitude of 80,000 feet, then zoom to 95,000 feet as speed decreased to normal cruise mach numbers. The airplane would subsequently settle back down to an altitude of about 84,000 feet. Sustained flight above 85,000 feet was limited by wing surface-area and engine thrust capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOTIS BILL View Post
A friend of mine was involved in a test using an SR-71 flying across China back in the ‘70s. He was an interpreter in the Air Force monitoring Chinese radar communications and according to him during the test it went over Mach 5. One radar station would report they had a blip but then it was gone, then the next station would report the same thing and it continued all across the test area. The Chinese came to the conclusion it was a flying soccer. I went to school with a guy who’s uncle was involved in the SR-71 project. We were discussing the plane and he mentioned the reported top speed of Mach 3 and I said I believed it was over Mach 5 and of course didn’t believe me and said he would ask his uncle. The next class secession he didn’t try and prove me wrong he just wanted to know where I got my information. Not exactly prof positive but it must be somewhat close.

Bill Lomenick
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Brian Shul in sled driver talks about being outbound from Libya and over speeding, but doesn't mention how fast..... The mach3.3 is mentioned elsewhere in the book.

I think the Y-12 which was smaller may have recorded some very fast speeds but remains classified

FFR 4091 ... 351W Holley 670, T5Z
Completed 5/25/05........ Sold 3/21/2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bee Keeping:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement