New possibilities for GTM # 71 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
GTM Forum sponsored by Mendeola Powertrain
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing GTM Supercar > Factory Five GTM Forum
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

New possibilities for GTM # 71

A couple of weeks ago there was a GTM on eBay 4 hours from my house. I couldn't resist. So now I have a brunette and a red headed mistress to divide my time between. The car was originally purchased by a company that was going to build cars to sell. I guess that didn't work out so the second owner, who just finished building a Dragon, bought the kit and took it home. Then he decided he wanted to buy a house and couldn't find anyone to take the GTM as a down payment. So eBay was the solution for a quick sale.
The chassis is a roller but there was no cleanup of the original susp pieces so its pretty ugly down there. It's been 4 years since I've been at this stage of the build and I forgot how much there is to do and how much space all the boxes and donor stuff takes up, but I managed to get it all home and squirreled away.
I haven't decided what I will finally do with this car, but I'm real sure I won't put the work into it I did in our current car. I like doing the body and paint stuff. So I will probably start there.
One cool thing is the red head got some brand new drilled and slotted stainless brake rotors. No more rusty rotors on the showy car.

Last edited by sk7500; 05-12-2013 at 02:41 PM..
sk7500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think I was watching that one before you bought it. What's the plan? keep the red one as a primarily show car and build this one more aimed as a regular driver?
Dave46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did I forget something

I bought some new axles from the auto parts store to get the splined axle that goes through the spindle. I have been beating on the inner cv race like it says in the GTM manual but they're not coming off. Am I missing something? Also noticed that the axle does not fit the inner cv joint race as tight as I remember. Hope once I get it off it fits the GTM axle a little better.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Let the doors begin

I gave up on axles for a while but I have been working on the latest addition. Since I have a roller I'll be doing body and paint first and work on the chassis while the paint is drying. (maybe)
The first order of business for me is side windows. I don't have the patience to try and adjust the door and the window to all work in harmony as two separate moving bodies. I liked how the windows look and function on our red car so I wanted to do it again. But this time instead of just building it on the car and leaving it, I'll build the frames on the car and pull molds off of the plugs so I'll have replacements in-case something happens and it will also be lighter. I also did some extensive work on the door jambs on the red car and this time I wanted to see if I could build frames that would fit in a stock body. So I finished the plugs on the driver side, pulled the molds and laid my first set of parts. I laminated the glass channel into the outer skin. The outer skin and channel will be bonded to the outside of the car and then the inside skin will be bonded to the inside of the door and to the outer skin. This allows almost infinite adjustment to make sure the door and frame line up with the stock body. I'll probably do the bonding this week end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2527.jpg (201.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2520.jpg (210.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2521.jpg (208.0 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2519.jpg (219.3 KB, 149 views)
Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just some more pictures

Picture #1 is the outer skin and window channel on the door.
picture #2 is the inner skin in place but not yet bonded.
Picture #3 are the three molds So far.
Picture #4 is what the A pillar will look like when finished
Picture #5 is how the door is cut to make room for the new frames.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2533.jpg (213.8 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2534.jpg (204.8 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2535.jpg (234.0 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg our GTM (304).jpg (125.7 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2530.jpg (205.2 KB, 198 views)
Old 07-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Bakersfield? Sounds exotic, where's that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTM #55
jdpanero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow! Simply Brilliant!
That is one way to remove some of the heartache

GTM # 294
Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20 6 speed
Build site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraser D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

That's pretty cool.
fastthings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

So since you've made molds which means you'll be able to reproduce them what's the possibility of offering them to some of your fellow GTM'ers?

Keith
kbentzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Awesome. Absolutely awesome!
fuzzyjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpanero View Post
Bakersfield? Sounds exotic, where's that?
Bakersfield is the home of two extremely cool red GTMs and one ugly black one. So I agree with your evaluation that it must be a place for exotics. ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbentzel View Post
So since you've made molds which means you'll be able to reproduce them what's the possibility of offering them to some of your fellow GTM'ers?

Keith
Nothing would be cooler than helping out my GTM buddies but I don't know if I'm committed enough to becoming forum vender but if there's enough interest who knows.
First thing I have to do is get this side finished. Then do the other side and from what I remember that's the narrow door with its own challenges. Then I'll have to find the first volunteer that will let me install onto a virgin car to make sure everything fits. It would be awesome if we could just trade out original doors for finished. But I don't know if the bodies are consistent enough for that.

Last edited by sk7500; 07-16-2013 at 11:15 PM..
Old 07-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
Then I'll have to find the first volunteer that will let me install onto a virgin car to make sure everything fits. It would be awesome if we could just trade out original doors for finished. But I don't know if the bodies are consistent enough for that.

I got a Gen 1 that is in line! I can drive them down. let me know.
body is not mounted yet, but should be soon.
mendo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Mendo,
Your body will definantly have to be mounted. Keep watching this thread for progress. When we get closer we'll work out a plan. What would be really cool is if my finished doors would just bolt onto your body. Im assuming ffr has only one body mold so they should be the same, but I don't know if the bodies are that consistent. Guess there is only one way to find out.

I'm trying to take a trip this summer that could take me right through your town. I would love to come by and take a peek at your car if possible? I'll have my first set done by then and could bring them with me.

Last edited by sk7500; 07-17-2013 at 08:30 AM..
Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

WOW! Nice going

So this is what happens in Bakersfield when a builder has an overabundance of time on his hands

Now I wonder what else you have planed for the rest of the car, it should be something else to see, can't wait.

Ron
Old 07-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Smile

Ron,
Either you have a spy camera in my garage or you are very perceptive? It's amazing how your perspective changes when you focus on the problems and not the completion. I don't have that urgency of "I got to get it done so I can drive it". When that itch begins to ail me I just take the red one or for a spin.

Suffering from OCD there are some other things about the build that bug me that I want address. But the side windows and cleaning up the A pillar area always get positive comments from fellow GTM buddies. So I start with that.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Bakersfield is the home of two extremely cool red GTMs and one ugly black one. So I agree with your evaluation that it must be a place for exotics. ��

Nothing would be cooler than helping out my GTM buddies but I don't know if I'm committed enough to becoming forum vender but if there's enough interest who knows.
First thing I have to do is get this side finished. Then do the other side and from what I remember that's the narrow door with its own challenges. Then I'll have to find the first volunteer that will let me install onto a virgin car to make sure everything fits. It would be awesome if we could just trade out original doors for finished. But I don't know if the bodies are consistent enough for that.
I'm not close but I do have "virgin" bodywork. Would love to work with you on the doors. Keep me in mind if you go that route.

You do some awesome work....very impressive.

Joel

Working ever so slowly on GTM #269, Twin Turbo SBC, Ricardo, Kit arrived April 5, 2009

JCHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Mendo,
Your body will definantly have to be mounted. Keep watching this thread for progress. When we get closer we'll work out a plan. What would be really cool is if my finished doors would just bolt onto your body. Im assuming ffr has only one body mold so they should be the same, but I don't know if the bodies are that consistent. Guess there is only one way to find out.

I'm trying to take a trip this summer that could take me right through your town. I would love to come by and take a peek at your car if possible? I'll have my first set done by then and could bring them with me.
Contact me when you are heading this way! I will be happy to have you stop by! I probably can put the body on pretty quick, I am sure it will come back off again anyway!
mendo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

Hi guys,
I've been distracted by a little side project, but I've been working on #71 ever so slowly. The passenger side proved much more problematic than the driver side. I'm going to have to do something creative with the door handle linkage, as the back of the window almost hits the latch when going down. I didn't use out side door handles on our red car so I didn't run into this problem.

I have the passenger window just about done enough to start pulling molds. Just need to put the window back in and check frame fit and function one more time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg right door 1.jpg (237.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg right door 2.jpg (197.2 KB, 148 views)
Old 10-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Have you thought about relocating the door handle to a horizontal position up under the ridge a la 1980s lamborghinis?
Taz Rules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

My goodness it's been a while since posting about #71. Lets see if I can get everyone up to date.
Finished the passenger side window frame molds.
Glassed the bolt plates onto the front of the doors and started the bodywork.
Worked down all the body seams.
Mounted the rear diffuser so the alignment on engine cover could start. Mounted the engine lid, hinges, struts, latch and handle.
Worked on perfecting the hatch to body seams.
Work on getting the rear glass to body fit right. But I'm waiting on a roof scoop to install first.
Finished aligning the front end and worked on the side seam.
Glassed in and rough body worked the headlights.
Mounted the hood release handle and latches and struts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0073.jpg (239.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0071.jpg (234.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.jpg (237.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.jpg (239.2 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by sk7500; 06-09-2014 at 12:11 AM..
Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Hey man,

Just wanted to ask you, do your door frames require you to modify the body? That lip where the window seal would ordinarily go when you use frameless windows is what i mean Also, how does the glass operate within your frames?

Secondly, are you considering perhaps selling door frames kits since you have a mold?

Quote:
Picture #1 is the outer skin and window channel on the door.
picture #2 is the inner skin in place but not yet bonded.
Picture #3 are the three molds So far.
Picture #4 is what the A pillar will look like when finished
Picture #5 is how the door is cut to make room for the new frames.
REV2XS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

The goal was to make this so there was Zero modifications to the body. I have a smaller rubber that pushes onto the body flange the original molding pushes onto. The door frame seals to that. The other goal was to make the windows function like production car windows. I did pretty good on our red car. I'm pretty sure I'll get these to do the same.
One might be able to retrofit these doors onto an already painted car. (MAYBE) But it would be much better to fit them before painting the car. I still need to work on some internal mounting bars and misc hardware to make putting the doors together much easier. But I got tired of working on doors. So a little diversion was needed.

As far as selling retrofit kits or doors. Kind of depends on interest. But the main reason I did the molds is because I suspect this might not be the last GTM I do.

Don't tell my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV2XS View Post
Hey man,
Just wanted to ask you, do your door frames require you to modify the body? That lip where the window seal would ordinarily go when you use frameless windows is what i mean Also, how does the glass operate within your frames?

Secondly, are you considering perhaps selling door frames kits since you have a mold?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
I'd definitely be interested in getting a door frame kit

My door frames arent bad, but they are far from perfect and the windows do open and close, but the motors are straining a little more than i'd like. There is no way to adjust them so that they dont strain. The only thing to do is to have new door frames.

Quote:
The goal was to make this so there was Zero modifications to the body. I have a smaller rubber that pushes onto the body flange the original molding pushes onto. The door frame seals to that. The other goal was to make the windows function like production car windows. I did pretty good on our red car. I'm pretty sure I'll get these to do the same.
One might be able to retrofit these doors onto an already painted car. (MAYBE) But it would be much better to fit them before painting the car. I still need to work on some internal mounting bars and misc hardware to make putting the doors together much easier. But I got tired of working on doors. So a little diversion was needed.

As far as selling retrofit kits or doors. Kind of depends on interest. But the main reason I did the molds is because I suspect this might not be the last GTM I do.

Don't tell my wife.
REV2XS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

[QUOTE=REV2XS;4017369]I'd definitely be interested in getting a door frame kit X2
kbentzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

mee tooo!

I have a gen one, 253, haven't got the body on yet. am north of you about 6 hours.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #26 (permalink)

Picked up my LS1 from Home Depot last week. ?

Actually I met the delivery truck in the parking lot of Home Depot. I bought the motor from Kalstar last year about this time and he graciously stored it for me until I was ready. Thanks Jim.
I Pulled it down to the Long block for cleaning. I actually got it all put back together except the exhaust and AC compressor. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures so you'll just have to trust me me. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor front.jpg (189.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Motor 2.jpg (232.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-23-2014, 12:02 AM   #27 (permalink)

My girl got a new hat

Received my roof scoop last week and installed it this weekend.
I cut the roof and created an opening into the engine bay for fresh air in. It also allows hot air out of the engine bay when not moving. Also started fitting the rear glass. Just have to build rear 1/4 window scoops, finish up the passenger door and cut the side scoop openings and it'll be ready to primer. Then it's just a lot of block sanding and the body will be ready for paint. Sound easy if you say it fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roof 1.jpg (118.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Roof 2.jpg (114.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Roof 3.jpg (94.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Roof 4.jpg (98.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Actually I met the delivery truck in the parking lot of Home Depot. I bought the motor from Kalstar last year about this time and he graciously stored it for me until I was ready. Thanks Jim.
I Pulled it down to the Long block for cleaning. I actually got it all put back together except the exhaust and AC compressor. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures so you'll just have to trust me me. :-)
Yes Jim is a great guy, really belives in paying it forward, and helping out when can.

BTW: You know the rules

Ron
Old 06-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Received my roof scoop last week and installed it this weekend.
I cut the roof and created an opening into the engine bay for fresh air in. It also allows hot air out of the engine bay when not moving. Also started fitting the rear glass. Just have to build rear 1/4 window scoops, finish up the passenger door and cut the side scoop openings and it'll be ready to primer. Then it's just a lot of block sanding and the body will be ready for paint. Sound easy if you say it fast.
Steve nice work, I like your approach on the roof, but.....

Can you slow down, I'm taking notes here, and I can't keep up with your "left coast" speed talking there

Ron
Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #30 (permalink)

Got a chance to put some more motor stuff on. Mounted the flexplate/flywheel and trans adapter plate. I had the pressure plate and disk mounted but couldn't find long enough metric bolts to put it back on the stand so I had to pull it back off. I just hope everything will bolt together when I try to put the trans on. I'll probably try to mate the two on the bench before wrestling it in the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine front.jpg (147.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Engine clutch view.jpg (154.2 KB, 60 views)